Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen is LOUD -- Sound Deadening My Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:31 AM
suprpwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injen is LOUD -- Sound Deadening My Trunk?

So I recently installed the popular Injen SES straight tip exhaust. Now, I've been around exhausts before and all, but this darn thing is beginning to give me a headache.

I guess it's not so much as loud, per se, but the low-note noise and the vibrations. Right at about 2k-2.5k RPMs the tone of the exhaust is so deep it rattles all kinds of things in my car and literally hurts my ears. So much so I try my best to get out of the range as quickly as possible. And interestingly, the thing is MUCH more quiet at 3k and above (an aggressive note, but not that lound). Is this normal?

This is really surprising to me. So I'm thinking of getting some dynomat or sound deadening stuff to stick in my trunk area (where the spare is) to try and help the situation. Any thoughts?

(and I don't have test tipes or HFC...just an Pop)
Old 03-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by suprpwr
So I recently installed the popular Injen SES straight tip exhaust. Now, I've been around exhausts before and all, but this darn thing is beginning to give me a headache.

I guess it's not so much as loud, per se, but the low-note noise and the vibrations. Right at about 2k-2.5k RPMs the tone of the exhaust is so deep it rattles all kinds of things in my car and literally hurts my ears. So much so I try my best to get out of the range as quickly as possible. And interestingly, the thing is MUCH more quiet at 3k and above (an aggressive note, but not that lound). Is this normal?

This is really surprising to me. So I'm thinking of getting some dynomat or sound deadening stuff to stick in my trunk area (where the spare is) to try and help the situation. Any thoughts?

(and I don't have test tipes or HFC...just an Pop)
What you are refering to is drone and dynomatting will only help a little. If you want to get rid of it, look into getting an H-pipe installed along with a set of additional resonators
Old 03-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Strife350z

+1

get an x-pipe installed... I pioneered the idea on the injen... turns it into a different beast entirely

-regain low-end torque
-retain majority of high-end gains
-reduce drone significantly
-smooth out idle
-regain signature Z exhaust note

i highly recommend it
Old 03-24-2006, 06:42 AM
suprpwr

eh.....appreciate the input and all, but if those are my options, I'd probably just sell it

(have never been able to find a shop to do exhaust work like that, and that additional piece would run me another few hundred bucks)
Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 AM
one350zfan

I believe you could get a shop to weld an H pipe for $30-$40.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Strife350z

stainless x-pipe with resonator cost me 100 CDN

in the DC area you should have more than enough capable shops to do it

ANY non-restrictive exhaust will have some element of drone... it's basic exhaust harmonics at work... can't do much about it unless you stick with a stock system (or restrictive one)
Old 03-24-2006, 06:55 AM
lil ze

I had the same problem, sold mine. I do miss it some times though like when I'm driving through parking garages.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:10 AM
suprpwr

Originally Posted by Strife350z
stainless x-pipe with resonator cost me 100 CDN

in the DC area you should have more than enough capable shops to do it

ANY non-restrictive exhaust will have some element of drone... it's basic exhaust harmonics at work... can't do much about it unless you stick with a stock system (or restrictive one)
any particular x-pipe you purchased? and I suppose it just takes the place of one of the sections, or is it a totally custom job?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:22 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry but I can't hear a word that you are saying. Please speak up.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Strife350z

Originally Posted by suprpwr
any particular x-pipe you purchased? and I suppose it just takes the place of one of the sections, or is it a totally custom job?
I did all the measurements beforehand so it was a straight-forward replacement. Steps were:

1. saw off resonators
2. mount x-pipe+muffler (i bought the magnaflow x-muffler; it's a straight-through dual-in dual-out design with an x-pipe integrated in the center)
3. weld

Simple as far as custom exhaust work goes. If you decide to go the same route as I did with the magnaflow x-muffler, make sure you order the 2" one. I made the mistake of ordering the 2 1/4 inch and my shop had to install reducers to prevent restriction (the injen piping is really only a tad over 2 inches).

Also, for step 3 you can opt for either a MIG or TIG weld... TIG welds look nicer and last longer but costs more and not many shops can do it... I went with a MIG weld... It's lasted a year including a *salted* canadian winter without any problems. If it ever cracks or rusts I'll just spend 20-40 bucks and have it redone.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Strife350z

btw... i didn't do this mod because i thought the injen was loud... the x-pipe dropped the DB by 1 or 2 notches, but honestly, the injen is already pretty quiet as far as straight-through exhausts go... have you ever heard the RSR or TopSpeed in real life? those are loud...

so before you do this mod, realize that it's not a 'cure' for the louder sound... it reduced the drone a fair bit... but dropping another 100 dollars into the exhaust may not ultimately yield your desired outcome... fact is, it will never be as quiet as stock

my motive for the x-pipe was, based on thorough research, an attempt at regaining the signature Z exhaust note. It achieved that. I always felt that the 'stock' injen sounded a lot more like a pair of angry 3-cylinders than 1 mean 6-cylinder... but I loved everything else about it (weight, looks, performance), so had to go the custom route.

Last edited by Strife350z; 03-24-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by lil ze
I had the same problem, sold mine. I do miss it some times though like when I'm driving through parking garages.
+1 but I never miss it, got the Nismo and parking garages are even more fun.

Chris
Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
+1 but I never miss it, got the Nismo and parking garages are even more fun.

Chris

i <3 parking garages as well ^_^
Old 03-24-2006, 10:01 AM
suprpwr

just gonna get myself some mad-*** dynomat or something at least so my eardrums don't rattle anymore
Old 03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
FairLadeeeZ

anyone have pics of their exhaust with the x or h pipe?? Please post. I have a custom 2.5" true dual cat back exhaust. There are 2 pipes that come straight from the cats and are center exit. There are only 4 resonators on it, no muffler. 2 resonators on the pipes in the middle section and 2 closer to the tips. The car sounds great, but there is that drone that is described above.. around 2 - 2.5k and when i hit 3k over it is a lot better.... I would like to do this mod if it will help with the drone cuz i plan on getting hfcs or test pipes soon
Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Suprpwr,

Bro, dyno mat won't get you where you want to be. You need to either sell the exhaust or do some significant modifications to the one you have now.

H or X will help but you will also need to add more resonators or larger resonators to cut down the sound. Even then you can't fully predict the results until you put it all together.

Drone sucks.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:50 AM
DRFTR

Default HUSH Mat

my buddy has Nismo Headers, intake, and exhaust with AAM test pipes... the car is insanely loud for a mild exhaust system...

we covered the trunk area with HUSH mat... it's a similar product to dynamat... we use it at my car stereo shop... but lighter...

IMENSELY reduced the sound with in the car... BELIEVE ME....
Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Strife350z

folks... dynamat and other 'insulation' type sound deadening will only filter out the high pitched sounds... it will only marginally help with the deep rumble from most aftermarket exhausts

*think* water is a pretty good sound insulator, if you scream under water, no one will hear you outside a 3 ft radius... yet whales, who omit deep low-frequency sounds can be heard for miles

stupid example but you get the idea
Old 03-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta agree with Strife.
I dynamatted the heck out of my G35 because of the stillen exhaust drone. The dynamatting clearly helped but it still wasn't enough.

The best solution is to deal with the sound at the source. Kill it before it exits the exhaust tips. (resonators or mufflers) Once it leaves the exhaust and goes into the atmosphere its hard to control.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:16 PM
jondimellow

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
i <3 parking garages as well ^_^

i <3 tunnels

Quick Reply: Injen is LOUD -- Sound Deadening My Trunk?