Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N or pop-charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok by pure design...K&N typhoon wins.

Why?

For starters it isolates the filter from the under the hood heat from the engine. Also it has the front mounted intake which is supposed to draw in cool air.

BUT...

My only gripe about the K&N is that the intake tube does tend to get hot. I notice my intake temps sometimes are 20 degrees higher than the outside air temps. Hot air....loss of power

SO...

What i plan to do is but an intake tube insulator that wraps around the intake tube and blocks about 95% of the heat and I also plan to line the inside if the box the filter sits in with some heat insulation.

Less heat=MORE POWA!! or MORE RELIABLE POWA!!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly, heat soak is the killer of all higher performance intakes out there.
There have been tests done out there where they have found that the intake pipes themselves on cold air intakes heat up to the point where they do not outperform JWT, or even a stock box with K/N filter. Heat is the killer here. JWT keeps the stock plastic tube, which is better than the metal used by other intakes. Sure a cold air intake will be better, initially, but wait till the intake heats up. This is why the JWT is so popular.

The K/N intake scoop that sits in the front bumper of the typhoon intakes does indeed work, however because it doesn't feed directly into the filter, or directly into a fully closed airbox, it's hard to say how much of that "forced up " air really gets to the filter, and then into the motor... The best intake by design is still the Gruppe M in my opinion, however even it didn't outperform my JWT that I use now. spending tons of money on an intake isn't practical on this car, nor is it worth it for performance etc...
Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 AM
DaytonaZ9

So in all actuality the JWT is the "best" one out there?? If all the other ones are gonng heat up anyway. Will it make that big of a difference to get the K&N just for the look then?? Do they make some sort of insulator that can go on the K&N?? I just like tha look of the K&N, it performas pretty much the same as JWT, and I have had K&N's before and I liked them. Would I get any more power from the JWT or not??
Old 04-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony and DaytonaZ9:

It's really hard to prove intake performance on a dyno. How to say one is better than another is very difficult.

When you're putting the car under load but not moving anywhere, the air pressure around the intake is going to be at atmospheric pressure.

When you're driving at 60mph, the air flowing around your front bumper where it gets sucked into the intake is moving quickly relative to your car, so it will be at a lower pressure (Bernoulli's Principle).

I think intakes like the K&N Typhoon attempt to build up some additional pressure in the local region here the intake filter lies, so it does not become victim of lower-than-ambient pressures.

Now there's even more going on in this picture, because the air in parts of your engine bay will be roughly stagnant, whereas the air in the local region of the filter will be flowing rather quickly.

There are so many variables when testing intakes, it's very hard to say which one's best for practical applications. I think the only way to do it would be to dyno each intake while the dyno and car are mounted on a flatbed truck going at different rates of speed: 30mph, 60mph, 90mph. I have never seen of or heard of such a test (but maybe when I get out of grad school I will have the first "mobile dyno" )

Then you will see which intakes are TRULY better at making power when airflow around the car is not stagnant. Plus, this will answer the questions such as "does the Varis air duct really make HP?" etc.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
There are so many variables when testing intakes, it's very hard to say which one's best for practical applications. I think the only way to do it would be to dyno each intake while the dyno and car are mounted on a flatbed truck going at different rates of speed: 30mph, 60mph, 90mph. I have never seen of or heard of such a test (but maybe when I get out of grad school I will have the first "mobile dyno" )
Heh, so drop out now, you've made me curious.

Just kidding of course.......kind of.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well, stock the car has a vent in the core support for air to feed through to the filter. air is already being pushed into that section of the engine bay, without any help of tubes or intake scoops. So the filter say on a pop charger is also getting cooler air pushed to it, just like the stock one does. It wont' be as good of air direction as a K/N or gruppe M, but it's still air direction to the filter non-the less. So you can expect similar results on a dyno, as well as under load when driving, since air is still being forced to the same location etc.... The differences that the air scoops make in performance really cannot be felt IMO.
However, i did notice that when i had my gruppe m intake, that at higher speeds, it felt like it had more power, than any other setup i had before or after (albeit, a small difference)..,...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
bluezee

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
Ok by pure design...K&N typhoon wins.

Why?

For starters it isolates the filter from the under the hood heat from the engine. Also it has the front mounted intake which is supposed to draw in cool air.

BUT...

My only gripe about the K&N is that the intake tube does tend to get hot. I notice my intake temps sometimes are 20 degrees higher than the outside air temps. Hot air....loss of power

SO...

What i plan to do is but an intake tube insulator that wraps around the intake tube and blocks about 95% of the heat and I also plan to line the inside if the box the filter sits in with some heat insulation.

Less heat=MORE POWA!! or MORE RELIABLE POWA!!

That's exactly what I did. I used the Thermotec sleave to wrap the intake and Thermotec adhesive sheets to wrap the outside of the box. If done properly you can also seal the box somewhat to keep hot engine air from entering the box.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:22 AM
ncy

so does that mean that getting an air duct ie. varis, would be more effective in bringing cool air directly to the filter thus increasing hp, well atleast effective and lasting hp? thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 08:23 PM
ZWildZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think of this one...

http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-648-2...2003-2005.aspx

AEM cold air intake....
Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
HockeyZ39

I have seen a few posts of people saying AEM CAI losing hp. My car came with it, so I really cannot say. I plan on getting the Typhoon very soon, and also heat shielding the air inlet tube and the box.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
jwales

Has anyone tried using an air scoop type setup (i.e. Typhoon) with the PopCharger? I love the sound I get from the PopChyarger but my engine after even normal driving is so hot that it cannot be touched for hours - including the metal JWT box - everything under the hood is sizzling. I need to find a way to cool this thing down - any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. This is also without there being much ambient heat outside as I live in Portland, OR.

Last edited by jwales; 06-13-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jwales
Has anyone tried using an air scoop type setup (i.e. Typhoon) with the PopCharger? I love the sound I get from the PopChyarger but my engine after even normal driving is so hot that it cannot be touched for hours - including the metal JWT box - everything under the hood is sizzling. I need to find a way to cool this thing down - any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. This is also without there being much ambient heat outside as I live in Portland, OR.
This would be a fairly simple thing to DIY. Buy some parts at the hardware store and have at it

I remember back in the day, maxima owners were making what they called an "OSCAI"

or "ooglie stock cold air intake" basically just feeding cold air to the air box using a scoop and some flexible tubing.

Do it!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 5.5rwhp on the before/after dyno install.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 AM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by DaytonaZ9
I know the gains are close to the same as far as these two intakes go. Are they both short ram?? I keep seeing an extra tube coming down from the K&N. Is it CAI or not?? Which one should I get from a performance stand point?? I think the K&N looks better even though it is more expensive. What do yall think??
Z's stock intake is already pretty good. For piece of mind, please drop in K&N filter if you want performance.
I have to find out a hard way with my HKS RS intake. Do a search yourself, lots of people have problems with engine stall, rough idle. Z's computer & MAF acts so weird with aftermakeet intake. Dealer had to replace ECU and throttle body on my Z(I put back the stock intake and brought it to dealer). Of course I couldn't tell them it was the hks intake that caused problem(still under warranty)

Some people have no problem with aftermarket intake some do. Take your chance.
Unless you want your engine to stall at 90mph on freeway, your choice.

Last edited by VN_350z; 06-14-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 AM
HockeyZ39

Originally Posted by Armitage
I got 5.5rwhp on the before/after dyno install.
After installing the JWT/Typhoon? Or after you routed some tubing to the short ram?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:33 AM
HockeyZ39

Just get a real big fan to blow at the scoop? =) Running someone can be different each time, thats not a good method to judge a mod at all. You get different launches, different timing, different gear changes each time which lead to a very undependable test.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Unorthodox_Z

How low does the Typhoon extend down? I want to get one of those Varis Air Ducts that goes on the front bumper like on Alberto's ride but if that tube goes down too far there would be no point to it other than cosmetics.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Popcharger over all the rest. Easy choice.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
2 low Z

Those with a Popcharger style intake looking for more air. This may not be a bad option.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/162749-evo-r-front-air-duct-tube-kit-installed.html

Old 06-28-2006, 05:08 PM
xNeo

The K&N tube seems to go low, is there any chance of Hydro-lock or whatever its called? I'm also looking for an intake and I always thought when it comes to the Z nothing is better than the pop charger. I was thinking of Getting one of these two intakes with test pipes and nismo exhast. What should my gains roughly be? 10 hp to the wheels?

Quick Reply: K&N or pop-charger