Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Dyno of BONE stock -vs- 5/16" spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
BrianV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno of BONE stock -vs- 5/16" spacer

Does such a dyno exist? I've searched and read for days and haven't found a good dyno comparison.

I'd also be interested in seeing what happens when an MREV+ or MREV++ is added.

Thx
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
BrianV

Also how did the sound change with just the spacer? I'm not interested in a popcharger since I feel they just make more noise and in some cases cause a loss of power. I installed the Stillen CAB on my G35 and the car got ricey sounding and felt slower and rougher.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question. I have not really seen any dynos of this that satisfied me.

There is the "sport Z magazine plenum blowout" whatever dyno that is listed on motordyne's website, but I sure would like to see some dynos that don't look so crowded.

As to your question about the sound: it is really not much different, just slightly deeper (lower tone) and slightly louder.

+1 on the popcharger, I had a long discussion with the dyno operator (Sean) at Church's as well as Tony, and Matt (Z BOY). It may help flow more air if you need to (i.e. high flowing system with headers and big exhaust, goal being high RPM range hp gain) but I have a strong feeling that it may do more harm than good if you don't need it.

I have no proof, this is just my intuition. Plus, the stock intake is very good and sucks cooler air than a popcharger.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 PM
bacalhau16

i have a pop charger and motordyne 5/16, i think it just lowered the tone by just a hair, and then the intake screams after 4.5k. Personally, i like the sounds, but do think its a little loud. I do feel as if the mods helped in my car overall, my only proof is improve better gas mileage as i do not have a dyno of before and after.

i understand your specualtion and was am also interested in seeing this dyno.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There are countless dynos sprinkled all over this board and on G35driver. Problem is they aren't easy to find among a million other posts.

The easiest one found is the SZM dynos on our website.
http://motordyneengineering.com/dynos.asp

Yes, there are other comparative dynos there too and a lot of detailed analysis.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:31 AM
BrianV

Thanks Hydrazine. I remember talking to you long before you got into this spacer thing. You had fabricated a sound baffle to go around the G35S Stillen exhaust. I don't know if you remember me from way back then, but you seem to know your stuff.

Don't take it personally, but I typically don't look at manufacturer's dynos. However, I do want to recommend that you organize the dyno's on your page better. For instance, we don't know if the dyno's are on stock cars or if there are other mods involved. If you could provide a little more info it'd be helpful.

To the popcharger guys: My days of heavy modding are over. Even the popcharger changes the sound of the car too much (and I think it's a negative sound). I'm looking for mods that don't affect the sound of the car but provide decent gains over the majority of the power band.

Thx
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure I remember you Brian.

Yeah, I'll check into the dyno section to see what can be done to more clearly describe the test conditions.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 05-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Shift2win

i had the Skunk 2 intake plenum spacer on my Z with a pop charger...it sounded sick..it droned out any exhaust done..it sounded awesome..but was pretty loud inside...hadda take it off to get warranty work done..but ima put it on ASAP...bad thing is..itl make your manifold rub your hood >:-D