Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006 | 09:18 PM
StarcraftBW

those may be collapsed under extreme
Old 05-27-2006 | 09:43 PM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by StarcraftBW
those may be collapsed under extreme
What you see is the thinest part, it gets thicker as it goes back. Most of the runners are still over 1/2-3/4 inch think. It would be a potential problem for a turbo car but not N/A. The runners are still a lot thicker than any spot on the upper plenum.
Old 05-27-2006 | 09:47 PM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by ZON
Wow you have an exceptional level of patience
I am showing this to my wife tomorrow, she will get a kick out of that comment. I think she may disagree with you.
Old 05-27-2006 | 10:22 PM
Zincognito

cant wait to see what comes out of this
Old 05-27-2006 | 10:33 PM
Quamen

Looks like it is coming along well. Good luck and hopefully you get some good gains.
Old 05-28-2006 | 06:14 PM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by Quamen
Looks like it is coming along well. Good luck and hopefully you get some good gains.
Some people are telling me that I may have shot the powerband out of the usable RPM range.......I can't say the car feels that way but the dyno will tell us where things are. I went from stock to the first pics with the cut runners and saw the change at about 4000 rpms, I drove it like that for about a week. The latest pics were done yesterday so I don't have much driving time in on it but I can't say I feel a difference from the first cuts to present. As for loosing any power.....I don't think that has happened. With the VDC on I hit second and the rear tires did more than chirped, 3rd gear chirped. In 4th I hit 110 mph and still had a little rpm range left before the red line.
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:28 PM
StarcraftBW

Cool, very well done man....i am very positive with the result you will get.... keep us an update

Originally Posted by MurphysZ
What you see is the thinest part, it gets thicker as it goes back. Most of the runners are still over 1/2-3/4 inch think. It would be a potential problem for a turbo car but not N/A. The runners are still a lot thicker than any spot on the upper plenum.
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:33 PM
MurphysZ

I would like to hear what some opinions/guesses for the Dyno Results are from some of you? Total Max HP and Torque
Old 05-29-2006 | 11:43 AM
rkd350z

it's out of topic question, but, what is your shift ****?
Old 05-30-2006 | 11:37 AM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by rkd350z
it's out of topic question, but, what is your shift ****?
I honestly don't know/can't remember......
Old 05-30-2006 | 02:36 PM
MurphysZ

I just got a message from the performance shop, they have to push me back to Friday........
Old 05-31-2006 | 05:38 PM
momo 350z

dam murphy that sucks..what time did they push you back??maybe i can meet you up there with the camera in hand..
Old 05-31-2006 | 06:32 PM
MurphysZ

Now it changed to Sunday, they are having a dyno day and runs are $55 with A/F!! I already paid for my runs.
Old 05-31-2006 | 06:41 PM
baileyrx

That pic with the hack saw hanging there is classic.

Should go into the DIY Hall of Fame

great work though, this is how we all learn about our cars. Nissan may or maynot have tried this. Good luck with the dyno runs
Old 05-31-2006 | 07:36 PM
MurphysZ

I knew someone would get a kick out of that
Old 06-01-2006 | 02:25 AM
aleok

looks get Murphy, about ur top plenum polishing (outside) what did u use to get it shinny? the flap wheel doesn't leave it exactly smooth and so far i've been smoothing it out my hand, which takes forever!
Old 06-01-2006 | 07:56 AM
MurphysZ

Originally Posted by aleok
looks get Murphy, about ur top plenum polishing (outside) what did u use to get it shinny? the flap wheel doesn't leave it exactly smooth and so far i've been smoothing it out my hand, which takes forever!
The polishing is something completely different. If you have the plenum sanded down with the flap wheel, from there I worked it by hand, 400 girt sandpaper, then wet sand with 320, then 600. After that you need buffing wheels and compounds. Make sure you sand in the same direction, just like if you were sanding a piece of wood. Keep the flap wheel turning in the same direction all of the time. When you start sanding, you establish a grain in the metal, trying to cross sand will result in more scratches. At Sears they also have a 3 inch abrasive wheels, they are labled fine, medium, and course. I've been using in on for a couple of different things. The wheels are a redish brown in the same section as the flap wheels in Sears. You have to have all scratches out before you use it, it does not remove metal, it just smooths it. The wheels are also good for smoothing out and areas you may have hit where the gasket sits between the upper an lower plenum too. Dremel also sells thsese wheels for the tighter spots, they remove any dirt or grease and help smooth it down, it makes it easier to polish. I'm doing some polishing tonight, I'll take a few pics for you. From the I pics I have up you can see where I started polishing the engine cover. I haven't polished before this so if someone knows a better way, please post info. Polishing is a boring job.....I cut off and filed down some of the tabs on the front of the plenum so I have to repolish some of it it. I had mine to a mirror finish but everything that touches it will leave a mark. Do Not use a wire wheel, it will pit the metal and you will be sanding forever. I made that mistake.
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:07 AM
sq40

I can't wait to see the results Murph.. Good Luck Man!!
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:34 AM
MurphysZ

Default Polishing

Here are pics from where I am with polishing now. The bracket holding the coolant line is one that I made. I am going to reroute the hose to get it off of the engine cover all together but here are some work in progress pics for you guys. I'm doing the engine cover on the car so the engine bay is dirty.
Attached Thumbnails Upper and Lower Plenum Porting with Dyno-dscn0196.jpg   Upper and Lower Plenum Porting with Dyno-dscn0197.jpg  
Old 06-01-2006 | 08:36 AM
MurphysZ

.....I just can't seem to take a good pics under the hood.... It actually looks better in person than the way the pics show it.

Quick Reply: Upper and Lower Plenum Porting with Dyno