Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

High flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:59 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
there's a new and old version - the old version is ~8-10months old and incorporate a bracket to use stock support - they had lots of problems cracking (because of the brace)......newer version doesn't have a brace and doesn't have any notorious cracking problems.........don't buy used kinetix unless you're certain whether it's the older or newer model.

yes there are
99, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. You read my mind too because I was looking to buy used Kinetix.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zardoz

Has anyone looked into Ichiba high-flow cats?
Those are not true cats. They're RES. Test pipes.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:19 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by Zardoz
Alright, so it didn't get unbareably loud. Thanks for the input.

Did they fit perfectly, or did they have modify anything?
You know, I didn't really respond to the loudness part in my last post. When I hit that resonant spot, really more like 2.5k - 3k rpms at moderate throttle, it is pretty loud. It's loud throughout the band at WOT, but it should be then IMO, and I can avoid the resonance with a real light foot. This is pretty much what I was trying to say earlier, but I thought I could be a little more clear.

You know, hf cats will make any system louder, but not all will resonate at the same place as this one. I'm not a big fan of noise for the sake of noise, but I am OK with this, just with everyone's tolerance being different I didn't want you to think it is quiet. And I do find myself driving to avoid the resonance in some situations. Best I can say is give it a go and be prepered to make a change if you end up not liking it. Too bad you aren't local, I'd take you for a spin. I could try to make some clips, but I really think those are pretty worthless without hearing a setup in person.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:16 PM
MyNismoRoadster

I would shop for high flow cats dependant on what catalyst core they use...IE Magnaflow/Carsound, Random, etc.... Crawfords use a very nice Walker high flow unit on their cats, and is constructed of stainless steel as well, this is where the extra cost comes into play as good cats cost alot more then cheap ones.

A few questions someone asked regarding highflow cats:

1) It is NOT LEGAL TO ALTER OR CHANGE THE FACTORY CATS IN ANYWAY, high flow cats or no cats you are just as illegal and should be used for offroad use only. (many use it on the street but thats all on you).

2) You will void all emmision related warranties by removing the cat, wether you used a testpipe or highflow cats, they are not to be altered in anyway. If you need warranty work thats emmision related put the stock ones back on prior to service. (Bascially you can put testpipes on or highflows, and either way you just voided your emission warranty only, just simply put the stock cats back on before any related service).