Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N Typhoon Height??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Unorthodox_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon Height??

Ok, I've got a Popcharger but I was checking into the K&N Typhoon for looks and sound. But I was looking at pictures on the unit and I noticed that the intake itself goes down really far. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly how far down it goes. I want to put on one of those Varis Air Ducts that draw air through the bumper like on Alberto's ride but if the intake is going to be drawing air from below that it would be pointless. I searched the site and checked a ton of different picture archives but I couldn't find anything that actually showed where the end goes. If someone can tell me, it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Roggan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Typhoon intake draws air from the stock air intake hole, basically its a replacement for the stock intake filter housing with a cone filter in it.

So if the air duct works with the stock intake or popcharger, it will work with the Typhoon.

/Roger
Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Unorthodox_Z

Originally Posted by Roggan
The Typhoon intake draws air from the stock air intake hole, basically its a replacement for the stock intake filter housing with a cone filter in it.

So if the air duct works with the stock intake or popcharger, it will work with the Typhoon.

/Roger
Cool, that's what I like to hear!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Gary King

The K&N Air Charger draws air from the factory location but the Typhoon does not. The Typhoon comes with a snorkel that draws air from the opening in the front bumper, see attached picture. It then gets piped through the factory air inlet into the K&N filter box so an air duct really would not help get more air to the filter. We have some more pictures and info on our website at this link: http://www.gridesinc.com/Showroom.html#kn

If you want one let me know, we have them in-stock.

Thanks,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails K&N Typhoon Height??-penske-5.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Unorthodox_Z

Originally Posted by Gary King
The K&N Air Charger draws air from the factory location but the Typhoon does not. The Typhoon comes with a snorkel that draws air from the opening in the front bumper, see attached picture. It then gets piped through the factory air inlet into the K&N filter box so an air duct really would not help get more air to the filter. We have some more pictures and info on our website at this link: http://www.gridesinc.com/Showroom.html#kn

If you want one let me know, we have them in-stock.

Thanks,
Gary
I knew it!! I thought that thing looked a little long to be in the factory location! Is it visible through the opening? Does it get in the way of the radiator?

Also, I live in Arizona so its wicked hot all the time. Is the Typhoon any better in extreme heat than the Popcharger?

Edit: Forget the visible question, I'm a dork... I just looked at the pic, lol

Last edited by Unorthodox_Z; 06-28-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Gary King

Just added to our online store for a pretty good price:
http://storesense.megawebservers.com...tail.bok?no=69
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 PM
m1james@bellsou

Can this actually increase HP? With an aluminum pipe that conducts ambient heat better than plastic in a hot engine bay it seems like it would deliver hotter air than stock. More heat = less HP?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Gary King

This gets debated allot here, my philosophy is that the K & N Typhoon and the Injen CAI both make the car feel stronger so, I don't see hotter air being a problem. Besides, the air is being pulled through the piping at a decent rate, it's not sitting in there getting baked. We did G-Tech Performance Meter Testing before and after Injen CAI install and we dropped about 2/10 th's of a second off our 0-60. Add that to them looking cool and having a nice sound to them, I think it is a good mod. You will see posts of people saying the stock set up is as good as it gets, you really just have to draw your own conclusion and do what makes you happy.

Thanks,
Gary

Originally Posted by m1james@bellsou
Can this actually increase HP? With an aluminum pipe that conducts ambient heat better than plastic in a hot engine bay it seems like it would deliver hotter air than stock. More heat = less HP?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Gary King

Probably not, also if you are looking to buy one of these to get more performance than your Pop Charger I would say don't. Pop Charger and most Cold Air Induction Kits are going to be fairly comparable in terms of performance gains.

Originally Posted by Unorthodox_Z
Also, I live in Arizona so its wicked hot all the time. Is the Typhoon any better in extreme heat than the Popcharger?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the scoop which sits behind the grill. The tab with the hole uses the tow hook threads to attach. So the scoop sits just to the driver side of the tow hook.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:59 AM
m1james@bellsou

Originally Posted by davidv

This is the scoop which sits behind the grill. The tab with the hole uses the tow hook threads to attach. So the scoop sits just to the driver side of the tow hook.
That design looks the best IMO. Curious about your results and does it affect warranty/smog reg's?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by m1james@bellsou
That design looks the best IMO. Curious about your results and does it affect warranty/smog reg's?
Concerning performance, I post time slips regularly in the drag racing forum.
Mod and warranty questions have been addressed many times.
Emission requirement and testing are state unique and better addressed in a regional forum.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 AM
HockeyZ39

I have a link at home where you can pick the Typhoon up for $221, I cannot remember if that was shipped or not though. I also see them go on ebay for just over $200 shipped.