Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Aftermarket exhaust wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust wobble?

Hey folks, I will be installing the Fujitsubo Legalis-R (stainless) system and JIC y-pipe in a few days, and it will be my first exhaust installation on the 350z. I've only installed one cat-back system before and it was on my previous car (Mazda6), and a problem I had is that the piping and mufflers swayed back and forth due to the soft rubber hanger pieces that came with the car. The swaying wasn't extreme enough to cause any audible or mechnical issues, but it really looked crappy. The aftermarket mufflers were a true oval shape whereas the stock mufflers had a funky contour on top which, I believe, fit into heat shields on the bottom of the car and prevented most (if not all) movement. Eventually I bought and installed some really stiff urethane hangers and it solved the problem beautifully.

So based on everyone's experience, will I run into the swaying issue with an aftermarket exhaust system on the 350Z? Obviously I am most curious about the Fujitsubo exhaust specifically, but I think the issue would be common for all OEM-style aftermarket systems for the car. I haven't seen anyone complaining about it, so maybe the stock rubber pieces are stiff enough to keep the system in place...? All input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are installing on a 350Z / G35 you will not have that problem with the Fujitsubo / JIC combo that you are talking about...

The rubber exhaust hangers are pretty strong on the Z/G...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
If you are installing on a 350Z / G35 you will not have that problem with the Fujitsubo / JIC combo that you are talking about...

The rubber exhaust hangers are pretty strong on the Z/G...
Thanks for the input Jason. I was worried that I would have to order some new hangers, further delaying the install process. Hope it all goes well...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope totally fine!

I put NISMO Exhaust Hangers on my NISMO Exhaust (pretty much the exact same thing as the Fujitsubo) and the NISMO Hangers turned out to be not as rigid as the OE rubber hangers... I was supprised...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed -

The OEM hangers actually rock. If you do notice anything and you want to stiffen it up at all, we have added a hanger opposite the driver side mid hanger on the passenger side. There is a stub on the underbody where you can purchase an OEM mount and hanger and have another hanger welded on if you want to make the system even more stout...the hanger and rubber is like $15 form Nissan.

Honestly though - the systems are really built pretty stout. In all my testing, and there has been a lot, I haven't seen a system yet that has wobbled on any of these cars, that is, and out of the box system.

Rick