Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Borla True Dual exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
LEDCreations

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Borla True Dual exhaust Question

I just bought the Borla TD system for my Z. I'm curious? Everyone says its pretty quiet. Has anyone replaced the resonators with straight pipes? If so does anyone have a sound clip and if it sounds like crap? I had a Jetta and a 70 Mustang before my Z and both cars I removed the resonator with just pipe and it made the sound and tone louder and actually more beefy.

Just curious....
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
1nate7

I'd try test pipes or high flow cats first if you think it's too quiet. Also, check out AZ350Z.com for a local site.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to have Borla with test pipe (non res). It's loud and little rasp.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Don't remove the resonators without replacing them with others.

The weakest part of the Borla are the resonators. They are metal mesh packed and not effective at mid to higher RPMs. Once you modify the exhaust or add to it, you are asking for more drone and rasp every step of the way.

Quite honestly - as much as I loved the Borla when I was testing - we modified it, etc as well - as realized that if you didn't like it the way it was, you were better off selling it and getting something else.

It is a great bargain, don't get me wrong, but that is part of the problem. If you just put it on though, give it a few weeks. As part of that bargain, the Borla system will change and get louder and drone on its own. you may like it more over the next few weeks or so, or like it even less due to those other issues.

Rick
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Shame on me for not using this as a marketing opportunity :

www.fastintentions.com

Rick
Old 07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by William@Altered
We just released a true dual exhaust made specifically for Z/G35's that yielded over 19 whp and 16 lbs of torque. I'm not sure about the competition, but this exhaust system looks very stock while maintaining an agressive exhaust note. We are selling it for $1190 so it is priced within your range. I would give it some consideration as it is an excellent product.
19whp and 16lbs of tq ? Hmm...maybe the best exhaust ever made...would you happen to have a dyno for it? Baseline vs. this exhaust? If so...i'd jump on it right away!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Durden76

I've had my Borla on for about 4k mi. and am starting to develop a bit of rasp near redline. Not happy about it. Other than that it's a great catback. I would guess that if you replaced the resonators with straight pipes you would end up with considerable rasp. Not the exhaust note I'm trying to acheive but maybe that's what you're in to. To each his own, I always say. Hope this helps.