Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix High Flow Cats...want to keep stock sound.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 PM
SeinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix High Flow Cats...want to keep stock sound.

I've searched and havent found too much on this specific question. I want to get the Kinetix High Flow Cats to free up the exhaust a bit. However, I don't want the car to sound modified.

Will kinetix high flow cats change the sound of the exhaust much? I should mention that I have an 06 Z and this will be my only exhaust modification....the rest of the entire exhaust system will stay stock.

As long as the sound could be mistaken for stock I'll go with these High flow cats...otherwise it looks like a y-pipe is my only option to getting some increased flow while keeping the stock sound.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 AM
JDM_ZED33

"These 350Z / G35 High Flow Cats replace your factory catalytic converters, letting all the exhaust pass through freely, but not the noise. This gives an equal amount of flow, but without the raspiness. The exhaust note will only be slightly louder then stock, and have a slightly deeper tone."
-(http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1453/1/)
Old 07-25-2006, 12:55 AM
SeinZ

Thanks for the reply.

Can anybody comment on this being the case from personal experience?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Devil Z

Kinda what I'm looking for. But is that the actual exhaust in the picture?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 AM
m1james@bellsou

Originally Posted by SeinZ
I've searched and havent found too much on this specific question. I want to get the Kinetix High Flow Cats to free up the exhaust a bit. However, I don't want the car to sound modified.

Will kinetix high flow cats change the sound of the exhaust much? I should mention that I have an 06 Z and this will be my only exhaust modification....the rest of the entire exhaust system will stay stock.

As long as the sound could be mistaken for stock I'll go with these High flow cats...otherwise it looks like a y-pipe is my only option to getting some increased flow while keeping the stock sound.
I installed Ultimate Racing HFC's and here's a link to the install/comparison to OEM: https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/200485-ultimate-racing-hfc-install-and-oem-comparison.html

It will change the sound as noted and measured by a sound meter. No it wasn't Kinetix but the design should produce similar results. The UR is a better product as it is all stainless, unlike Kinetix and has the OEM mounting bracket too. I bought my UR HFCs at Z1auto.com for less than $500 shiped. They have a 50,000 mile warranty and have had no reports of wrattles, cracks or issues....unlike Kinetix.

I get the impression some people buy brand names without regard to an actual product evaluation or comparison. This is why some of the junk stuff out there gets the bad reports. People don't adequately research the product and buy the cool sounding or recognizeable name. Take Kinetix HFC for example. Why would you install an inferior to stock product? It is not even stainless and will not provide the durability of stainless and is priced like it's stainless. Go figure.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any exhaust modification will alter the exhaust noise.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Gary King

We ran Random Tech cats with the stock exhaust for a few weeks and it still had pretty much the same stock exhaust note, just a little louder.

Gary
Old 07-25-2006, 09:13 AM
SeinZ

m1james- thanks for the reply first off. As for research, I have done quite a bit. I sem to be finding an endless number of people who are saying that Kinetix are good quality and good price. Crawfords I heard are also good but cost more than kinetix, and I have not seen anybody justify the increased price from kinetix to crawford. As far as random technolobg goes, my research tells me that this company had a history of imploding cats....has this problem been fixed? I didnt want to go with high flow cats that would implode while on my car. And why not go with crawford if one is going to pay about the same amount on the random technology units? Crwaford is supposed to be high quality with no imploding issues right?
Thanks again for the replies and help.

Anybody else with high flow cat experience please chime in...the more the merrier!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Gary King

The imploding/collapsing Random Cat problems were isolated to their metallic core versions. They have ceramic versions which is what we run and have not had or heard of problems with these.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound will change. In my case I took them off & placed back my OEM cats as I could not stand the rasp. This was before the TN kit.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 AM
m1james@bellsou

Originally Posted by William@Altered
I know your considering the Kinetic's HFC but I would recommend the AAM High Flow Cats - They are of better quality and will yield better results. I know your looking to keep the stock sound, but unforunately it is very difficult to increase performance through the exhaust without increasing sound

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5..._Code=350Z_EXH
Can you back up these "claims." They also cost $150 more than UR and have no mention of a warranty. Not sure why one would pay more for less.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 AM
m1james@bellsou

Originally Posted by SeinZ
m1james- thanks for the reply first off. As for research, I have done quite a bit. I sem to be finding an endless number of people who are saying that Kinetix are good quality and good price. Crawfords I heard are also good but cost more than kinetix, and I have not seen anybody justify the increased price from kinetix to crawford. As far as random technolobg goes, my research tells me that this company had a history of imploding cats....has this problem been fixed? I didnt want to go with high flow cats that would implode while on my car. And why not go with crawford if one is going to pay about the same amount on the random technology units? Crwaford is supposed to be high quality with no imploding issues right?
Thanks again for the replies and help.

Anybody else with high flow cat experience please chime in...the more the merrier!
People can "say" what they want about a product. You need to look at the qualities and make a decision based on those qualities. Talk is cheap. RT may have fixed their problems based on the comments made here. Crawford appears to be good. Don't recall how the cost compares to UR and if it has warranty or not. Search for any issues and go from there.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:19 PM
JAKE-Z

Question Hi flow cats

I have found by reading the product info of some of these companies that make and market hi-flow cats actually use the carsound or magnaflow brand cat and simply attach their pipe to it and call it theirs. Are we really getting the same cat just with different quality welding and paying hundreds of dollars diffrence?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 PM
m1james@bellsou

Originally Posted by JAKE-Z
I have found by reading the product info of some of these companies that make and market hi-flow cats actually use the carsound or magnaflow brand cat and simply attach their pipe to it and call it theirs. Are we really getting the same cat just with different quality welding and paying hundreds of dollars diffrence?
....bingo. Some folks will pay for a cool sounding brand name and outlandish HP claim. I think you're right, there's only a hand full of core manufacturers and others wrap their pipe/case around it. Some do it well and some don't. Look at all the issues reported in this forum.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:52 AM
iceburns288

I have these exact cats and I love them. They gave a nice boost in power, gave the engine more response, and hardly changed the sound of the car at all. I actually wish it had done more to change the exhaust note, but now that I have the Topspeed on, I think more noise isn't a problem any more!
Old 08-24-2006, 04:57 AM
davidv

What did you order?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
THE TECH

I have the Kinetix as well. I have nothing but praise for them. They are very high quality, give a nice sound and produce more power.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:49 PM
davidv

I just wanted to see if I wasted my time replying to your thread.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 AM
SeinZ

Kinetix....awaiting delivery

Quick Reply: Kinetix High Flow Cats...want to keep stock sound.