Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Good universal mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006 | 07:57 AM
plumpzz

Default Good universal mufflers?

Im about to remove the mufflers I have on my car right now because they're not muffling enough with straight pipes and replace them with another.
Currently im using Aeroturbine 4025i mufflers which are ceramic and hallow, so they aren't really that good at muffling to begin w/ evne though they sound awsome

Anyway, can someone suggest to me a NON JDM muffler? JDM mufflers are too expensive and sound ****ty to me to begin with. I need it to have a 2.5'' outlet or have an integerated tip w/ a 2.5'' inlet. Integerated tip would be pretty cool..

Ive looked at the borla online but they dont have many mufflers, even though i KNOW they have a ton. Theyu just dont have a good online catalog. Ive also heard good things about flowmaster and vibrant??? <-- never haerd of vibrant other than once before though.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2006 | 08:02 AM
dTor

Magnaflow makes good universal mufflers. You may not like most of the Flowmasters because they are chambered and probably louder. I've got Dynomax super turbo mufflers on mine. They are a three-pass, fiberglass packed muffler that do a really good job of keeping things quiet while allowing for better flow. I actually think they are too quiet, but I'm also running a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe upstream, so I'm sure that helps to quiet things up quite a bit. I actually want to eventually switch to something a bit louder.
Old 11-26-2006 | 08:10 AM
plumpzz

heh lets switch I dont have a resonated x pipe so mine is pretty loud. If i could get a resonated X pipe, mysetup would sound MUCH better. Right now i have a small 8 or 10 '' resonator and thats about it. The car sounds quieter without mufflers than it does w/ mufflers haha. But man, they add a AWSOME tone. Im looking for mufflers which can keep the tone and bring down teh sound. I may even concider just adding a resonator upstream.

Ill research on magnaflow and see if i can find 1 i like. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-26-2006 | 10:01 AM
dTor

NP. I'd love to switch with you, but the mufflers I have don't fit just right, even with the shop working on them. Problem is that they can't get them to fit symmetrically because of the center/offset design. If the mufflers were offset/offset, then it would be all good, but as it turned out, they had to mount each muffler opposite the other (center in/offset out for one and offset in/center out for the other) to get them to fit under there at all, and so they aren't mounted alike (they don't mirror each other, if you will).

Moral of the story: make sure the mufflers you get will fit, and get offset/offset.
Old 11-26-2006 | 10:07 AM
plumpzz

Im gonna just get a general idea of mufflers and let my exhaust shop make the final pick since they're doing the work. Im going to have them rework the entire rear of the SVRT exhaust since its angled, and im planning on getting a body kit and angled exhasuts dont work too nicely w/ kits. Also, ill have more room around the retarded placed evap canister case. Either way, ive spent like 2000 on exhausts looking for the perfect setup, and im almost there.
Old 11-26-2006 | 10:13 AM
chimmike

i can tell you almost any muffler will not quiet it enough to your liking nor sound decent with straight pipes/test pipes. Only a resonator will quiet it down.
Old 11-26-2006 | 10:17 AM
plumpzz

Im still unsure of what are the differences between a resonator and a muffler. Ive looked up resonators and they're just as expensive and i think they are just the part that quiet downs the exhaust. Ive already looked into that, thansk Chimmike.

Btw, the exhaust is quiet relatively because of the X pipe. In other words, w/o teh X pipe, the exhaust would be retarded loud.
Old 12-16-2006 | 11:48 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by chimmike
i can tell you almost any muffler will not quiet it enough to your liking nor sound decent with straight pipes/test pipes. Only a resonator will quiet it down.
You were pretty wrong :-P. The muffler i have just change the sound, they dont quiet it down. With flowmaster's muffler, it got MUCH quiter