Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Another successful MD MREV2+Spacer install

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 06:28 PM
CoAsTeR

Thumbs up Another successful MD MREV2+Spacer install

I just wanted to thank Tony for answering all my questions prior to me installing the package. The total install time was about 1.5-2 hrs. Install was fairly simple and the instructions were very detailed.

After installing the MREV2 and spacer, I took the car out for a spin. I noticed immediately that the car had more torque. Before the install, the car felt a little sluggish from 2000 to about 3500. Now the car moves a lot better. I haven't had a chance to rev the car up past 4500 due to rain, but I am definitely enjoying the new low end torque. I recommend this mod to all the revup guys if you haven't yet done so.

I did not get a chance to dyno the car, but I think I will dyno it after a few more mods. I have a popcharger on the way. With these mods(MREV2/Spacer/Popcharger) , what would the typical dyno figures be? I have a 2006 revup btw. Thanks everyone, and thanks Motordyne.
Old 04-22-2007 | 08:37 AM
JAB_06-350Z

Let me add my to that too. The install was easy with the supplied directions, the hardware all separately packaged and labeled, and the result is awesome. What else can you ask for. Thanks TONY!
Old 04-22-2007 | 09:06 AM
RBlover69

chances are you will prob dyno higher without a popcharger on a revup. The stock air box is actually the best performer on the 06s. With a drop in.
Old 04-22-2007 | 09:55 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by RBlover69
chances are you will prob dyno higher without a popcharger on a revup. The stock air box is actually the best performer on the 06s. With a drop in.

What's a 'drop in'?
Old 04-22-2007 | 10:01 AM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
What's a 'drop in'?
K&N Filter.
Old 04-22-2007 | 10:16 AM
RBlover69

i wanna see a dyno jets number either std or sae with the mrev and spacer . If my oil issue gets solved i would like to see a everydays joes dyno. Also did u get the iso thermal etc.
Old 04-22-2007 | 10:17 AM
ZPHILE

^^^^ Thanks!
Old 04-22-2007 | 07:28 PM
CoAsTeR

I did get the iso thermal kit. I decided to not install the coolant bypass, but i may later. Hopefully, I have dyno's soon.

Originally Posted by RBlover69
i wanna see a dyno jets number either std or sae with the mrev and spacer . If my oil issue gets solved i would like to see a everydays joes dyno. Also did u get the iso thermal etc.
Old 04-26-2007 | 12:24 PM
Kimosabe

Im seriously considering purchasing the mrev for my 04 base Z.

I want to also get the unorthodox pulleys.

Want kind of power to the wheels am i looking at with the both combined without the spacer?

Just want to know because it could be my next big purchase and i want to make sure its worth it. I already have the popcharger..

any insight?
Old 04-26-2007 | 01:11 PM
CoAsTeR

From what I read, the spacer provides better gains for non-revups versus the mrev2. That's not the to say the MREV2 is not worth it, but when compared to the spacer, it doesn't provide the same "bang for the buck". I believe Tony stated that the MREV2 provides more area under the curve. It just costs a bit more. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Kimosabe
Im seriously considering purchasing the mrev for my 04 base Z.

I want to also get the unorthodox pulleys.

Want kind of power to the wheels am i looking at with the both combined without the spacer?

Just want to know because it could be my next big purchase and i want to make sure its worth it. I already have the popcharger..

any insight?
Old 04-26-2007 | 01:52 PM
Kimosabe

Originally Posted by CoAsTeR
From what I read, the spacer provides better gains for non-revups versus the mrev2. That's not the to say the MREV2 is not worth it, but when compared to the spacer, it doesn't provide the same "bang for the buck". I believe Tony stated that the MREV2 provides more area under the curve. It just costs a bit more. Hope that helps.
so the iso spacer makes more gains than the mrev on the non rev up motors?
Old 04-26-2007 | 01:58 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the props! Its feedback like this that makes me want to develope more gains in new or different ways (and i am working on it).

And +1 to Coaster. On a "non-revup" engine:
Spacer = bigger bang for the buck
MREV2 = bigger average bang

On a REVUP engine
Spacer + MREV2 = The biggest bang of all (short of Nitrous or Turbo).

Hope I don't confuse anyone with that.

Tony
Old 04-26-2007 | 02:33 PM
davidf

Tony, I'm non revup,{03} I'm getting the spacer very soon. What additional gains can I expect if I include the MREV? If miminal I'll bail on the $450 MREV. I know this has been discussed 1000 times but want to here it from you. BTW my only mods are 06 airbox/K&N, Amuse exh. Thanks very much.
Old 04-27-2007 | 10:50 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

There will be 2-6 HP additional HP at various parts of the curve assuming your A/F is at or below 13.
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:21 AM
zimmie18

ok so a few quick questions since you guys seem to know your s**t and im fairly new to modding. i have the revup engine and im currently modded with pro-1 test pipes, magnaflow catback exhaust and a popcharger. ive been looking at the mrev2 and spacer combo for sometime now. question 1) would it be worth it to get both, if so which spacer is the smartest choice? how much gain do you think id see? also am i getting into the area where a reflash might be a smart idea or would i be fine with those mods for a little while longer? last question does the mrev void your warranty?
Old 05-14-2007 | 09:01 AM
gothchick

^^^ Read post #12.
1) 5/16 Spacer if you wanna keep the stock strut bar.
2) Yes - Reflash (TS or UPREV) or UTEC + tune.
3) No - MD will not void your warranty.

Last edited by gothchick; 05-14-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:39 AM
jeff91ta

This past Saturday I finally installed the MREV2 & 5/16 spacer, I also threw in a K&N drop-in.

K&N drop-in was easy ..... enough said.

I will say that the MREV2 & 5/16th install was also relatively easy albeit much longer... a little over 4 hours; but I tend to work slow and make sure everything is correct the first time around.

Disassembly: Almost very easy even though this was my first time attempting it. The one area where I struggled was removing the coolant hose near the inlet of the upper plenum. It was awkward to reach in there and I was having trouble when trying to lift the plenum far enough to reach underneath to remove the coolant hose. WARNING: I was tempted to remove the coolant hose at it's lower connection point, but I feared coolant might come out..... well I built a nest of paper towel around the lower connection point and removed the hose! As I feared coolant started pouring out so I quickly put the hose back on and cleaned up the drops of coolant that missed the paper towel. I ended up using a little more patience and removed the coolant hose at it's upper connection.

Assembly: Again this was very straight forward and simple for the most part but there were times when I thought I knew what to do but wasn't sure:
-- Upper Plenum Spacer Caps: I put in the bolts and then attached the caps which was easy. Setting the upper plenum correctly on the lower plenum and spacer was simple because it seemed to fall into place. Then I read that the upper plenum bolts needed loctite... so I hand tightened the perimeter bolts of the upper plenum and preceded to pull out each of the 6 inner bolts of the plenum and reinstall them with loctite added. My one concern at this point was that the spacer caps would move if I removed the bolts but when I actually think about it I'm 99% positive that this isn't possible.

-- Hoses: I personally had some minor issues of getting the rear hose underneath the plenum and the coolant hose reconnected.

-- Loctite: Almost ran out of the supplied Loctite.

Strut Bar: Not a problem until I couldn't get the last bolt in. After some wiggling I got the 8th bolt in half way and then forced it a little; at this point I believe I F'd up 2 or 3 threads (cross-threaded) and have been trying to get my hands on the correct tap so I can clean out the thread. I will say that the bolt was fine and that it was my strut bar alignment that was the cause of the issue. Since then I loosened the bolts on the strut bar and realigned and readjusted it so the bolts line up perfectly.

Results: After doing the ECU reset I took the car out and could definitely feel and hear a difference.... Throughout the middle of the RPM band it just feels as if the engine snaps to attention very quickly and provides more power when you hit the gas. <-- Enjoyable... Also it sounds a little more agressive with a slight initial high pitch hisssss sound when getting on the gas after shifting.

All in all this mod was definitely worth the effort. Provided me with the obvious performance gains, but also provided me with more knowledge on these type of DIY mods.

Question for Tony:
1. Once you put the upper plenum spacer caps on with the bolts acting as guides, will there be a problem with the caps moving after you position and fit the plenum on correctly and then pull the bolts out to add loctite?

2. What size tap do I need for a strut bar bolt..... It seems it would be either 8mm, 9mm or 10mm X 1.25?

3. I have adjusted 1/4 inch of space between the plenum and the bottom of the strut bar; is this generally enought clearance with the 5/16 spacer?

4. Should I be hearing this slight high pitch whistle or hiss when I initially get on the gas? It is never a constant hiss.... only a fraction of a second. My guess is that it might be caused by increased airflow???

Thank you Motordyne for a great product and instructions!

(sorry for rambling)

Last edited by jeff91ta; 05-15-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:49 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jeff91ta
Question for Tony:
1. Once you put the upper plenum spacer caps on with the bolts acting as guides, will there be a problem with the caps moving after you position and fit the plenum on correctly and then pull the bolts out to add loctite?

2. What size tap do I need for a strut bar bolt..... It seems it would be either 8mm, 9mm or 10mm X 1.25?

3. I have adjusted 1/4 inch of space between the plenum and the bottom of the strut bar; is this generally enought clearance with the 5/16 spacer?

Thank you Motordyne for a great product and instructions!

(sorry for rambling)
1) No. Once the upper plenum post is nested into the cup of the internal support, the internal support cannor move unless the entire upper plenum is removed.

2) 10mm X 1.25 TP

3) Yes. If you ever need more its easy to dial in another 1/8".
Old 05-15-2007 | 11:39 AM
jeff91ta

Thanks for the help on the questions!
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:27 PM
Mazinger Z

Hey Tony,

Any new products in developement for the rev-up guys? Or just working on the HR's now hahah~

-J

Quick Reply: Another successful MD MREV2+Spacer install