Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

HKS sounds "Ricey" to me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Mansmind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
I love the way the tips look on the HKS, but I personally went with the Fujitsubu Ti for it's toned down sound.
lol.. isn't it weird how opinions work? The only thing I don't like about the HKS so far...is the tips. I'd rather just have simple stainless rolled at the edge (much like stock but bigger). In fact I'm looking at getting some fabricated.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Mansmind
lol.. isn't it weird how opinions work? The only thing I don't like about the HKS so far...is the tips. I'd rather just have simple stainless rolled at the edge (much like stock but bigger). In fact I'm looking at getting some fabricated.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
gimpster621

Originally Posted by Riley07
Hmmm...How much HP did just the exhaust add??? I still haven't seen real evidence that just the cat-back adds any significant gains for the price...Point me to a dyno sheet and I will gladly eat my words
i didnt get a before and after with just the hks but heres my set up. this is with my pop charger, plenum spacer, hfc and hks. i dont have a baseline but its usually about 235ish. the pop charger probably gives like 2-3 and the spacer about 9-10. so about 11-12 hps from that and 18 ish from my HFC and HKS exhaust.

265/244

its not just the dyno but the "butt dyno" too, ive had hks and nismo and now i have stillen (not as flashy as those two) and the hks top end is way better than the nismo.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
BaTMan_4

Originally Posted by gimpster621
i didnt get a before and after with just the hks but heres my set up. this is with my pop charger, plenum spacer, hfc and hks. i dont have a baseline but its usually about 235ish. the pop charger probably gives like 2-3 and the spacer about 9-10. so about 11-12 hps from that and 18 ish from my HFC and HKS exhaust.

265/244

its not just the dyno but the "butt dyno" too, ive had hks and nismo and now i have stillen (not as flashy as those two) and the hks top end is way better than the nismo.
Nice numbers.....and of course the HKS' top end is going to be WAY better than the Nismo...the HKS is a true dual.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Mr_Desmo

if you whant the Hks you have to like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4cCJp6Mhc
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
FairladyZ06

HKS is a great exhaust for people that love tracking their cars and need performance. The aesthetics arent bad either, but its definitely a loud exhaust. I felt the same way when I first heard it, it does sound mean, but I personally think the sound from Fujitsubo, or Nismo is perfect. I had loud cars in the past, I just cant do it anymore. The droning on the highway, the loud acceleration, cant take it. I love HKS quality, I wish they made another exhaust that looks great but sounds more like Fujitsubo so its bearable.

Last edited by FairladyZ06; 05-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
ssnake86

Is there an exhaust that has just as good of gains as the HKS, while retaining the same stock exhuast note but just louder? I really love the way the HKS looks too...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:06 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssnake86
Is there an exhaust that has just as good of gains as the HKS, while retaining the same stock exhuast note but just louder? I really love the way the HKS looks too...
Hmm.. no
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM
ldawg32

Originally Posted by Diesel350

Opinions are like asssholes, everyone's got one.

you need to finish it. opinions or excuses are like assssholes eveyones got one and they all stink lol
Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Velocity350Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ldawg32
you need to finish it. opinions or excuses are like assssholes eveyones got one and they all stink lol
That is the most stupidest quote. If it weren't for opinions from people who experienced it, then the rest of the unexperienced folks have to learn it the hard way. And oh, thats my OPINION.

BTW What if its a good opinion, does it still stink? And no one is talking about excuses.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
gimpster621

YES Stillen true dual. i have that rite now. its a dual muffler but from the back looks like a single can. sounds like a softer nismo and top end pulls. im going to a dyno day end of this month, i'll see if i do better than 265 rwhp. kind of a mute point because i might go turbo before then but if i still have this set up i'll dyno it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

265/244

At the risk of stepping back into this pile of poo, I think that your hfc do more for you than the HKS. I'm AT w/o hfc and I've pulled 254.7/241.4 on a dynojet with Nismo exhaust. Your hp reads higher (as it should with an MT, but our torque is almost the same. So to say that HKS top end is going to be WAY better than Nismo, I say nay.

I did like the sound of the HKS in the videos. Sounds awesome, and because it's "true dual" you may see better hp, but not WAY better. (hfc ftw! Cali emission laws blow chunks!)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:31 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
This is where our tastes differ. I think that sounds great.
u know...im gonna have to disagree with u this time, im not really into that tone too much. but i see so many different vids of the HKS which sounds awsome (like the one i posted before) and it sounds wayyy different than the one we just watched with thathuge wing.

idk though dude, im planning on getting one of these but i keep getting confused on these different sound exhaust clips. i mean, it doesnt sound THAT bad in this vid, but it does sound a bit ricey.

but the majority of vids ive seen have been sounding good.

*this guy on this forum with a yellow Z has a really nice setup with his HKS, sounds mean as ****. i dont know his user name though, i think he has a yellow z as his avatar too.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
Top Speed is sick but i dont like the way it looks.
Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X49F5XHNg3k
because its made like ****. cheap as hell
Old 05-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by joe645733
u know...im gonna have to disagree with u this time, im not really into that tone too much. but i see so many different vids of the HKS which sounds awsome (like the one i posted before) and it sounds wayyy different than the one we just watched with thathuge wing.

idk though dude, im planning on getting one of these but i keep getting confused on these different sound exhaust clips. i mean, it doesnt sound THAT bad in this vid, but it does sound a bit ricey.

but the majority of vids ive seen have been sounding good.

*this guy on this forum with a yellow Z has a really nice setup with his HKS, sounds mean as ****. i dont know his user name though, i think he has a yellow z as his avatar too.
there's a HKS comparison between a 07 HR and a 06 Rev-up that sounds good also. Of course I don't have to search for clips anymore since I got it

I've seen the yellow one.. I think he's running test pipes if I'm not mistaken
Old 05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
ssnake86

YES Stillen true dual. i have that rite now. its a dual muffler but from the back looks like a single can. sounds like a softer nismo and top end pulls. im going to a dyno day end of this month, i'll see if i do better than 265 rwhp. kind of a mute point because i might go turbo before then but if i still have this set up i'll dyno it.

how much bigger are the tips then the stock exhaust? I heard it looks stock. Which is ok if it sounds deep and throaty like the stock exhaust but louder, with really nice gains like the HKS.

to the above poster I think this is the clip your talking about. HKS on the 07 vs the rev up. The HKS does sound pretty sweet on the 07 in this clip. Still kinda high pitched and not like stock at all though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzF6V2JumY
Old 05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Phantom Menace

Personally, I appreciate the OPs comments--albiet misinformed on the HP gains. I am always on the lookout for a nice "throaty" sounding exhaust that is quite during constant acceleration. I've had my eye on the HKS as I--almost ashamed to admit it but--like the way it looks. And I've read of promising n/a gains. However, I do not want to compromise sound quality and comfort for top-end performance as my car is not a "track-only" car. The sucky thing about exhausts is, to find the balance of "sound" and performance, one would either have to be really lucky, have a lot of trust in others' opinions, or spend LOTS of money testing multiple systems.

Me, I don't have a lot of money, patience, nor trust so I'll just be looking to hear these systems out in the street until I find one I like. I hear Stillen is really nice...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by Mansmind
there's a HKS comparison between a 07 HR and a 06 Rev-up that sounds good also. Of course I don't have to search for clips anymore since I got it

I've seen the yellow one.. I think he's running test pipes if I'm not mistaken
ya, he also has headers and ****. that i remember. but im buying the hks with the fast intensions resonated tp's, and the plenum spacer
Old 05-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Mansmind

how much bigger are the tips then the stock exhaust? I heard it looks stock. Which is ok if it sounds deep and throaty like the stock exhaust but louder, with really nice gains like the HKS.

to the above poster I think this is the clip your talking about. HKS on the 07 vs the rev up. The HKS does sound pretty sweet on the 07 in this clip. Still kinda high pitched and not like stock at all though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzF6V2JumY
that's the one.. although it still doesn't do it justice IMO
Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Velocity350Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joe645733
because its made like ****. cheap as hell
This was a reply to top speed that its made like ****. Its about $500 which is almost the same as the HKS Knock off. Can you or anyone else elaborate on why it is made like sh|t ? I talked to a lot of people and they love the top speed. I do want to hear both sides before buying an exhaust.

Quick Reply: HKS sounds "Ricey" to me...