Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Whats up with K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
lawman0210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Whats up with K&N?

I just installed the K&N Short Ram CAI FIPK 57-6013. on my 2004 touring with automatic. I have only drove it about 150 miles since the install. I have noticed that i can not spin my wheels at all even with traction control off. It doesn't seem to give that acceleration feel, is this normal until I break it in? I lifted the hood and found the air filter to be extremely hot. Is this what is called Heat Soaked?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 AM
md350

Honestly you'll feel little to no difference with just a CAI. Sometimes even a drop from what I've heard.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:03 PM
rblimas

Originally Posted by md350
Honestly you'll feel little to no difference with just a CAI. Sometimes even a drop from what I've heard.
that must only be for the 350z, on the cts you feel it good! IDK it must be because my car dont have that much power in the first pace
Old 05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
lawman0210

I guess I will be returning the K&N and buying a JWT Pop Charger
Old 05-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Fluid1

That would be a decent idea. However, don't expect giant gains from just an intake. They don't help our cars that much. You want to go faster in your auto, swap out the pumpkin with someone that has a 3.5
Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
md350

The stock intake box is very good, that's the main "problem." Its hard to improve to a point where you'll notice - if at all.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:50 PM
joe645733

K&N sucks. the guy at ultimateZ told me i'd lose power if i bought it. he told me injen CAI. so i got that. get it
Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
lawman0210

So Injen vs JWT? Injen is better? What is the cost difference? What is a pumkin vs 3.5? Forgive me my dad told me 25 years ago don't take auto mechanics there is no money in that. So I can work on planes and ships bbut have not a clue when it comes to cars
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Wraith

The bottom line K&N or JWT or any other intake is not gonna give you that kind of power. Cool sound yes but power not so much. I have the K&N short ram intake too and it was barely noticable. but ask anyone with an after market intake you will be just as good with a K&N drop in filter. But for sound Jwt or K&N short ram is pretty cool. IMO
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus spinning the tires has nothing at all to do with what type of intake you got. and the only difference can be see n with F/I anyway. key word in spinning the tires is, yes the tires themselves may be the problem. better grip means no slip = no spinning the tires.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
lawman0210

I understand that. I only say that due to being able to spin my wheels (traction control off) before replacing the stock airbox. I seemed to have better performance with the drop in K&N Air filter. I guess its true sometimes more money doesn't mean better. I would like to try the JWT but if I can't find it locally. That means I won't be able to return it if I don't like it. Can anyone tell me why the wheels wont spin with the new short ram? Did it drop my torgue but maybe helps in the mid range?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Wraith

dont worry about it. youll see the same results dont waste your money.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:36 AM
lawman0210

So if I want cool sound keep the K&N kit and if I want a few xtra Hp go back to the drop in K&N Aiir filter? I would rather have a few xtra horepower and no cool sound then vice versa. BTW K&N said to drive it another 200 miles to have the computer adjust I already have 200 mile on it. Is that just a bunch of bull?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Your intake isn't going to give you gains that make you smile. Were talking 3-5 hp max at the wheels. That is a little more "pull" in between RPMs, nothing catastrophic.

I have Injen CAIntake. I convert from short ram to cold air twice a year to help prep for the rainy season. I have to say, when i convert my intake back to cold air from the ram air, the horsepower does increase some. I think when the injen is on short ram in a hot climate it causes your Z to suffer from heat soak. I haven't gone the lengths to prove it, but that is my personal opinion. +1 on injen, its a good intake.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 AM
SpeedRcr

Originally Posted by lawman0210
I understand that. I only say that due to being able to spin my wheels (traction control off) before replacing the stock airbox. I seemed to have better performance with the drop in K&N Air filter. I guess its true sometimes more money doesn't mean better. I would like to try the JWT but if I can't find it locally. That means I won't be able to return it if I don't like it. Can anyone tell me why the wheels wont spin with the new short ram? Did it drop my torgue but maybe helps in the mid range?
You realize the stock airbox is very efficient, just put a panel k&n filter in there and call it a day...cai makes the car draw the air further before it gets to the throttle body intakes like jwt have heat soak due to poor shielding
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM
lawman0210

I hear that alot what is heat soak?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Z04

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
You realize the stock airbox is very efficient, just put a panel k&n filter in there and call it a day...cai makes the car draw the air further before it gets to the throttle body intakes like jwt have heat soak due to poor shielding
I hear that alot what is heat soak?
hmm, here is true "heat soak" explained. it has nothing to do with the intake at all, but the fuel lines and the amount of heat retained in the engine after shutting it off. Hot starting problems are usually fuel related. When a hot engine is shut off, the temperature of the engine and everything on it continues to rise for awhile as the engine undergoes a period of "heat soak." This is much less of a problem on fuel injected engines because the fuel is usually under much higher pressure inside the injectors and fuel line. Even so, a fuel line routed near an exhaust manifold or a fuel rail that’s exposed to a lot of heat may still suffer the same kind of problems. so basically is is hard to have a true "heat soak" when the car is moving, since the cooling fans and antifreeze is working to keep the car engine cool anyway. so to prevent a "heat soak" on a intake after you shut the engine down, use the stock tube with a JWT. the air going in can be warm or cold, but still will not produce a true "heat soak" when the car is moving so the comment above is wrong.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
lawman0210

I think I will reinstall my stock airbox with the drop in K&N filter and see if I enough torque to spin my wheels like before. If I can then I must have some power loss from 0 to ? with the K&N FIPK filter kit
Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Zmazing03

I was thinking of going CAI, but then I just decided to go with a K&N dropin. The intake system on the stock Z is pretty damn good, it is hard to improve on that. The drop in filter just allows a bit more air to flow through.

I was thinking about getting JWT for the sound, but I am not driving WOT often, and I have heard of a few problems with Z's running JWT. Hence why I went with K&N drop in -- $50 instead of $100 for Popcharger, or $300 for a full intake.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 PM
World Famous Z

I just installed the K&N Short Ram CAI FIPK 57-6013. on my 2004 touring with automatic. I have only drove it about 150 miles since the install. I have noticed that i can not spin my wheels at all even with traction control off. It doesn't seem to give that acceleration feel, is this normal until I break it in? I lifted the hood and found the air filter to be extremely hot. Is this what is called Heat Soaked?
K and N is usually good stuff, but then again, the K an N intake on my old EVO wasn't great either.

if youre disapointed, call me i'll set you up with a Stillen one, the only cold air for the Z i have found to ACTUALLY work