Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn... Jonny just spooked me.

Are there workable legal alternatives?
I really want the Admin to know.

I can whip up a quick Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)? That should make it legally Kosher right?

Take it to PM.

EDIT: I not even Jewish and I want it Kosher!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Sure--but its' obviously not that easy to do just by looking at Tony's finished product, now is it? There is obviosly some kind of "trade secret" that Tony has for his process--once that's revealed or pointed out by him to others--he loses his rights to enforce that trade secret. Why make it easier to those that wish to copy Tony's work? (not necessarily to "improve" upon it, but just to make a higher profit--that is not in terms with promoting the progress of science and the arts, but rather enters in the area of unfair competition and actually hinders progress because is lessens the incentives for makers to produce in the first place)
Tony himself mentioned that if anyone with expertise wanted to copy his Mrev2 they could easily just buy one and see how it's done. Heck, if someone asked me for pix of my Mrev2 and they were cool enough I'd probably provide it for them.

Edit: nvm I just saw your post.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Tony himself mentioned that if anyone with expertise wanted to copy his Mrev2 they could easily just buy one and see how it's done. Heck, if someone asked me for pix of my Mrev2 and they were cool enough I'd probably provide it for them.
There's a huge difference in terms of legal significance in you, as a buyer of Tony's product, and Tony, the right holder, in publicizing areas of the product that might reveal trade secrets, at least in terms of trade secret and unfair competition law, which is much different than patents/copyrights/trademarks.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by dave079
It no problem at all. You have your opinion on it, and I dont fault you for looking out for someones best interest.

His pics will give us some insight to see whether Rebel will be around here much longer as a sponsor.
Understood, hopefully something is worked out that is best for all parties involved.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a bigger fiasco then britney and kfed. May the truth set you free LMAO.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
this is a bigger fiasco then britney and kfed.
"Leave Tony alone!"
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Its cool. I really appreciate what Jonny is saying. Technically, he's right. You never know where situations like this will end up. Its erring on the side of caution.

Its all being worked out smoothly anyways. NDA's are in transit.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by gothchick
Alrighty then... Scare tactics... If we're going to be that paranoid, then for gawd's sake don't actually sell any real MREV2's, cause someone might reverse engineer it. Douche.
I never said it was likely, but since you like to incite things with me on this board, let me respond to your comment.

Obviously, the point is to sell the product, I wasn't trying to scare Tony, perhaps I should have wholly communicated with Tony via pm, to avoid comments like this from people like you.

Take away that random scenario. It doesn't take away from the other advice I have given (ftr not on a "professional basis"). An owner of property rights (including IP rights) should take steps in helping to enforce those rights if they are in jeopardy.

What is better advice you think: To tell him--yea go ahed and post very detail orientated pictures of the actual work you do, that might reveal a trade secret and therefore foregoe your right to enforce that trade secret? You've got to be kidding me.

and is is really all that off based with multiple posts from the op of this to Tony:

Originally Posted by RebelinRI
OK

Ok.................... tell me where you take your Zero when you machine the tops off the runners? Secondly, how do you compensate for the terrible rough castings from Nissan with regards to the machining of them. I can assure you no two are the same. You do remove the flash from the front of the runner entrance area correct? How is this achieved. The two side cuts or it looks like grinds, hopefully not hand held grinder. How far in? How deep do you go? What about the runner section. Are these the same in my MERV2 as City's or anyone else's? If all of these things can not be held to close tolerances how can you say that they will give everyone the results you state. Maybe someone gets a crappy casting (no fault of yours). What about where she meets up with the upper or the runners going down to the heads. Maybe I was just that lucky to get the ***** and you guys got the gold. My luck. Hey I know............. lets get rid of the other factors and bench test the plenums. That will tell how each one is, shouldn't it? So many questions................

Your turn

But thanks for selective reading my posts so you can find something to jab at me for, continue to incite and watch what follows... Do you not remember what Wired said? I'm not going to respond anymore to your sarcastic posts that seem to jab at my credibility and character--its only adding fuel to the fire--All I'll do is report your post...and I'm not trying to scare you; just being upfront and honest.

Edit: Tony, this was posted without me seeing your post. Sorry if my post got things off topic; best of luck to you and your business. Glad things are being worked out in a way that everyone finds acceptable.

Oh and gt "thanks" for later editing your post to call me a douche, real mature and original--An uninstigated post to harrass/promote a fight with me, after you have already been warned by a moderator to not do so. Your post has been reported.

Last edited by jonnylaw; 12-21-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by istan
"Leave Tony alone!"
lmao
Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 AM
OCG35
Banned

Oh MY GAWD!!!! This has gone so far blown open it's incredible.... Motordynes success was uncommonly huge (even bigger than Tony expected) and now a thread that rivals the VRT drama thread... wow oh wow... records are being set!

I just hope this concludes soon… it’s a lot to keep up with and if I miss a day of the drama if feel like I wasted my time doing whatever prevented me from following this
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Vader007

Gotta believe Tony on this one as RI obviously has something to hide although
I feel this is all Tony's fault for not providing some sort of authenticity with his product, this is why I never purchased one. I mean how difficult or costly could it have been to stamp or engrave a number or symbol into the manifold and have a certificate printed to accompany each one for future resellers and those who choose to buy from anyone else who sells Tony's products.
I hope going forward he learns from this bad business decision and does something as mentioned above to prevent further issues.
Just my two cents!..........Great product, always wanted one, saw this coming!
Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

The details within the modification themselves are unique identifiers. It worked here.

But yes, you are right. I need to give it a more obvious and clear identifier.

Not just one I will recognize, but one that anyone else can too.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-22-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The details within the modification themselves are unique identifiers. It worked here.

But yes, you are right. I need to give it a more obvious and clear identifier.

Not just one I will recognize, but one that anyone else can too.
it's too bad this scenario has lead to an added cost component that ultimately will be passed to the consumer... maybe all future MREV2 purchasers should sue RI for the added cost to cover identifier markings

I hope this all smoothes out for you Tony – and you don’t incur too much cost or time with identifiers… but with apparent upcoming/existing potential competition of similar mod it looks like a good idea.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by gothchick
Alrighty then... Scare tactics... If we're going to be that paranoid, then for gawd's sake don't actually sell any real MREV2's, cause someone might reverse engineer it. Douche.
Wow... someone has a grudge. That didn’t seem necessary... John’s a good guy with good input. I've never seen an area that he inflicted scare tactics...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Vader007

Originally Posted by OCG35
it's too bad this scenario has lead to an added cost component that ultimately will be passed to the consumer... maybe all future MREV2 purchasers should sue RI for the added cost to cover identifier markings

I hope this all smoothes out for you Tony – and you don’t incur too much cost or time with identifiers… but with apparent upcoming/existing potential competition of similar mod it looks like a good idea.

Cost? Yeah about an extra $3.00 per manifold at best to stamp or engrave and create a certificate with matching, please you sound like he has to retool a factory or something! Any tool and die man or machininst has a numbered punch set and or an engraver. He design his own cert with any software program or go to Kinko's and have them massed produced for a fee.
A small price to pay for piece of mind on our end, sure tony can identify his
own product but is he everytime someone purchases a used one or buys one from another vendor?
Dont get me wrong Tony is a GREAT GUY with a great product, this was just an overlook on his part. I saw this coming because I myself had passed over several used ones for sale after seeing people trying to create thier own.
I said to myself there is no way to know for sure, anyone could hack one of these up and pass it off as the real deal and not get caught, and here is the stickler, without a definative identification mark, this would be hard pressed to prove in court. I'm not a lawyer and I would have a field day with this in court.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Price isn't changing on MREV2.
The new markings/identification will just be another process to implement and keep track of. Such is the way of life.

But yes, all this had me thinking long and hard this morning. When I come out with the new exhaust system, copy protection mechanisms will be a mandatory and much bigger task due to its configuration.

And due to RI, I already see how there will be unique and unavoidable cost drivers added to prevent any pirating like this from happening in the future.

Lemons into lemonade? New copy protection mechanisms? Possibly. We will see.

You will understand when the exhaust system is released. The system won't be like anything else on the market.

In a way, this is a good thing to have happened. I did learn a valuable lesson from it and will modify future actions for it.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Vader007

I'm sorry you had to go through this, you are one of the good guys on here!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 PM
gothchick

Originally Posted by OCG35
Wow... someone has a grudge. That didn’t seem necessary... John’s a good guy with good input. I've never seen an area that he inflicted scare tactics...
No grudge - He's just really easy to get all wound up when someone doesn't agree with him. Gets his feelings hurt too easily. Like when he got pwned in the header wrap thread by several members. Then he was whining about a moderator changing his avatar to "Know it all". Lol!

Last edited by gothchick; 12-22-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Vader007

WOW! You do get to him
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!

Quick Reply: Got a MREV2