Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Interesting flow bench test results, comparing 07 cats to 03-06, TP, and HFCs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
CFM is measuring volume of air per unit time, not velocity (distance per unit time). Velocity will be higher in a smaller pipe, no question. It's the total air mass per unit time that's important and for a given pressure and temperature, volume per unit time is a reasonable surrogate.
Well since, it is measuring volume of air over time, and in order for a smaller pipe to produce the same volume of air over the same amount of time, it would need to have higher velocity, that we already know. Maybe the piping diameter increase of the HFC, 2.75in in this case, over the 2.25in test pipe, is allowing a slow enough air velocity where the cat itself isn't being very restrictive? Maybe 2.5in test pipe is the ideal diameter for a test at 400cfm?

TK

Last edited by T_K; 02-08-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM
kvjacobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yusoslo
i would like to know how effective that custom cat is....and how is it possible to flow more than a straight non perforated pipe??

It can flow more air because of a bigger diameter.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
kvjacobz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't the different velocities of the moving air play a role in how restrictive something is or isn't. Air velocity should be lower in the 2.75in HFC than the 2.25in test pipe. Maybe the cat material is providing less restriction at this lower velocity, than the 2.25in test pipes diameter at a higher velocity. Of course I don't really know much about how a flow bench works or exactly what the CFM is measuring, so I could be way off.

TK
As RC said, its the flow rate that is important. The exhaust can only flow as much as its most restrictive member. The cats can act as a bottleneck. The velocity does slow down some inside the cat because the cross sectional area has to be increased to increase the flow rate over the same length cat. But this slow down is over a small distance compared to the entire exhaust, so the average velocity throughout the exhaust should be about the same plus the gasses will speed up after the cat when the diameter decreases again.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:06 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to dig this back up, but it just dawned on me that, if the stock 07 cat flows a little less than a high flow cat, is there some gains to be had by doing some modifications to it? For example if Cheston's 2.75in HFCs flow so well, could that same idea be applied to the stock cats, i.e increasing the diameter of the piping into and out of the stock cat?

TK