Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Comments on the Jim Wolf POP-Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003 | 05:05 PM
Powerband

Default Comments on the Jim Wolf POP-Charger

Has anyone tried the Jim Wolf Technology POP-Charger? If so, what are your quality ratings on it and does it seem like it is a good enough mod to justify the cost?
Old 06-17-2003 | 05:24 PM
MatthewZ

nissanperformancemag got 6hp at the wheels......but i dont think anybody has come close to that. JWT only claims like 2hp. Of course JWT is a sponsor of NPM.com. It is supposed to sound pretty mean,,,,,,,,even if no hp.
Old 06-17-2003 | 05:54 PM
Z'd

I know it's got a high flow conical filter, but there is something conceptually wrong with moving your air intake inside the engine compartment where it will suck in hot air. Even with the heat shield, the ambient temperature inside the engine compartment can still get very hot!!!
Old 06-17-2003 | 07:51 PM
EnthusiastZ

For $100 (Avalon Racing) it is not bad. Have no dyno numbers but throttle response is better and it does growl above 4K rpms. The filter itself is high quality and the install was simple.
Old 06-17-2003 | 07:51 PM
ZON

It sounds like theirs tripple Webbers in there when your all out on the throttle. So theirs no real appreciable gains, so what. If their is an intake out there that gives more than 5 whp let me know about it, I want to know about it. I just love the way this JWT thing sounds right now.

Last edited by ZON; 06-17-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2003 | 08:12 PM
Scanman

Should of got one of those. My Injen dosn't make any apprreciable sound, and makes my car idle like crap to boot.
Old 06-17-2003 | 10:06 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

JWT's pop charger has by far one of the best velocity stacked air filters on the market... a simple yet effective inverted funnel significantly increases the velocity of the air going into the intake tube to the throttle body.. its a pitty the engine runs so hot normally. but with adequate ventillation, or a relocation of the filter INSIDE the stock air box, you have a winner...
Old 06-18-2003 | 08:08 AM
OC_350Z

Originally posted by Chebosto
JWT's pop charger has by far one of the best velocity stacked air filters on the market... a simple yet effective inverted funnel significantly increases the velocity of the air going into the intake tube to the throttle body.. its a pitty the engine runs so hot normally. but with adequate ventillation, or a relocation of the filter INSIDE the stock air box, you have a winner...

Yeah what he said,

There was a guy at the Stillen meet that use to have one. He liked it, but as soon as he got into traffice it would just suck hot air and kill the power. I personaly like these styles of intakes over the ones that are a mile long and bend down below (AEM). I just think you have to have an effective heat shield. I like Chebosto's thought on useing the stock air box some how. I think that would be the best way to go
Old 06-18-2003 | 10:36 PM
ZON

Ya' I was thinking of making a custom one sometime. I should go find some materials and just do it. I think the same kind of sheetmetal the heat shield is made out of would work OK, but maybe that would retain too much heat. Some flexible plastic sheet could work and would be easy to work with. That could be fed off of the JWT heat shield with rivets and then sort of contain the rest of the filter from there. I think I'll work on that problem after my Borla install, maybe.
Old 06-19-2003 | 07:45 AM
all_bark

I hooked mine to the end of the injen and it sits down in the middle of the grill.

So now I've got the JWT filter know-how along with the Injen cold air intake. I also have both the injen and jwt heat shields on trying to keep the heat off the tubing!

So far I love it but no dynos till chebosto's ecu goes in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
finished install.jpg (10.0 KB, 230 views)
Old 06-19-2003 | 07:46 AM
all_bark

I hooked mine to the end of the injen and it sits down in the middle of the grill.

So now I've got the JWT filter know-how along with the Injen cold air intake. I also have both the injen and jwt heat shields on trying to keep the heat off the tubing!

So far I love it but no dynos till chebosto's ecu goes in!

Heres a pic of it down in the middle of the grill.
Attached Thumbnails Comments on the Jim Wolf POP-Charger-finished-install.jpg  
Old 07-18-2003 | 10:15 AM
onecoolee

I thought that the air filter is not supposed to get wet ? Or, maybe you just don't drive in the rain ? Also, aren't you causing some airflow issues for the radiator, considering you are blocking about 30-40% of flow to the radiator. I would think that your fans probably turn on in less time than normal, and your engine gets hotter quicker due to heating issues within the engine coolant. I am no gearhead, but its simple physics. So, do you have any heat issues with this configuration ?

Personally, I still think the stock box modified to fit the JWT filter is the best idea. As of now I run the JWT and heat shield only, and it sounds nice, and runs fine. I have about 4000 miles on it, and I htink its every bit as good as the factory box, or better. It does sound slightly meaner...and that is the only reason I have kept it on. Some people had issues with stalling, and performance dropping, but I can't say that I have seen anything like that...

Last edited by onecoolee; 07-18-2003 at 10:28 AM.