Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Anyone dyno w/ gutted stock cats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone dyno w/ gutted stock cats?

Has anyone done a before and after dyno w/ the stock cats and gutted stock cats?

Does the large chamber where the cat material used to be hurt flow or velocity at all and cause a loss in power or torque anywhere in the RPM band?

VQ35HR experiences are preferred, but any information is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCMO_HR_G
Has anyone done a before and after dyno w/ the stock cats and gutted stock cats?

Does the large chamber where the cat material used to be hurt flow or velocity at all and cause a loss in power or torque anywhere in the RPM band?

VQ35HR experiences are preferred, but any information is appreciated.
gutting oem cat's are stupid when you can get tp's at a very reasonable price.

HR cat's have also been shown to flow better than previous years. I'd think twice before hacking into your expensive oem cats (that might come in handy if you have to pass smog).
Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
gutting oem cat's are stupid when you can get tp's at a very reasonable price.
Yeah no ****. The cheap mod crowd is becoming larger by the day. I wonder if this guy has PVC pipe anywhere under his hood? haha.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
KCMO_HR_G

I've got a spare set sitting around, so going back to stock is no problem. It's also not a matter of price. If I were going to buy an 'aftermarket' part I'd just get a set of HFC's.

I want the car to look as stock as possible for when I have it serviced at the dealer.

There is also no smog or any kind of inspection in my state.

Test pipes have showed gains of 10+whp on the HR motor, so I know there is power to be had. I just was curious if the bulbous shape of the catalytic converter pipe would result in lower gains (or no gains) when compared to a 2.5" straight pipe.

Thanks for the replies though.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:52 PM
c3 rolling

it should work well, if anything a gutted cat probly will never crack unlike the aftermarket shlt. Only thing is that a testpipe would have a smoother exhaust flow, try it out man. A friend of mine gutted his on a 06 Z and his car is freaking loud, so it must be flowing haha
Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just get test pipes, they'll probably flow better than a gutted cat.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Get_Zwole

look up how much a OEM cat cost that might make you think twice if you ever have to make the car stock again. Waste of an expensive part if you ask me testpipes were made for a reason.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
GrayG35

do it if you want. its your car. i did mine and noticed a nice gain on my vq35de
Old 02-02-2008, 10:53 PM
KONVERTER

gutting cats on this car would be an utter waste of time...

have you seen the cats on this car?

you might as well buy some used test pipes off someone for $50 rather than waste hours of time destroying $3200 worth of cats...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
just get test pipes, they'll probably flow better than a gutted cat.
I don't want the missing cats to be obvious.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
look up how much a OEM cat cost that might make you think twice if you ever have to make the car stock again. Waste of an expensive part if you ask me testpipes were made for a reason.
as stated above, these are extras I have laying around. My car is still stock and the stock cats that I remove will be saved while the modified gutted ones are installed.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by KONVERTER
gutting cats on this car would be an utter waste of time...

have you seen the cats on this car?

you might as well buy some used test pipes off someone for $50 rather than waste hours of time destroying $3200 worth of cats...

Why would it be a waste of time? I've seen the cats, held them in my hands, and inspected the amount of material that would need to be removed.

They also cost me under $200 used w/ low mileage.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Lets stop worrying about the cost/work/ect. Will the design of the stock cats cause velocity to slow down and lose power? Any real documented gains/losses from running gutted cats? I'd be curious to see the before/after curves.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
BeejZ

my car put down 246rwhp with gutted cat's and a pop charger. Everything else was stock. That was on a dynojet.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
itsjiggajames

Originally Posted by KCMO_HR_G
Lets stop worrying about the cost/work/ect. Will the design of the stock cats cause velocity to slow down and lose power? Any real documented gains/losses from running gutted cats? I'd be curious to see the before/after curves.
Get to it man! come on. BTW those oem cats are HUGE.. so i'm sure if you gutted them out they would do no harm. Dyno before and after, I guarantee something gained.. and besides.. you do have a extra set.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
KONVERTER

Originally Posted by BeejZ
my car put down 246rwhp with gutted cat's and a pop charger. Everything else was stock. That was on a dynojet.
thats about a car with just a cat back...

My Z did 244RWHP with just nismo cat back...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Get to it man! come on. BTW those oem cats are HUGE.. so i'm sure if you gutted them out they would do no harm. Dyno before and after, I guarantee something gained.. and besides.. you do have a extra set.
You need to understand exhaust velocity to know why gutting cats isn't a good idea, especially when the cats are located so close to the heads. The fact is most people don't understand that exhaust velocity and heat retention is the key to an optimally flowing NA exhaust. Bigger pipes may or may not help as well as mandrel or non-mandrel bends. I am 98 3/4% certain that gutting the cats will cause soft low/mid rpm performance along with a super nasty noise since the gutted cat will have such an odd shape. Power will be lost in the low to mid rpms because the exhaust velocity will be slower because the exhaust gases to enter a big chamber just after the header. This is will cause turbulence, will effect exhaust flow from the heads, and the exhaust gases will cool in the chamber. All of these things will kill throttle response and power. How bad, I don't really know, but I'd guess it would be pretty significant. There may be a slight gain above 5500rpms, but I highly doubt it will be enough to offset the losses in the low/mid range.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Yeah no ****. The cheap mod crowd is becoming larger by the day. I wonder if this guy has PVC pipe anywhere under his hood? haha.
+1.

As used Z's become older & less expensive, the younger ricer crowd grows in numbers, desecrating our precious Z. I wonder if the OP has an x02 anywhere on his Z to compliment his gutted cats? FTL.

Last edited by gothchick; 02-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by gothchick
+1.

As used Z's become older & less expensive, the younger ricer crowd grows in numbers, desecrating our precious Z. I wonder if the OP has an x02 anywhere on his Z to compliment his gutted cats? FTL.
I have an '08 G35.

Thanks for the ignorant response and not reading a single one of my comments about why i'm considering this route.

dumb flaming trolls are worse than ricers IMO.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
KCMO_HR_G

Originally Posted by Dave B
You need to understand exhaust velocity to know why gutting cats isn't a good idea, especially when the cats are located so close to the heads. The fact is most people don't understand that exhaust velocity and heat retention is the key to an optimally flowing NA exhaust. Bigger pipes may or may not help as well as mandrel or non-mandrel bends. I am 98 3/4% certain that gutting the cats will cause soft low/mid rpm performance along with a super nasty noise since the gutted cat will have such an odd shape. Power will be lost in the low to mid rpms because the exhaust velocity will be slower because the exhaust gases to enter a big chamber just after the header. This is will cause turbulence, will effect exhaust flow from the heads, and the exhaust gases will cool in the chamber. All of these things will kill throttle response and power. How bad, I don't really know, but I'd guess it would be pretty significant. There may be a slight gain above 5500rpms, but I highly doubt it will be enough to offset the losses in the low/mid range.
It just seems like the cat material and expansion into the cat filled chamber would slow down velocity more than having the large open space. At least you understand my primary concern... I should have just stayed on KCSR and debated this between the 2 of us

Quick Reply: Anyone dyno w/ gutted stock cats?