Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

AEM intake/bypass valve dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 AM
kurt213
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM intake/bypass valve dilemma

Ok....when I purchased my car it had an AEM cai on it. Not really my first choice, but it was already on there so I figured what the hell. Every time it rained though, the car would spit and sputter anytime it went over 3000-4000 rpm. So basically when it rains I have to drive like a little *****. I did research and took it to a shop who told me that it needed a bypass valve to ensure no water was getting through. Which of course makes sense....the intake it practically on the damn ground, and it only acts up in the rain. So I went out and purchased the valve and just had it installed today. Driving home though...I noticed it still sputters and acts up. So what is up? I was thinking (hoping) that maybe it was only because it already had rain/moisture in it from yesterday and this morning. So I'm going to wait and see hopefully it will dry out and I won't have this problem anymore. But if not I guess I'll have to buy a different intake? If this is true, how does anyone use an AEM intake on their cars? Or is there possibly something else to this equation? Any advice guys?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM
jmccartney

Im glad to hear you have the same issue as me! I too have the aem and noticed the exact symptoms as you. Its been raining here to long so I will have to wait and see how the car acts in the dry weather. I think it is also the paper filter aem gives you. It gets wet and stays wet for a long time! Get a KN that what im going to try.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 PM
jmccartney

subscribing
Old 05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it but the guy at the shop either lied to you or doesn't know anything himself. The Bypass valve only helps you if you go through a very deep puddle and your entire air filter is submerged. In your case when the filter simply get's wet the by-pass valve is doing nothing. Your car sputters because your MAF sensor is getting wet, sending the car into limp mode. I had the AEM intake and had the same problems your having, i just ended up taking out because it's always so wet here.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
jmccartney

is your car back to normal now?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM
blue06z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When that happens to me I let the car get to operating temp. and the shut it off for about 15-20 mins and everything is fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 AM
kurt213
Banned

Car is still doing it. It's been doing it since I bought it a few months ago. I'm just going to take out the AEM intake and put a popcharger in it. I really don't know wtf AEM was thinking when they designed this thing. They put the filter right in front of the wheel well...every time it rains the damn thing gets wet and I have to be careful driving....it's really getting old. I had an AEM on my old celica, and it worked fine. Positioning was about the same too. I guess the wheel well was sealed better and no moisture got in...or maybe the Z's just more sensitive??

PS
Anyone want to buy an AEM intake??