Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tanabe Hyper Medalion Installed, not loud enough for me, what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 PM
tianyu82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Hyper Medalion Installed, not loud enough for me, what's next?

I just got it installed 2 days ago, and i've had about 30 miles on it already. To me, it sounds a little bit louder than the stock. the Only obvious difference in sound is between 3k and 4k rpm. The exhaust tips look so big, especially on my roadster. The sound is pretty nice, but the VQ sound is kind of gone at very low rpm .

Does the exhaust actually need to break in? would it be louder after a while?

If i want to make it louder, Would adding a Y pipe make it significantly louder? and if it is, please suggest me some Y pipes that are not expensive and nice.

Thank you
Old 05-24-2008, 03:57 AM
ZForce1
You're done son

my buddy just bought a megan racing y pipe new on ebay for $130 shipped but, it's not gonna make it much louder than the stock y pipe.

I'd suggest HFC's or Res test pipes as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Add the Tanabe y-pipe to free up more air and you'll notice a power & sound increase. Want even more lose the stock cats for some 2.5" APS test pipes and she'll roar. Might have a bit of a rasp but it will be a mild race rasp. Make note that the Tanabe's are more for those just looking for a mild note and power change. Great exhaust though.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I noticed about Tanabe Hyper exhausts is that they seem to become less loud as the rpm's increase and then the engine noise takes over.

I think you should add resonated test pipes.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 AM
na_350z

I have the Tanabe Hyper with the Tanabe Y-pipe. I needed more out of it so I got the Berk Test Pipes. It opened up the exhaust up to a whole new level. It was loud!!! But then I had to deal with the rasp. It was horrible around 3-4k but I lived with it. After some prob's with the test pipes I'm going with the Berk HFC's so that will be coming in on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it sounds and maybe even post a vid. I haven't heard the Tanabe matched with Berk's HFC's so I'm excited to hear the sound. I would say get some test pipes if you want it really loud but go for the resonated test pipes.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

This was the very reason i bought one myself... below 3000 RPM u don't sound like every other VQ on the road.. But once u mash it it opens up.. And it will break in and sound a little deeper after a few 100 miles..
Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
BaTMan_4

Give it a few more miles, as stated above @ 100 and it will deepen a tad bit more. TP's is the way to go though if you really want to notice a noise change. Check youtube and see what you like and go from there. Hyper + TPs = mean as **** and loud
Old 05-30-2008, 10:42 AM
tianyu82

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
What I noticed about Tanabe Hyper exhausts is that they seem to become less loud as the rpm's increase and then the engine noise takes over.

I think you should add resonated test pipes.
exactly, after 4k, the engine noise takes over. after i spent the bucks, all i get is the little change of sound between 3-4k . i don't really care about the hp gain, to be honest. 300 is more than enough for me.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM
tianyu82

Originally Posted by na_350z
I have the Tanabe Hyper with the Tanabe Y-pipe. I needed more out of it so I got the Berk Test Pipes. It opened up the exhaust up to a whole new level. It was loud!!! But then I had to deal with the rasp. It was horrible around 3-4k but I lived with it. After some prob's with the test pipes I'm going with the Berk HFC's so that will be coming in on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it sounds and maybe even post a vid. I haven't heard the Tanabe matched with Berk's HFC's so I'm excited to hear the sound. I would say get some test pipes if you want it really loud but go for the resonated test pipes.
adding Y-pipe to my tanabe exhaust would only make it a little louder?? I want it to be louder but not too much louder though
Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
BaTMan_4

^ imo y-pipes don't make a noticeable change. maybe if it was coupled to some HFCs it would change...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
tianyu82

Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
Give it a few more miles, as stated above @ 100 and it will deepen a tad bit more. TP's is the way to go though if you really want to notice a noise change. Check youtube and see what you like and go from there. Hyper + TPs = mean as **** and loud
is it gonna be way too loud if i add a tp? how about hfc?