Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cat bypass pipes, install and impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Zaphod 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat bypass pipes, install and impressions...

I tried posting this all day but this forum has been the suck all day. Anyway, I did the install this weekend. Here's the skinny.

THE BAD - The pipes did not include any hardware needed for the install. On the header side, two of the three bolts are fused to the cat pipe, one is not. On the Y pipe side, all the bolts are fused to the cat pipe. So once the car was apart I learned that I had to find 8 nuts and bolts of at least 2" in length to replace the not removable hardware on the stock pipes. I ended up paying a worker at R&S Strauss $20 for them out of his own stash which was a score because they in fact were 14mm. So for those that are doing this soon, get the hardware first.

The fitment of the pipes was great, length was right on. However the flanges differed slightly and the holes for the bolts were large enough that they provided play so when tightening the nuts the pipes would move. You needed to pay attention to the pipe orientation, not the flanges, to make sure they were lined up correctly. For anyone doing this, I recommend using some C clamps and tighten each of the three bolts per side a little at a time so they can grab equally.

The sound is a lot louder. A LOT louder. For those of you who have a stock exhaust with no resonator, you may not like it. The improved airflow means that you hear the air hitting the muffler baffles providing that raspiness that some people do not like.

AND NOW THE GOOD - The sound is a lot louder. A LOT louder. I think it friggin rocks!! Though the raspiness is a bit much right now, I plan on borla'ing soon anyway and even still it sounds sick. The sound was enough to give me numerous thumbs up from people and a couple VW guys who told me that the sound of my car told them it's not a car to be triffled with.

The power... the most important aspect. I must admit the first drive I was a bit let down. I wasn't noticing any huge gains. Granted it was 95 degrees out. But as I drove, the ECU no doubt learned it's new operating conditions and it kept getting stronger and stronger. By last night, the car was making enough power all motor to have my buddy holding on for his life and provide a nice little chirp going into third gear. With the nitrous on... oh sweet Jesus! They screamed like a scottsman battle cry as I was firmly planted what felt like the hand of God pressed me back in my seat.

CEL. None. I have about 200 miles on the car with no cats and it has shown no sign of throwing codes. The stock O2 sensor location had me very curious. The cat pipe itself has a pre cat, heated O2 sensor, then the post cat a few inches later. Strange set up.

Weight savings. For those of you are looking to shed every excess pound you'll be happy to know the bypass pipes weighed in a slender 4 pounds where as the stock cats and support brace clocked in at 18 pounds.

All in all... worthwhile investment. GREAT bang for the buck. Get the hardware before hand. Install time no prior knowledge and without hunting for parts was about 2 hours on ramps. No lift for me.

Last edited by Zaphod 350z; 07-21-2003 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:44 PM
2003z

zaphod, thanks for the great info!

for the others, please don't turn this into another environmentalist wacko thread on why this mod shouldn't be done.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:46 PM
lsdunique

sorry about the hardware, we have been planning on including hardware, just haven't gotten around to it.

These pipes have been so popular that we are having trouble keeping up with the orders, so there hasn't been much R and D time lately.

I am VERY glad to hear you liked them and glad to hear everything worked out.

I am also glad to hear your running nitrous!!, I think that with a nitrous set or FI like the ATI that the cat pipes will do WONDERS. I am sure the stock cats really choke out the exhuast when the hp output goes over 300 at the wheels (like nitrous or FI).

Often aftermarket exhaust components only do minimal on a NA set up because they are fairly well matched, but upgrades to the exhaust are a MUST when supercharging or going nitrous.

Did the stock cats weigh 18 lbs each? I know the cat pipes weigh 4 lbs each, just curious if that means a total weight savings of 28 lbs!!
Old 07-21-2003, 05:52 PM
99AllTurbo

2003z, DITTO!!!!

Thanks for the info. So I guess if I add these to my Injen exhaust, it should be loud as hell.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:03 PM
DeeZee

could someone PLEASE repost the pricing on these? i cant seem to find it! thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 PM
toykilla

where to buy the cat pipes??
Old 07-21-2003, 06:28 PM
zoasis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think the raspiness is from the stock exhaust???
Old 07-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Technica

Red face

I have yet to ride in this beast.
Who went for a drive with you?

Was it

a) Was
b) J
c) K
d) Dru-Hill
e) Xecess
f) your girl
g) Joe
h) Havoc

I think I need to organize a KK meet here on LI so you can give me a ride in this thing.

Does it sound anything like Paul's (Silver S4-Wide body) exhaust?

Ohh yeah how many miles are on the car now.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 AM
99AllTurbo

last time I checked:

stainless - polished $250
stainless - unpolished $220
mild steel with ceramic based coating $175
Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Zaphod 350z

lsdunique - both cats and the support brace were 18pounds. No problem with the hardware. I only cursed you a little bit!! just kidding.

Zoasis - The raspiness is because I removed the center resonator on the stock exhaust. The resonator is a glass pack that warms the tone passing through. without it, the air is hitting the muffler baffles directly and causing the rasp.

Technica - the passenger was my buddy scott. I let him drive. He's an LT1 guy so he kept shifting at 4500rpm. I told him "don't shift till the little light tells you to" after that he was saying HOLY ****. Then I switched the nitrous on. He hit it in 2nd and then into third. After that he promptly pulled over to let me drive because he could not stop his legs from shaking. Set up a get together, you can take it for a spin.