Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Cheapest way to improve exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Hoooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
Maybe you are right. Perhaps everyone that is on a budget should go get an Ebay exhaust? I am on a budget, should I purchase the turbonator?

There is a difference between being cheap and pertaining to a budget.
this is precisely the problem here. you think its better to go throw money at your car and just buy "all the best" without really knowing what youre doing. there are a lot of cheaper parts that will perform as well or better than other more expensive parts. theres nothing wrong with being cheap as long as you do research and buy the correct cheap item. its stupid to say you dont deserve a car because you dont buy expensive parts for it. basically nobody deserves the car except the very few that are doing 1000hp turbo builds right? theyre the only ones that didnt really cheap out.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
high flow cats - Berk ($350 though)

test pipes would be your best bet tho. (also Berk. I believe those dont bring up CEL)
i had Berks hfcs with my stock exhaust... the volume change from stock cats was almost unnoticable..
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by Hoooper
this is precisely the problem here. you think its better to go throw money at your car and just buy "all the best" without really knowing what youre doing. there are a lot of cheaper parts that will perform as well or better than other more expensive parts. theres nothing wrong with being cheap as long as you do research and buy the correct cheap item. its stupid to say you dont deserve a car because you dont buy expensive parts for it. basically nobody deserves the car except the very few that are doing 1000hp turbo builds right? theyre the only ones that didnt really cheap out.
i sort of agree with this, BUT the problem is that no one really cares about the cheap items so the amount of research, info, reviews, etc, you can find on them is very limited... of course there are exeptions, but for most of the cheap parts out there i think its accurate...

also when you are paying for something thats not "cheap" (for example an exhaust thats more than $1000), your not just paying for the name or the hype, your also paying for the months/years of engineering research and development that went into the final product, as well as customer support/warranty if something was to break...

for me there's a happy medium... I would NEVER (atleast i hope not) pay $3000+ for the Amuse exhaust, but i would also not get some cheap eBay pipes for my car... my 2 cents
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
sbZenth

lol. apart from all the drama,
what year is your Z? that might help.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
i had Berks hfcs with my stock exhaust... the volume change from stock cats was almost unnoticable..
i think he meant test pipes specifically. test pipes are definitely louder than HFC's. they give more volume to a stock exhaust and a boatload more power than an a/m exhaust. IMO, test pipes would be his best bet
Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me there's a happy medium... I would NEVER (atleast i hope not) pay $3000+ for the Amuse exhaust, but i would also not get some cheap eBay pipes for my car... my 2 cents
Agreed... I'm not saying get an ARC exhaust but if you want to do something, do it right the first time.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
sk26dett

Do this:

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/362970-removed-muffler-i-love-it.html
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by sbZenth
lol. apart from all the drama,
what year is your Z? that might help.
umm.. why would that matter?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
kroe

My Z is an 03 touring.

Just to be clear on what I am after... I am looking for ways to improve the car (exhaust currently) that are not too expensive. I am not about to buy a turbonator, altezza lights or any of that crap. If I got good feedback on a full stainless, mandrel bent ebay exhaust I would jump on it - I care about the product not where it comes from. If I got bad feedback from those who have actually touched one I would not. Most likely I will pick up a used cat-back from someone on here when I find the right one locally.

One of the replies mentioned that Berk HFCs don't make the exhaust noticeably louder. This is exactly the type of info I am looking for. Doesn't mean I won't be buying Berk HFC's in the future, just that they are not going to be an economical way to make my Z sound a bit meaner.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Hoooper

i hope you read the test pipes comment. cause they will give you more power and louder OEM style sound if combined with the OEM catback
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM
raf84ny

Contact Julain @ MRC. They are in NJ. He was selling Turbo XS exhausts for $499 shipped. Look around for sound clips.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
sprazyo

Whatever you do....don't take out the resonator and replace with a straight pipe if you already have test pipes.

Sincerely,

Michael " I should of did some research and shouldn't of taken out my resonator" Sprazyo
Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by kroe
My Z is an 03 touring.

Just to be clear on what I am after... I am looking for ways to improve the car (exhaust currently) that are not too expensive. I am not about to buy a turbonator, altezza lights or any of that crap. If I got good feedback on a full stainless, mandrel bent ebay exhaust I would jump on it - I care about the product not where it comes from. If I got bad feedback from those who have actually touched one I would not. Most likely I will pick up a used cat-back from someone on here when I find the right one locally.

One of the replies mentioned that Berk HFCs don't make the exhaust noticeably louder. This is exactly the type of info I am looking for. Doesn't mean I won't be buying Berk HFC's in the future, just that they are not going to be an economical way to make my Z sound a bit meaner.
Dont misunderstand... The Berk HFCs did not make the STOCK exhaust much louder... However, when i had the NISMO exhaust and i put on the Berks, they made the NISMO much much louder, meaner, and better sounding.. unfortunately this setup also rasped in the higher RPMs so i took it off... im stock now, and waiting on the Motordyne exhaust.. come on tony!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
sk26dett

did you miss my post? This is exactly what your looking for. Cheap, loud, oem like:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362970
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
sbZenth

umm.. why would that matter?
because if his was an 07, i was going to suggest AAM test pipes because i know for a fact those test pipes achieved the type of sound he was looking for. Thats what i had on my car with a stock exhaust. I dont know, however, how they sound with the older engines. so i didnt want to misinform him.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:36 PM
ginobetterfly

because if his was an 07, i was going to suggest AAM test pipes because i know for a fact those test pipes achieved the type of sound he was looking for. Thats what i had on my car with a stock exhaust. I dont know, however, how they sound with the older engines. so i didnt want to misinform him.
ok... im 99% sure though that the exhaust systems are the same 03-08... but even if they are different, it cant be by much, and in my opinion, it shouldn't matter if the test pipes you are talking about are going on an 07 or any other year...

EDIT: did you see a big increase going with all that AAM stuff? did you get a tune?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Cannysage

you can find a name brand catback for dirtcheap. I would recommend you not tampering with the exhaust system, until you have some money saved up for a good, used catback or testpipes.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
sbZenth

ok... im 99% sure though that the exhaust systems are the same 03-08... but even if they are different, it cant be by much, and in my opinion, it shouldn't matter if the test pipes you are talking about are going on an 07 or any other year...

EDIT: did you see a big increase going with all that AAM stuff? did you get a tune?
test pipes are a different fit. Actually, if you get pre 07 test pipes it will not fit at all on an 07. ill dig up the dyno sheets and pm you.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
ginobetterfly

test pipes are a different fit. Actually, if you get pre 07 test pipes it will not fit at all on an 07. ill dig up the dyno sheets and pm you.
yeah im aware of that... but what i was saying is that i still think the sound is still very similar if not the same..

i would like to see your numbers.. thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
killa.beez33

if you're going to eventually get a nice exhaust system, then why not just wait and save up and get one then? I mean, you're going to spend 200-300 now and then another grand later? not worth it imo.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way to improve exhaust sound?