Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Removed Muffler..i Love It!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 AM
cambo350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed Muffler..i Love It!

well i came upon this long thread(https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....muffler)..read the whole thing..saw the dyno sheets and decided to do this.. I always wanted a louder deeper sound but didn't want to spend tons of $ on an exhaust..few performance shop owners said since i still have the cats that i wouldn't lose any power and the dyno sheets from the above thread proves it..so i went to a local custom exhaust shop and had it done and welded the stock tips to the new piping.$150 otd. it now just sounds mean as hell!!! no droning on the highway or cruising..not raspy..just loud with a lower pitched growl when you're accelerating and screams at wot above 4k. i went to my neighbor's house aftwerwards who is really into cars and restoring them and working on them and revved my engine..i asked him "what do you think i did to it?" he said "did you get a turbo?" he loved the sound. overally very happy.. was gonna put aftermarket magnaflow double walled slant tips on but he only had one in stock and he would of had to order the other.. i can always get them put on later. overall very happy..did not feel any power loss whatsoever. will post pics and will try to get a video later. shop did a great job to where u can't see the piping running across standing from behind..since he ran it high.I'm now part of the po folks exhaust club!whoohoo!

NEWLY ADDED

COLD START STARTUP AND IDLING

engine warm, start, revving

the videos are of just in the garage on a cold start and second one warm start then revving..I need to get my girl to tape me driving off and in the car but she is at work but here is a link of SBT's car without his muffler driving around town..
<div align="center">
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=350Z-wo-stock-muffler" height="349" width="420" align="middle">
<param name="movie" value="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=350Z-wo-stock-muffler" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<embed src="http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=350Z-wo-stock-muffler" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="349" width="420"></embed>
</object><br><a href="http://media.putfile.com/350Z-wo-stock-muffler?utm_source=embed1&utm_medium=embed">350Z-wo-stock-muffler</a> - <a href="http://www.putfile.com/?utm_source=embed1&utm_medium=embed">Hosted by Putfile.com</a></div>

Last edited by cambo350z; 06-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If he thinks you got a turbo simply because your car is louder... I say he's not very "into" cars...
Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
If he thinks you got a turbo simply because your car is louder... I say he's not very "into" cars...
lmao, +1, turbo's actually muffle the exhaust note.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Sergio07350Z

well be waiting for the vids later then
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unlawful Vehicle Modifications
Under traffic laws in most states, drivers may be given a traffic ticket for operating a vehicle that has been modified in violation of laws that regulate vehicle specifications and vehicle equipment. Examples of vehicle modifications that may result in a traffic ticket include:

Addition of non-standard lighting (neon lights, under-vehicle lights),
Alteration or removal of air pollution and emissions control device
Modification of vehicle ground clearance ("lowered" or "raised" vehicles),
Removal of mufflers and other sound-control devices, and
Window tinting (especially tinting of windshield or driver/front passenger side windows).
An unlawfully-modified vehicle can receive a traffic ticket for a mechanical violation. In some states, citations for certain unlawful vehicle modifications are considered "fix-it" tickets or "correctable violations." In California, for example, if you are given a "fix-it" ticket by a police officer, "yes" will be checked next to "Correctable Violation", and after the problem is fixed (i.e. you remove illegal under-car lights), you must get the signature of an authorized person (i.e. a local law enforcement officer) on the "Certificate of Correction" portion of the ticket. If you are issued a "fix-it" ticket for an unlawful vehicle modification in your state, read the ticket to determine whether you can mail the proof of correction, rather than taking it to court.

If the court accepts your correction, the case will be dismissed. But, if you fail to fix the problem within a short time after you receive a "fix-it" ticket, you will need to pay the fine for the unlawful vehicle modification, and you may be issued another ticket which will go on your record.
and yes, this is illegal in Florida. hope you enjoy the fines you are likely to receive

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(13) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...20272#0316.272

it is individuals like this that give the 350Z a bad name and be lumped into the ricer category. way to go.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Escobar

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts

^ agreed. it is a shame.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
cambo350z

I had an 05 mustang and the aftermarked exhaust i got for it were just tips with piping that replaced the mufflers..no problems with cops.ran by cops all the time..louder than my Z. and in that statute that states about the muffler being removed, the line above that includes "Modification of vehicle ground clearance ("lowered" or "raised" vehicles)", i guess i'll be getting a ticket for being lowered too right. there are tons of people in florida with lowered cars and raised trucks..And why would i give a 350z a bad name?.it looks stock..just b/c it's louder doensn't mean i'm a ricer! I'm sorry I ashamed u of your high 350z status.
Originally Posted by Z04
and yes, this is illegal in Florida. hope you enjoy the fines you are likely to receive

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...20272#0316.272

it is individuals like this that give the 350Z a bad name and be lumped into the ricer category. way to go.

Last edited by cambo350z; 05-30-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM
cambo350z

well he's restoring this old firebird piece by piece..does his own body and engine work on it in his garage.looks better week to week.he's got like every tool imagineable...maybe he just doesn't know much about FI.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
saberphx

His mod is perfectly fine. You seriously think hes gonna get fine's with his stock tips on?! You think the cop is gonna know their is a muffler missing? Get off your horse that mod isn't rice.

I've cut my stock exhaust before the muffler to hear what it was like before I installed my first exhaust and it sounded much better then I thought it would. Not too deep, not raspy at all. Kudos to OP for a cheap but effective mod.

RICE? Are you kidding me?? Oh wait! lol Thats coming from the guy who says "making your rims poke out is a fad"
Nevermind.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
cambo350z

Thank you.

Originally Posted by saberphx
His mod is perfectly fine. You seriously think hes gonna get fine's with his stock tips on?! You think the cop is gonna know their is a muffler missing? Get off your horse that mod isn't rice.

I've cut my stock exhaust before the muffler to hear what it was like before I installed my first exhaust and it sounded much better then I thought it would. Not too deep, not raspy at all. Kudos to OP for a cheap but effective mod.

RICE? Are you kidding me?? Oh wait! lol Thats coming from the guy who says "making your rims poke out is a fad"
Nevermind.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by saberphx

Nevermind.
whatever. you used the one word that does not belong with the 350z and mods, and that is cheap. you want cheap, get a honda.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
cambo350z

Originally Posted by Z04
whatever. you used the one word that does not belong with the 350z and mods, and that is cheap. you want cheap, get a honda.
like your cheap eyelids
Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
TheOtherRob

For who ever said that having no muffler is illegal FL. Well they better pull over EVERY single srt4 on the road. They come STOCK with no muffler at all.... And for four years I had 3" TB exhaust w/no cats. No problems.

I guess this is the new alternative to hollowing out your cats...
Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by cambo350z
like your cheap eyelids
you= fail. those are no longer on the car. wanna try again?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by cambo350z
well he's restoring this old firebird piece by piece..does his own body and engine work on it in his garage.looks better week to week.he's got like every tool imagineable...maybe he just doesn't know much about FI.

I sanded down, did body work on, and repainted a 1989 chevy C1500, built up a 350 through Summit and Jegs parts, and change my own oil. I still know what a turbo sounds like.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by Z04
you= fail. those are no longer on the car. wanna try again?
Yeah. He took the eyelids off a long while ago when people suggested it to him.

Using old pictures for insults...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
SBT

rock on dude. that modification made my car sound sick.

honestly, i think it gets a little quieter as you "break in" the piping and its definitely not loud enough for a noise pollution citation. i can see it being too loud for some of the older owners or people who just plain don't like noise, but i think it was a really cool idea to follow through with.

-chris
Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
scmtkings4

please put up vids! thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
singh

Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 PM
black06z

I'll be waiting for pics and video clips. I was seriously thinking of doing this, this weekend. I just need to know how it sounds.

Quick Reply: Removed Muffler..i Love It!