Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
^ok good news. altho i wish you got hfc so the results coulda been a little more accurate for me. but good enough

besides the rasp, can you keep note of how much louder it is with the straight section as compared with the resonator? Let me know if you hear a noticeable volume difference. Thanks man
ill try to shoot some videos, if tony lets me (if he has time between the swaps)...

i will be replacing the TPs with HFCs as soon as the Berk 2.5" come out...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

^ok good news. altho i wish you got hfc so the results coulda been a little more accurate for me. but good enough...
The test pipe test is an even better test because it is much more likely to produce rasp.

If it works with test pipes, it will only be smoother with HFC's.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
ill try to shoot some videos, if tony lets me (if he has time between the swaps)...

100% We have to get this on video.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 PM
phooka

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Plumpzz will probably hang on to it for about a week for sound evaluation purposes.

He's currently running a JIC single so it will be a good benchmark for a comparison.
Any sound clips with the JIC single? Full Ti or ?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
scmtkings4

what size are the berk hfc now? 3"? If so, why do you want the 2.5? I thought the XYZ was 3"?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM
ginobetterfly

what size are the berk hfc now? 3"? If so, why do you want the 2.5? I thought the XYZ was 3"?
the current production berks are 60mm (which i believe is somewhere around 2.38")... the XYZ is 2.5" so it would be perfect with the 2.5" Berks (as soon as they are out)
Old 08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
scmtkings4

hmm so does it hinder performance since the berk is 2.38 while the XYZ is 2.5? i never gave any thought about the diamater of the openings
Old 08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

2.38" --> 2.5"
No. Not for a small sudden expansion of this size.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Get_Zwole

is there anything coming out that you can hook up to the shockwave and have two tips coming out the back?

I love the look of a single but only when the canister is back there. I think it would look better with two tips instead of just one.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Sick Z

^I think a dual tip version of the Harakiri exhaust with 2 fat Ti mufflers would be sick!!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
_ink

I just installed the helix non resonated test pipes...

so now i have:
stock headers -> TPs -> STOCK y-pipe -> NISMO mid pipe -> NISMO muffler

I left my XYZ w/ resonator out right now for a reason... and that is to see how bad the rasp would be... well let me tell you, it rasps sooooo BAD...

This sunday, we will be swapping in the XYZ w/ straight section and then with the resonator to see what the resonator can do. im keeping my fingers crossed that it will clean up most of the rasp.

stay tuned...
You should be making a video now and another one after xyz is installed.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
is there anything coming out that you can hook up to the shockwave and have two tips coming out the back?

I love the look of a single but only when the canister is back there. I think it would look better with two tips instead of just one.
Yes, the Shockwave dual is comming out soon.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Sick Z
^I think a dual tip version of the Harakiri exhaust with 2 fat Ti mufflers would be sick!!
The Harakiri dual is MANDATORY!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by _ink
You should be making a video now and another one after xyz is installed.
Pre/Post video clips.

We're doing this first thing tomorrow morning along with a couple other Z's and G's too.

We just took some videos of Dereks G35C with the resonated XYZ and VQ muffler on resonated test pipes. It is litterally quieter than stock.

Its so quiet that it almost sounds like a cruiser BMW.

ZERO RASP, ZERO DRONE AND TOTALY SMOOTH.
You only hear as much as you would hear from a Cadillac or BMW. ...Luxury sound from a 3" diameter free flowing exhaust system on test pipes.

We will compare this against the Nismo exhaust with and without the resonated XYZ and then against another Z with stock cats with Shockwave&VQ, and finally against another Z pumped up on unresonated testpipes with both the VQ&Shockwave.

There will be a wide range of sounds to listen to. Super quiet to Electrifyingly loud.

We will get the pre/post videos put together so you can see and hear everything.

Tony

PS This afternoon we took a video of the VQ to Shockwave swap out. The conversion only took 4 minutes. We will get this video posted too. Its too easy!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ooooo sounds sick, cant wait
Old 08-09-2008, 10:41 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Pre/Post video clips.

We're doing this first thing tomorrow morning along with a couple other Z's and G's too.

We just took some videos of Dereks G35C with the resonated XYZ and VQ muffler on resonated test pipes. It is litterally quieter than stock.
I’m sooo glad you posted this… I was at CAT when Derek was dyno tuning… I was bewildered by how tame it sounded… I told Derek at least 3 times “Its so quite and tame”… I’ve been chomping at the bit to mention it, but didn’t want to step on whatever you guys were doing… now that it’s posted; I guess its okay to mention…

Anyway – I had to go back to work – but was/am interested in the results (not pre-post MD for those looking for those numbers) Osiris info…

FWIW – it sounded very thin and subdued… if the gains are there, this is a REAL sleeper of a mod! It will really surprise people!!!! (Derek’s version only, I have no idea about any others).
Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 PM
godmans

Originally Posted by OCG35
I’m sooo glad you posted this… I was at CAT when Derek was dyno tuning… I was bewildered by how tame it sounded… I told Derek at least 3 times “Its so quite and tame”… I’ve been chomping at the bit to mention it, but didn’t want to step on whatever you guys were doing… now that it’s posted; I guess its okay to mention…

Anyway – I had to go back to work – but was/am interested in the results (not pre-post MD for those looking for those numbers) Osiris info…

FWIW – it sounded very thin and subdued… if the gains are there, this is a REAL sleeper of a mod! It will really surprise people!!!! (Derek’s version only, I have no idea about any others).
Now you got us hooked.. at least for the crowd who would want the ride to tame at times.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by godmans
Now you got us hooked.. at least for the crowd who would want the ride to tame at times.
Derek (dsskyline) is an AT G coupe, has the XYZ (I know nothing about other configs)... sounded extremely subtle and unobtrusive from idle through WOT... at WOT it's a bit thin (I'm sure it would open up with other variations (that MD offers) - I'm used to HFC and test pipes - I have HFC...

If the setup Derek has shows gains - it will crush/surprise unsuspecting competition. Period. * Based on the tame sound.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike it's even more quiet now. The thin sound you heard was rasp on the dyno. I found out from Tony today that my mid pipe was missing the resonator that's on his exhaust. I already had the VQ muffler when I was FI 5 months ago.

I added his resonator today and it is virtually silent you can't even hear it idle you hear the engine more than the exhaust.

Tony it's even quieter now maybe too quiet which is good for a sleeper and the cops. Now the shockwave is a completely different animal!!!

Originally Posted by OCG35

Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll post the dyno sheet tomorrow, but here is the break down on my 5at. My car is a G35 coupe.

I dynoed at church automotive 2yrs ago and my car pulled 275hp and 252 tq. I dyno tuned my car yesterday and pulled 274hp and 241tq now before anyone say anything about losing power lets take a look at the difference.

Feb 16 2006 Temp 61F 275hp 252tq
mods

kinetix plenum
3/8 spacer
stillen cab
z-tube
ground wires
UR crank pulley
kinetix HFC
Borla TD
stillen vb
TS reflash (flashed for mods)

Aug 8 2008 Temp 92F 274hp 241tq
mods

5/16 spacer iso thermal
UR crank pulley
k&n drop in filter with stock airbox and tube (the baffeled one)
xyz pipe with resonator
labree 2.5 resonated test pipes
MD VQ muffler
stillen vb
edge racing TC
osiris tune

I pulled almost the same with a 30 degree difference and less mods. If it was cooler it would of pulled more. The torque is off due to my modified tq converter.

Last edited by denchan350gt; 08-09-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Motordyne XYZ-Pipe (Pilot Production)