Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Skunk2 spacer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
tony vs tony, plenum spacer vs plenum spacer .. oh the drama! : )

Welcome to the TONYDOME!

Honestly they need to test it on two cars. Testing it on one car will show what gains that particular car makes, test it on two and see if it shows similar gains.

Still not entirely scientific but atleast shows back to back conclusions. If they are totally opposite it shows that cars are different both companies make a perfectly fine product.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Skunk2Tony

=)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
tony vs tony, plenum spacer vs plenum spacer .. oh the drama! : )
LOL. That was a great way to throw in some humor.

I remember back in the day, when someone mentioned something about a lot of Tony's being involved in the intake/exhaust arena. It's nice to see that this has remained friendly and is going in the direction of providing more information for the community.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

humor aside, let me explain my experience while shopping for a plenum spacer about 4-5 months back.

the inner jew in me automatically selected the skunk2 spacer, due to a slightly lower price point. I thought it was a very simple piece of hardware and the gains would all be similar so why spend more.

then I continued to research the crap out of them. I immediately dismissed it when I found out I couldn't use my stock strut bar without rigging my own setup with custom spacers?

fail, not everyone wants to "run to home depot and buy spacers for 1$", potential to be a headache to find proper ones etc, if it's that simple why can't you include it, and increase the price accordingly? convenience. ease of install, knowing everyone will just work the way it should.. priceless.

Found a MD iso thermal 5/16th spacer for about 20$ more and went that route because they supplied all of the hardware, and did extensive R&D that everyone can see, lots of comparisons with dyno charts etc, where I saw none of that about the skunk2 version.

want to increase sales? one of the tony's is doing things right.. you could borrow some of their ideas and thoroughness.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL! Excellent. Its on.

I'll get back to this thread shortly. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Skunk2Tony

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
LOL. That was a great way to throw in some humor.

I remember back in the day, when someone mentioned something about a lot of Tony's being involved in the intake/exhaust arena. It's nice to see that this has remained friendly and is going in the direction of providing more information for the community.
Rickdogg were you the one at Superautbacs wearing the pot robe/pj's giving out hemp string that you burn while you smoke?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Originally Posted by Skunk2Tony
Rickdogg were you the one at Superautbacs wearing the pot robe/pj's giving out hemp string that you burn while you smoke?
Yeah, that would be me. LOL @ remembering the outfit Did I give you a sample?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

...To also further clear things up we were never personally invited to join the plenum spacer shootout that you keep speaking of.

We never received any e-mails nor phone calls regarding this matter. ....

Tony

Skunk2 was never contacted by Sport Z Magazine about submitting a part for the magazine article?

Skunk2 never submitted a plenum spacer to Sport Z Magazine?

No email or communication regarding this matter?

No knowledge of it at all... OK.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Skunk2Tony

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Yeah, that would be me. LOL @ remembering the outfit Did I give you a sample?
Yea i remember you rick... can i borrow it sometime? I think the ladies love it...

Skunk2 was never contacted by Sport Z Magazine about submitting a part for the magazine article?

Skunk2 never submitted a plenum spacer to Sport Z Magazine?

No email or communication regarding this matter?

No knowledge of it at all... OK.
Nope nothing at all... I was never contacted by them and when was the shoot out?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Nope nothing at all... I was never contacted by them...
You... as in Skunk2...

Thank you.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 PM
OCG35
Banned

=)
I'm a Motordyne fan - but I MUST admit - this post is damn funny!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Since I have a little pull with Nissan Sport we should have the SZM Three Plenums and Three Spacers... at Ten Paces article up on our website by the end of next week.

Many of you know that I was the the writer who conceived, contacted, coordinated, and complied the Sport Z Magazine Winter 06 Shootout Article.

That said, I felt obligated to make a couple of corrections to this tread.

First: Skunk2 was contacted by Sport Z Magazine (me) about submitting a part for the magazine article.

Second: Skunk2 did submit a plenum spacer to Sport Z Magazine (me) for testing. I received it on Monday along with a plenum -- one day after the test.

Here's what I wrote as part of the published artice.

Skunk2 VQ35 Plenum Spacer At the time of our testing, the $225 Skunk2 spacer was unavailable. This spacer differs from the competition with its 5/8” height and its carbon-impregnated nylon-6 material which, according to the manufacturer, “offers superior thermal insulation characteristics which also increases power by keeping the upper plenum and charge air temperatures lower.” This increase in height precludes the use of the G35’s engine cover and the 350Z’s stock strut tower bar. Like the similar products we did test, the Skunk2 VQ35 Plenum Spacer increases the plenum’s volume by an estimated 33.4 percent. At an estimated 6911 cubic centimeters it’s the “big” winner in the volume race. Skunk2 provided dyno results to back up their claims of 10+ hp at the wheels along with increased throttle response. Based on the results from similar products, we believe them. The Skunk2 Spacer comes with detailed instructions, composite pillar supports and longer bolts with washers. Special care should be taken to prevent vacuum leaks when installing this product.

As for independent evaluations, I invited several Z and G guys to participate in the shootout and to observe the results first hand so there would be many independent "witnesses". It turned out I missed thanking a couple of them in print.

Again from the published article...

And big thanks go out to our evaluators and wrenchers: Albert Lin, Anthony Hayslett, Clint Cheng, Gurgen Bagdasarian, Eric Ko, and SZM’s 350Z Editor Jeff Wisener. Not to be forgotten, the 350Z and G35 owners who sacrificed their cars for testing and helped evaluate products and wrench.

Hopefully this information helps to clarify some history.

Look for the complete article on www.nissansportmag.com next week.

Last edited by DaveO; 03-05-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
OCG35
Banned

^^^ nice to see a post by Mr. DaveO!

Thanks for info Dave
Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Skunk2Tony

Correction on my part...

A spacer was sent out from Skunk2 Racing for testing purposes but we had never heard back anything about it nor did we know it was for sport z magazine.

Must have been just simple mis-communication on both parties.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
OCG35
Banned

Correction on my part...

A spacer was sent out from Skunk2 Racing for testing purposes but we had never heard back anything about it nor did we know it was for sport z magazine.

you sent it to a SportZ staff member and you didn’t know it was for Sport Z magazine?... I'm sure DaveO explained what the spacer would be used for or it would have never been sent out - right?

I'm not following your post - and I really don’t see how it was miss-communication on both parties... seems like Motordyne and SportZ knew - hell, I'm a SportZ (now Nissan Sport) subscriber, and even I knew
(after reading the article)... apparently Skunk2 was the only part of this that didn’t know what was going on How could a product be sent out for testing and the manufacturer not even know it?... I would think someone would have been all over it and anxiously awaited results (unless they rely on threads like this to spread the word)
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

Correction on my part...

It was indeed a while back as these things go. Mis-communication perhaps. One thing I do remember is all companies that provided products were contacted by me either by phone or email. I informed Skunk that the Skunk2 spacer missed the test date. Also I did return the Skunk2 Spacer... in fact I may still have copies of all the article related UPS receipts as I had to "expense them out" and seldom throw anything business related away.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
CircleHeartX

keep it going guys.
Im in the middle of buying one of these spacers and i will appreciate the companies honesty and facts. For it is money that i work for as well as all the others guys.
thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Last edited by Rickdogg; 03-05-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CircleHeartX
keep it going guys.
Im in the middle of buying one of these spacers and i will appreciate the companies honesty and facts. For it is money that i work for as well as all the others guys.
thanks.
The MD spacer has time and time again proved it's gains vs other spacers...if you're in the middle of buying anything else then think again.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Correction on my part...

Wow! Just Wow! ....But that's all in the past.

OK.

So now we move forward into your more recent postings.

You called me out. You (Skunk2) strongly implied that I (Motordyne) advertised inflated dyno numbers. I didn't want anything to do with this but you forced me into responding.

Please note that all of my advertised dyno numbers are based on the "Independent" testing performed by Sport Z Magazine (Now Nissan Sport Magazine). All of the plenum spacer dyno testing shown on my website comes from that independent dyno test. And it was not just one single encapsulated test of one spacer. It was a carefully controlled test performed with many, many indpendant withnesses and against many other plenum modifications. It was a test of many plenum mods by which the same measuring stick was used. It can't get any better than this.

It was an independent dyno test performed by Shawn Church at Church Automotive for Sport Z Magazine. Church Auto: the same company you (Skunk2) use to publish dyno testing.

So when you call me out... suggesting bogus numbers... you are by defalt also calling out Sport Z and/or Church Auto.

This independant test is the basis of my advertised dyno numbers.

There is absolutely no fudge factor applied to these dynos. If you look at these numbers and then look at the numbers on my website, you will see my advertised numbers are infact biased downward.

I also do not advertise that the spacers increase gas milage. Unless measuring gas milage at WOT while on the road course, a spacer makes absolutely no difference at all.

If I advertised as such, it would be misleading.

So everybody (the world) knows plenum spacers make HP on the non-revup VQ35 DE engine. And they all make power to varying degrees. Simple.

So what about about the REVUP engine in the 05 and 06 revup 350Z and G35?

Below is the result of a similar test performed (by me) at a well packed dyno day at Church Auto. This was my first test of the 1/2" plenum spacer on the new REVUP engine. And the only thing I did here was install it. The rest was up to Shawn and Leo the owner of the REVUP G35.

I posted these results back in 2005 (within days of the dyno GTG). Posted here on MY350Z, G35Driver and several other forums. I didn't like the results. It was embarrasing. But it was valid test.

It been posted several times and was even posted recently:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...mendation.html

Why would I post this? Because it is the truth. It was a valid test. It can't be spun up or down.

Other than the usual dyno to dyno variation, the 1/2" spacer did absolutely nothing on the REVUP engine.

If I was like many other manufacturers, I could take the best dyno run of the spacer and take the worst dyno run of stock, plot them against each other and bingo! 9+ HP... but that would be decietfull and unethical. And very risky.

The test results above are what forced me to rethink power production on this engine. And this is how the original MREV was born. Things progressed from there. MREV+ and then MREV2... (I can provide links if you want them)

During the Sport Z Magazine dyno day the first gen. MREV with 5/16" plenum spacer was also tested by Sport Z Magazine at ChurchAuto on Shawn Church's REVUP G35. Same car, same day, same dyno etc, etc... On Shawns G, it dynod over 15 HP and 18 TQ in the upper midrange.

Many (many!) other tests performed by members, shops, enthusiasts, haters and surfers of this Z forum and on G35Driver have tested that and more. Some in excess of 20HP and 30TQ. So I specify the MREV2 spacer combo as producing 15+HP/18+TQ. No stretching. No fudge factor.

For a well controlled test (that I am aware of) 15HP and 18TQ is the lowest ever recorded with a MREV2/spacer combo. And that is how I therefor rate the MREV.

All of my advertised numbers are based solely on independent and well controlled testing.

Affirmatively- I assert the spacers make gains on the non-revup engine.
Affirmatively- I assert the spacer with MREV2 makes gains on the REVUP engine.
Negatively- I assert a spacer by itself does not make gains on the REVUP engine.

This is the basis of my numbers. Let me know if you have any questions.

-------------

So now, I must ask you....

You advertise on your website 10+ HP and +2 MPG on 03-05 350Z's and G35's.

I believe the 10+ HP on a non-revup engine, but you make no distinction of revup Vs non-revup.

How does your spacer perform on a REVUP engine? 10+HP?

Also, the +2 MPG... on any engine.
Under what conditions can that measurement be repeated?

Thank you.
Tony Colette
Motordyne

Quick Reply: Skunk2 spacer