Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
gennosuke1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont get what do u mean "lean your car out"
Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice #'s OP!

I would recommend you ditch the pop charger and use the revup airbox with a K&N filter..
It should feel more responsive down low
Old 03-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gennosuke1
i dont get what do u mean "lean your car out"
As in flowing more air. When the ratio of air flow to fuel flow is increased it is often called "leaning out" the fuel air ratio.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
gennosuke1

^^ thanks a lot for your help man, your comments are appreciated

i think ill be getting the popcharger soon
Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Onagao,

Can I post your dyno plot on my website as an independent dyno?

Thank you,
Tony
Absolutely. If you want, I could probably run down to the dyno shop sometime and get the Winpep data for you. If not, feel free to use what was posted. Just let me know if you want me to.

Last edited by onagao; 04-02-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by Reality350
Nice #'s OP!

I would recommend you ditch the pop charger and use the revup airbox with a K&N filter..
It should feel more responsive down low
Thanks

I left my stock airbox with my brother out in New Mexico. I've heard varying reports about the effectiveness. I'm thinking that with a tune, the Popcharger and others are more effective than just a drop-in. Without a tune, I'm thinking the ECU over-corrects and/or adjusts for the intake mod in such a way that you might see little to no gain (or even losses in some extreme cases).

I gave it a lot of thought when I discovered the whole issue, and just sided with the popcharger out of laziness. However, now that I just got my car professionally tuned by Uprev (+16whp @ 6600rpm!), I think I'm probably better off. If you could show me something that suggested otherwise, though, I would definitely consider a switch.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
onagao

Official update to my running lean situation:

Despite the fact that we couldn't find an exhaust leak in a brief search, the degree to which the dyno sniffer said my car was running lean was inaccurate. After getting a hold of Uprev's Osiris Standard w/ Cipher, I was able to monitor the true A/F ratios. As it turns out, it was running lean - perhaps dangerously so - at least undesirably so. However, instead of the 16-17 that the sniffer indicated, it was more 14-14.8 or so. With all of my mods, that's not surprising at all. If the sniffer had told me that initially, I would have been like, "Hmm... Okay." instead of freaking out.

At any rate, the trip down to Austin where Uprev gave my car a proper dyno tune, these new A/F readings were confirmed. Then they waved their little magic wand over my car and gave it a lot more power. Now I'm running with over 16whp more at 6600rpm and an A/F ratio of 12.9 across the board. I am a happy camper.

All said and done, I have nothing but the best things to say about Motordyne and their products. The MREV2 and Spacer are easily the best bang for the buck bolt-on set that I put on my car. Kudos to Tony and Co. for making a fantastic product. You have a very happy customer in me.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onagao
Official update to my running lean situation:

Despite the fact that we couldn't find an exhaust leak in a brief search, the degree to which the dyno sniffer said my car was running lean was inaccurate. After getting a hold of Uprev's Osiris Standard w/ Cipher, I was able to monitor the true A/F ratios. As it turns out, it was running lean - perhaps dangerously so - at least undesirably so. However, instead of the 16-17 that the sniffer indicated, it was more 14-14.8 or so. With all of my mods, that's not surprising at all. If the sniffer had told me that initially, I would have been like, "Hmm... Okay." instead of freaking out.

At any rate, the trip down to Austin where Uprev gave my car a proper dyno tune, these new A/F readings were confirmed. Then they waved their little magic wand over my car and gave it a lot more power. Now I'm running with over 16whp more at 6600rpm and an A/F ratio of 12.9 across the board. I am a happy camper.

All said and done, I have nothing but the best things to say about Motordyne and their products. The MREV2 and Spacer are easily the best bang for the buck bolt-on set that I put on my car. Kudos to Tony and Co. for making a fantastic product. You have a very happy customer in me.
If by 'magic wand' you mean optimal AFR for torque, than sure. Your fueling was all whacked. If you didn't make significantly more power with lower AFR, I'd be concerned. Turns out that the whole 'optimal fueling' thing actually makes sense, ey? I know...I'm being a smart ***.

As for your intake, given that Z's stock intake is highly tuned for resonance frequencies, your best best is the stock box. It's not just about the flow. The resonance is also very important and that you can't measure that without sophisticated equipment. Just ask Motordyne why 5/16 space is the right size for their space er: resonance for optimal flow.

Glad you worked out the details.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
.... It's not just about the flow. The resonance is also very important and that you can't measure that without sophisticated equipment....
This is so true.
Its not just about flow. Its resonances. You can even think about it as being acoustics. IE the sound of the resonating runners in combination with the plenum chamber.

An interesting observation:

When the upper plenum is removed and you have access to the lower plenum (which is bolted to the engine) if you were to gently slap one of the runner inlets it will resonate like a Bongo drum. And it will resonate differently if the associated intake valve is open or closed. The MREV2's bongo sound is louder and deeper than the REVUP lower plenums bongo sound.

This isn't a way to gauge a manifolds performance... but it does give you an interesting audible connection to the sounds and acoustics going on inside the plenum assembly. And from the sound of the MREV2 and REVUP, you can hear a relative correlation between their different engine tuning frequencies.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
onagao

Really??

It makes sense, and I'm surprised I didn't consider that beforehand - a mechanical engineering degree is supposed to teach you some things.

Questions:

So reverting to the stock airbox would increase performance even in a heavily modded and tuned situation like mine?

Also, would a lot of whistling coming from the Popcharger/Intake at half throttle be a sign of poor resonance detrimentally affecting the performance? If so, I'm switching ASAP, because my car whistles like it's turbocharged now that I have the MREV and Spacer.

I mean, I will gladly, happily, and excitedly take any professional advice on the matter.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

I much prefer the stock air box over after market intakes. The aftermarket intakes typically draw in a lot of hot air from the engine compartment when you are stopped or moving slowly... and hot air quickly reduces power.

Hot air induction at a stop light means you will experience about a ~15 HP reduction for about the first 4 seconds of a launch.

And yes, please send me the data files!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 04-03-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
onagao

I much prefer the stock air box over after market intakes. The aftermarket intakes typically draw in a lot of hot air from the engine compartment when you are stopped or moving slowly... and hot air quickly reduces power.

Hot air induction at a stop light means you will experience about a ~15 HP reduction for about the first 4 seconds of a launch.

And yes, please send me the data files!
Just to confirm:
Based on your professional experience, you would say that even with a tune, a K&N drop in with the stock airbox would be better than a Popcharger?

That bit on the launch is appalling. I've already asked my brother to hook me up with my old airbox the next time we see each other.

I'll see if I can't drop by the dyno shop tomorrow and bring my flash drive. How would you like me to send them - just post them or email?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Yes to the stock box.

And email would be fine.

Thank you!
Tony
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM
onagao

Yes to the stock box.

And email would be fine.

Thank you!
Tony
PM sent... I don't have an email address to send it to
Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Thank you!

PM'd
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
alex350z06

Unhappy

Originally Posted by onagao
So I got some good news and some bad - potentially very bad - news.

First, the good. As expected, HP and TQ numbers went up significantly throughout the midrange. I don't have exact calculations as to how much was gained in the midrange... because I was too distracted by the bad news to ask. You can look at the chart and get a rough estimate as to how much they were, though.

New numbers:
262.10 WHP
252.47 WTQ

[VIDEO]
[BEFORE/AFTER CHART IS ATTACHED]

So that's the good news. The power and torque increases are right up there with Motordyne's advertised numbers. I'm actually quite happy with them.

Here's the bad news...

My car is running EXTREMELY lean (around 16). I don't have any previous A/F ratio data, so I don't know if this is a new development. Regardless, the numbers are alarming. The guy who was running the test said that it was extremely dangerous to run this lean - that within months, my rings could go out, etc. He said he definitely wouldn't get on this car in any hard way, given the situation.

So here I am with a bittersweet feeling. On one hand, the numbers met my expectations, and I'm happy. On the other hand, I could have a very serious issue on my hands.

So please, anyone, help me out here. I don't know how to deal with a problem like this. I have a few options that I can think of:

1) My brother suggested that I reset the ECU, even though I had the negative end of the battery disconnected for several hours - long enough to erase my radio presets (which I thought was an indication of ECU reset).

2) I could go in the direction of an ECU reflash - Uprev Osiris or Cobb Tuning AccessPort.

3) I could follow the advice of the guy at the shop and look into a new fuel injection/management system.

I really don't like #3. #1 doesn't seem like it hasn't already been done. And #2 will cost a substantial amount of money. These are the only 3 things I can come up with, and I don't know if any of them will help. That's why I'm asking anyone and everyone for some advice.

Please help.
Just curious. Has anyone else who has had these two mods installed (mrev2 & 5/16 spacer) experienced these problems after installation? I plan to add these mods to my 06Z in the near future and would hate to have this problem on my hands.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by alex350z06
Just curious. Has anyone else who has had these two mods installed (mrev2 & 5/16 spacer) experienced these problems after installation? I plan to add these mods to my 06Z in the near future and would hate to have this problem on my hands.
Wow this was a long time ago. I guess I should follow up to help quell some of your fears on this one. I did end up taking my car down to Uprev in Austin, TX for a dyno tune some time after this. Gained a lot of horsepower, ate some pizza, had a great time. However, one of the things we did discover during the tune was that the AFR wasn't nearly as high as the sniffer at my original dyno session was suggesting.

While it was high, running in the 14's at its worst point, it wasn't quite as bad as the 16 I had thought. It's just one of those things that happens with some of your AFR "sniffer" senors at the tail of the exhaust - if you have a leak of any kind, it can throw the entire reading off.

So all that being said, you can expect the mod combination to lean things out a bit, but it's not that bad. I think it would still be a good idea down the road to get a tune - you stand to gain gobs of torque and horsepower while ensuring that your car is running as safely and reliably as possible. Just my two cents on the matter.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
alex350z06

Thanks for the update