Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The anti-popcharger thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

All the datalogs I have disagree with what hrdrazine says. It is closer to 1 second (2 max). He is a reputable guy and I have some of his products, but I have to disagree with im on this count. I can't say I have ever, ever seen any dyno to prove otherwise or that the 06 box outperforms the JWT. Just a lot hype till I see other wise.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

1 second of what? Temp? MAF voltage? Ign map differences?

Tony has the benefit of having been around alot of dyno pulls and alot of pulls done on the same car on the same day. Along with alot of other dyno pulls at various times.

Of course he could be incorrect. But I do value his opinion and defer to it until a comparison on the same scale shows otherise.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Well in your little exert he was referencing temperature, so thats what I was making my point too. I am still looking into doing a comparison here in the coming weeks.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Still havent' seen any good 3rd party to the contrary.
theres tons of dynos around here where the JWT pop charger replaced the stock airbox and made power over stock. But I havent seen 1 single dyno proving the otherwise. Am not doing the research for you...search...they are everywhere
Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Jeff92se

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Well in your little exert he was referencing temperature, so thats what I was making my point too. I am still looking into doing a comparison here in the coming weeks.
Correct, the main contention is temp. But high temp affects maf readings and ign timing.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Mr.Squeeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see this if you do it.I looked around before I got my pop charger and didnt find anything,so far I like the pop charger.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I'll be sure to post it up if it happens, but I am not going to pay for an 06 box. If can find one locally for a quick swap.....I'll do it. Also I am going to be switching to a 3" MAF here in the next week or so (may affect the desired results of the comparison).
Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
godmans

Mind you that heat soak issues (that affect ignition timing being pulled) are not usually reflected in dyno runs since people usually dyno with their hoods open.
Unless if you drive around with your hood open, the problem of heat soak will only showup in real driving situation but no on dynos..
Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by godmans
Mind you that heat soak issues (that affect ignition timing being pulled) are not usually reflected in dyno runs since people usually dyno with their hoods open.
Unless if you drive around with your hood open, the problem of heat soak will only showup in real driving situation but no on dynos..
Its been covered .
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Idio....t , LOL , Been covered.

Heatsoak is only a problem at standstill, its even a problem for people with stock intakes. No big deal, the best way to do away with it is a vented hood.

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-10-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

People still drive with hoods?

I took mine off when I first got my car, and have been driving without it ever since.

I needs mah maximum horsepowers!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Dave B

While I've never had a POP charger on my G, I have done experiments making the OEM intake like a POP charger by significantly opening up the airbox by removing the Powerduct cover and removing the over radiator snorkel. Removing these parts opens up the airbox by about 100% and makes the airbox far more open then the OEM 350z airbox.

I've datalogged with this setup and the underhood intake temps are alarming. On a 75 degree night with the OEM airbox, the intake temps are right around 10 degrees over ambient. Once accelerating the intake temps drop to near ambient after about 15 seconds and at speeds above 30mph.

When the modded airbox, the underhood intake temps spike to a massive 50 to 70 degrees over ambient after sitting for merely 20 seconds! It takes nearly 30 seconds to bring the intake temps down to ambient once rolling. Imagine the intake temps on a 90 degree day.

Here's the problem. You're loosing a lot power when your intake temps are so high. Sure, the underhood temps clear once you're rolling BUT if you're in a racing situation like at a drag strip, you're car is going to be down on a lot of power and during the duration of the run (14 seconds or less), the intake is going to be ingesting a lot of hot air. So basically, the POP setup will make you slower in the 1/4 mile.

As for POP chargers making power on these cars, show me a dyno other than a vendor dyno that showes these things making useful power. I have yet to see ONE dyno of a POP charger that makes more than 2-5whp at the very end of the rpm range. For those us that understand POWER UNDER THE CURVE, we know that gaining 2 to 5whp over the last 500rpms of the powerband does absolutely nothing for acceleration because the motor is only accelerating in that range for mere tenths of a second. A useful gain would be 10whp from 4000rpm to 6600rpms, not 5whp from 6100rpms to 6600rpms.

Last edited by Dave B; 04-11-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Dave B
While I've never had a POP charger on my G, I have done experiments making the OEM intake like a POP charger by significantly opening up the airbox by removing the Powerduct cover and removing the over radiator snorkel. Removing these parts opens up the airbox by about 100% and makes the airbox far more open then the OEM 350z airbox.

I've datalogged with this setup and the underhood intake temps are alarming. On a 75 degree night with the OEM airbox, the intake temps are right around 10 degrees over ambient. Once accelerating the intake temps drop to near ambient after about 15 seconds and at speeds above 30mph.

When the modded airbox, the underhood intake temps spike to a massive 50 to 70 degrees over ambient after sitting for merely 20 seconds! It takes nearly 30 seconds to bring the intake temps down to ambient once rolling. Imagine the intake temps on a 90 degree day.

Here's the problem. You're loosing a lot power when your intake temps are so high. Sure, the underhood temps clear once you're rolling BUT if you're in a racing situation like at a drag strip, you're car is going to be down on a lot of power and during the duration of the run (14 seconds or less), the intake is going to be ingesting a lot of hot air. So basically, the POP setup will make you slower in the 1/4 mile.

As for POP chargers making power on these cars, show me a dyno other than a vendor dyno that showes these things making useful power. I have yet to see ONE dyno of a POP charger that makes more than 2-5whp at the very end of the rpm range. For those us that understand POWER UNDER THE CURVE, we know that gaining 2 to 5whp over the last 500rpms of the powerband does absolutely nothing for acceleration because the motor is only accelerating in that range for mere tenths of a second. A useful gain would be 10whp from 4000rpm to 6600rpms, not 5whp from 6100rpms to 6600rpms.

Great writeup, i feel better about going back to OEM yesterday now!!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Well I decided to put up a WTB thread for an 06 box. I will bite the bullet for the masses to put the debate to rest. Hopefully someone will oblige me at a reasonable price and I can make this happen.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

06 box purchased......Stay tuned for results in the coming weeks. I am going to try and get some results (whether datalogs and/or dynos) prior to the installation of the 3" MAF. Hopefully we can put this arguement to rest.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Jeff92se

FWIW. I've run an oem non-rev up box, Stillen unit and the RU airbox. Also have run K&N panel, oem dirty and oem clean panel filters.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
black06z

Originally Posted by Spork
My popcharger told me you suck in bed.
It's not my fault your popcharger is too small. I tried.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

06 box purchased......Stay tuned for results in the coming weeks. I am going to try and get some results (whether datalogs and/or dynos) prior to the installation of the 3" MAF. Hopefully we can put this arguement to rest.
Awesome. I'm actually doing the same damn thing. My brother is in a completely different state with my 06 Airbox just sitting in his garage. I'm trying to get it back as soon as I can. Once I do, I'm taking my car to the dyno for comparison runs. I also have Uprev's Cipher, so I can monitor the intake air temperatures while driving, and I'll provide those too. However, I don't know how long it will take for me to get this whole thing up and running. I might not have that box back for another month.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by onagao
Awesome. I'm actually doing the same damn thing. My brother is in a completely different state with my 06 Airbox just sitting in his garage. I'm trying to get it back as soon as I can. Once I do, I'm taking my car to the dyno for comparison runs. I also have Uprev's Cipher, so I can monitor the intake air temperatures while driving, and I'll provide those too. However, I don't know how long it will take for me to get this whole thing up and running. I might not have that box back for another month.
Yea I have cipher as well. Hopefully in a month or so there will be two comparisons to put the issue to rest since it seems to be a "hot" issue of late.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
halfass872

Having the only FI setup available uses the fatory intake setup(Stillen SC), after three days of driving around with a 2006 airbox with K&N drop in. I can't tell a difference between the two. The only difference i can tell is the OEM box is quieter. I achieve boost just as fast, and cannot feel any butt dyno difference between my popcharger and the factory box. Even at WOT pulls where it would be most noticeable.

For heat soak sake, i realize a FI setup is going to be less prone since it's flowing alot more air through the filter faster, thus "cooling" it off back down to ambient quicker..........BUT as far as which flows better, it would definatly show up easier if one flowed significantly better then the other with a blower running at 12,000+ rpms!!

If there is a difference i'm not sensitive enough to notice. And my A/F meter, and boost gauge aren't shoing any differen't either. This being said, i'm sticking with the OEM box.

Last edited by halfass872; 04-12-2009 at 05:01 PM.