Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stock air filter vs. K&N

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
premedstudent1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock air filter vs. K&N

Hello, everyone, I have a 2003 MT. After searching this forum, I figured that it is better to install a high flow air filter instead putting in a pop charger because I really like how the factory air intake is set up, relatively away from the engine bay, thus sucking "less warmer" air. I went with K&N. But I felt that I am losing power especially under 3k RPM. I searched here and found out that I am not the only one with this low end decrease. So I bought a Fram air filter and installed it. wallah...the power is back at take off and even at high rpm's. Can someone explain this phenomena to me?
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I have no mods on my car, at least not yet
Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your thread title is misleading

perhaps you just had a dirty air filter
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have taken performance to a new level.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now if only FRAM made a turbo kit.
The following users liked this post:
2004Black350z (07-24-2021)
Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
bballgms

i am looking for a new drop in filter for max gains any suggestions??
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
nawgee

Originally Posted by premedstudent1
Hello, everyone, I have a 2003 MT. After searching this forum, I figured that it is better to install a high flow air filter instead putting in a pop charger because I really like how the factory air intake is set up, relatively away from the engine bay, thus sucking "less warmer" air. I went with K&N. But I felt that I am losing power especially under 3k RPM. I searched here and found out that I am not the only one with this low end decrease. So I bought a Fram air filter and installed it. wallah...the power is back at take off and even at high rpm's. Can someone explain this phenomena to me?
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I have no mods on my car, at least not yet
so are you asking why the fram filter works better than the K&N?

I think it was already said, but I doubt your seeing an "increase" in performance. I think your basically replacing an already bad filter
Old 04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
mclovin.too

Originally Posted by Spork
Now if only FRAM made a turbo kit.
I have not given up. I have been in talk with a Fram sales rep I met at Wal Mart. Stay tuned for updates.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
your thread title is misleading

perhaps you just had a dirty air filter
both K&N and Fram are new out of the box.

Last edited by premedstudent1; 04-30-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by nawgee
so are you asking why the fram filter works better than the K&N?

I think it was already said, but I doubt your seeing an "increase" in performance. I think your basically replacing an already bad filter
well, I did replace the old stock filter (regular not high flow) with K&N first, but I felt that I was losing power at the low end (more like hallow rpm with no real pick). Then replaced K&N with Fram which is not high flow and it feels better with no hallow rpm's.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:34 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by mclovin.too
I have not given up. I have been in talk with a Fram sales rep I met at Wal Mart. Stay tuned for updates.
First, I don't shop at Walmart. Second, I know that Fram is one of the cheapest and lowest quality auto parts that you can get and I never used it on any of my cars. But in this case when I went to NAPA, I was looking for anything other than a high flow air filter to see if it makes a difference since K&N lead to me losing pick up or torque as I explained in my original post. Fram was the only one that location had on hand so I got it. Surprisingly enough I felt the difference.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
mclovin.too

Originally Posted by premedstudent1
First, I don't shop at Walmart. Second, I know that Fram is one of the cheapest and lowest quality auto parts that you can get and I never used it on any of my cars. But in this case when I went to NAPA, I was looking for anything other than a high flow air filter to see if it makes a difference since K&N lead to me losing pick up or torque as I explained in my original post. Fram was the only one that location had on hand so I got it. Surprisingly enough I felt the difference.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
bballgms

i want to go and change my dirty filter 2morow and i was set on getting the KN one but does it make you lose power?? im getting confused.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by bballgms
i want to go and change my dirty filter 2morow and i was set on getting the KN one but does it make you lose power?? im getting confused.
I did not dyno my car with the K&N filter nor with Fram, so I can not misguide you and tell you that there is a loss of hp. But there is a NOTICEABLE difference in pickup or torque. When I floor my accelerator, I don't feel the same pick I get with the regular air filter like Fram or STP. Now I am not saying that these two brands are particularly better that K&N, all I am saying that MY CAR runs better on them.
As you know every Z is different from its twin so it could just be my car. However, I have read threads with the same complaints here and on other forums. And the reason why I started this one was to find out what this occurrence is due to since we should be noticing an opposite trend.
My advice to you if you are really in need of a new air filter and not sure what to get, is to buy a Fram or STP which run about(depending on where you live and the store) $9.99 and $8.99, respectively, until you do more research on this instead of spending the $50 on the K&N and end up taking it out, replacing it with a cheap one just like I did. And if you end up getting the K&N after all, it would be a good idea to have that extra regular filter when it comes time to cleaning and oiling your K&N ( you don't want to run on a wet or an over oiled filter) so it is a win win situation.
Hope that helped.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you installed the K&N filter, did you reset the ecu?

Any time you're doing something to the engine that can affect things... unhook the battery, then hook it back up when you're done.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:48 PM
foreveryoung

I think the KN is actually filtering and the Fram POS isn't.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by Spork
When you installed the K&N filter, did you reset the ecu?

Any time you're doing something to the engine that can affect things... unhook the battery, then hook it back up when you're done.
I reset the ICU via battery and accelerator techniques.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
premedstudent1

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
I think the KN is actually filtering and the Fram POS isn't.
Not sure what you mean! If it has anything to do with filtering and the amount of air being sucked in, I would say that Fram has more restrictions and smaller holes within its material and the opposite goes for K&N, that is according to their specs on the box and their web sites. Which means that Fram does more filtering and restricts more air.
Now claiming that the K&N filters as well as any other filter is kind of hard to believe. No matter what scientific or technical terms "they" use to describe the material and the filtration process. But common sense wins here. High flow means less restrictions, which means less filtration. A thin film is not going to block a sand particle being sucked in at god know what speed when I put my metal to the pedal.
By the way, I am trying to put this theory to test and design a controlled experiment by measuring how much dust, dirt and the like is being trapped by both filters after driving the same length of time under the same conditions (like temperature and pollution) assuming that I start out with two clean new filters; K&N and a regular flow filter (Fram of STP). There are a couple of ways, that I have thought of to measure this. I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by premedstudent1; 05-01-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Xlr82x

I have used K&N filters since I have been driving and they should open your engines breathing. I bet if anything, it is your box/filter combo. Others on here have mentioned to ditch the 03 filter box and get an 06, why that is I have no idea. Can say that you will not feel a performance gain out of changing a filter unless the old filter is 100% clogged up...
Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 AM
halfass872

+1 on OEM airbox!!!

I'm running the Amsoil drop in. The butt dyno says it's equal to my K&N drop in. But it filters better, and it's a DRY re-useable media. Vice an oil K&N with holes in it (Hold it up to the light, you'll see what i mean).

I don't normally get caught up in the Amsoil "religion". But it came with my 2006 airbox that i bought off here from a member. And i'm very please with it. Both performance and quality!!

My 2 cents.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
ajcool2

Thanks for the info but Im sticking with my K&N.

Quick Reply: Stock air filter vs. K&N