Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Bassani VS MD Shockwave VS MD TDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
350zDex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont waste ur money on bassani, anything motordyne ftw!!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
pizzato16

Originally Posted by 350zDex
I beg to differ. Installed my bassani TD yesterday and love it! Some people have diff tastes with sounds though.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Have you heard the dual shockwave in person?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think you are compariing two different setups. I think motordyne is great and well engineered and will probably provide you with better gains, while being louder. bassani will sound a little quieter, but deeper, and look a little better.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
pizzato16

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
^ Have you heard the dual shockwave in person?
I have not actually. Ive heard and HKS with stillen HFC and a Borla.
I paid 960 brand new installed for my Bassani. Also, where I am (So. San Diego) Cops will get ya with a loud exhaust. If the MD is as loud as everyone says they are. Not baggin, just biased with mine thats all. If ya lived in Cali id go check it out on your ride, but...
Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
SexyRob

Originally Posted by 350zDex
how is bassani wasting your money? similar setups will do the same on the dyno and its just different sound left at that point. I'd say for the price bassani is a great exhaust for all you get. Not hating on motordyne, love their stuff.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 AM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by pizzato16
I have not actually. Ive heard and HKS with stillen HFC and a Borla.
I paid 960 brand new installed for my Bassani. Also, where I am (So. San Diego) Cops will get ya with a loud exhaust. If the MD is as loud as everyone says they are. Not baggin, just biased with mine thats all. If ya lived in Cali id go check it out on your ride, but...
Its no doubt a loud exhaust, but you have so many options to keep it quieter if that is your choice. Such as adding canisters on the back, adding a cat or resonator on the y pipe. Mine is loud because I have no canisters and one resonator on the y pipe along with the muffler on the mid pipe. I have heard both and the bassani is a great sounding exhaust, just way too quiet. Plus I have heard many negative comments on quality and such, even a local here has had problems with his. But if your area is strict on anything louder than stock, then the Bassani would be the way to go IMO.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by Entaille
I think you are compariing two different setups. I think motordyne is great and well engineered and will probably provide you with better gains, while being louder. bassani will sound a little quieter, but deeper, and look a little better.
Please refer to the first post.

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...al-setups.html
Old 07-01-2009, 11:57 AM
pizzato16

Its no doubt a loud exhaust, but you have so many options to keep it quieter if that is your choice. Such as adding canisters on the back, adding a cat or resonator on the y pipe. Mine is loud because I have no canisters and one resonator on the y pipe along with the muffler on the mid pipe. I have heard both and the bassani is a great sounding exhaust, just way too quiet. Plus I have heard many negative comments on quality and such, even a local here has had problems with his. But if your area is strict on anything louder than stock, then the Bassani would be the way to go IMO.
If ya dont mind me asking, What kinda problems have people encountered?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by pizzato16
If ya dont mind me asking, What kinda problems have people encountered?
Mostly fitment issues.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
pizzato16

Mostly fitment issues.
i will agree there! I had it put on yesterday, drove about 200 miles an started hearing a banging noise. Come to find out it was the right tail pipe hitting the strut. Had it fixed today though and no problems.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Entaille

do the tips look great? for sure. does the piping look great? absolutely.

does it look odd, out of place? straight pipes .. looks terrible to me.

all opinion, of course.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
SexyRob

only fitment issue I've heard of is with one of the strait pipes that goes over the rear sway bar, fixing it means rotating the pipe a little. this inst a problem if its installed correctly.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
alex dds

Apologize to pull an old thread up, but these are the two exhausts im debating between! Any others have experience with them?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Entaille

just had my bassani installed a couple of days ago and I am very happy with it. the tone is great, loud when I want it to be, and pleasantly mild while cruising.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Toby-22

If your going by sound, u can't hate on either exhaust. Both sound pretty similar with the bassani being quieter and motordyne being louder. Looks wise bassani is more oem while the motordyne is more on the aggressive side. Again it all comes down to taste.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own the shockwave as well as the gamma and for my personal taste I think the shockwave is too loud. The gamma is a lot more civil and is much better suited for DD. I've also heard the bassani and it somewhat reminds me of the Nismo but slightly deeper. Concerning the TDX, IIRC Tony mentioned it is louder then the Shockwave. In regards to craftsmanship the MD is superior but will also cost a little more. Below is my car with 3 resonators and 3 mufflers, gamma exhaust btw.

Last edited by gabe3d; 07-13-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can always go quieter on the MD exhaust system with the VQ muffler (quieter than the gamma). While the TDX version of the VQ muffler doesn't yet exist, I'm hopeful it will be available soon, so there'll be a quiet bolt up option for us with FI also.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-13-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by klaze1
I am in the market for an exhaust right now, and I am looking for the best performing while having a good sound as well. If I could afford it id go with the Amuse R1 or ARC but uhh yeah. So id like to get a few opinions on the exhausts I have narrowed it down to, also if anyone has some other types of exhausts to suggest im open to it.. other than that I wanna see what you guys have to say about it. I will be purchasing the Injen CAI's and some TP's / hfc's at the same time if it makes any difference.

EDIT: I will not be going turbo anytime soon.
Motordyne has no ETA on the shockwave TDX system right now. I have been waiting since March for it and gave up. Per Tony, you really gain nothing on a N/A car going to the TDX from the regular dual. Now if you are FI then you will gain some. I went ahead and ordered his dual shockwave setup and when I am ready for FI I will just switch out the midpipe.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Motordyne has no ETA on the shockwave TDX system right now. I have been waiting since March for it and gave up. Per Tony, you really gain nothing on a N/A car going to the TDX from the regular dual. Now if you are FI then you will gain some. I went ahead and ordered his dual shockwave setup and when I am ready for FI I will just switch out the midpipe.
Also to add, I will be taking before and after videos of it.

Motordyne Dual Shockwave with Resonator on ypipe and Berk HFCs. Basically the same setup Rob has. So it should sound the same. But it's always good to have comparison videos with different cameras too. Install is planned for this Saturday if I receive it.

Quick Reply: Bassani VS MD Shockwave VS MD TDX