Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Test Pipes Recently Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
abo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Pipes Recently Installed

Just purchased test pipes from autogrimmig. They are located in La Puente, Ca. Their website has the test pipes listed for $99.99 with free ship but they offered me $85 for local pick up NIB.

The install was fairly simply. The two bolts that connect the headers to the cat were a little hard to get too. Luckily my friend works for Audi and had a lot of extensions. We had to move the intake piping out of the way to get through the engine bay for the two bolts holding the drivers side cat. The passanger side we could just reach it with the extensions without moving anything. What was a little annoying was the bolts were really hard to break specially since we had little room to work with since the car was only raised onto ramps. Once all the bolts are taken off the cat (3 to the headers, 2 to the y-pipe) I removed the brace that holds the cat. Then i just had to jiggle the cat out.

The test pipes bolted up pretty easy just had to do everything in reverse. Expect to have 2 extra bolts after the install. You reuse one of the studs from the headers. I plan on putting the brace back into place as soon as I can make a bracket for the test pipes.

As far as the O2 sensors go, I decided to leave the O2 sensors out for now. On saturday I plan on trying to use the 02 sensor -> help non-fouler drilled 1/2" -> help non-fouler -> test pipe trick. Hopefully I don't get a CEL/SES. I've heard that 06 have a wideband which is a little harder to get around. I'm affraid of messing up the threads on the O2 Sensors. So I'm going to use some deep creep or wd40 to help take out.

The test pipes are non-resonated, but I like the sound a lot better compared to the stock set up. The smell, smells like your at a gas station all the time. The smoke in the morning makes me glad I live on a caldesac vs. a main street.

Over all I think the test pipes was a pretty good bang for my buck mod. I'm not sure exactly sure what gains i'm getting but if anything it does feel like it has a little less restriction, and i'm satisfied with the sound.

-abo
Old 08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
lasvegas350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up...did you "feel" a difference in the butt dyno?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM
abo

Originally Posted by lasvegas350z
nice write up...did you "feel" a difference in the butt dyno?
it might just be in my head or the sounds of the thing, but it does feel a slight bit faster. i don't know if you have this installed or know someone who does. the low ends seem to sound the same just a bit louder. as you get around 3k+ rpms it starts to scream at you. it does have a rasp at higher rpms. but i've been used to stock so i kind of enjoy it.

when you start the car it has a little bit harder rev to it.

if anyone needs pictures because they have concerns on doing this mod. please let me know. i'll be check the test pipes a couple more times in the next couple of weeks to check for any problems or cracks. the test pipes are covered with replacement for two weeks. so i just want to make sure there aren't any problems.

i have one video my friend took on his iphone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03WVNetxW4

excuse me for speeding down a residential. the cop on the other side of the street gave me a reality check. luckily no ticket.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good write up!

Test pipes certaintly aren't legal. They're loud, raspy and smelly.
They aren't for everybody but they work well and are a great bang for the buck.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
abo

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Good write up!

Test pipes certaintly aren't legal. They're loud, raspy and smelly.
They aren't for everybody but they work well and are a great bang for the buck.
Thanks. Whats funny, is that i've always been into driving but i've only recently started to work on cars. I found out tests pipes get hot really fast the hard way. =(