Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Resonator delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Persians07350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator delete

Has anybody deleted there resonator on there stock Z exhaust? I did mine the other day but im not sure if i like it. is it possible to lose power from deleting the resonator?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 AM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by Persians07350
Has anybody deleted there resonator on there stock Z exhaust? I did mine the other day but im not sure if i like it. is it possible to lose power from deleting the resonator?
Save up and buy a legit exhaust.. youll be much happier with yourself
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
WhiteNoiz

++1
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
neox

yes you loose power removing the resonator/turbo muffler. I remember reading a post not too long ago about a guy that loved the raspy sound at first but a week later put it back on because of the loss of power due to loss of backpressure I believe.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Persians07350

yea i think i lost power by deleting the resonator. its goin back on friday
Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
jasabeast

Where you expecting it to be alot louder? Caus eto me when ppl do that chit sounds raspy as hell
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

nah delete muffler, keep resonator. sounds GREAT. if you search on this site, you can find videos of it
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 AM
pikez35

I have my resonator delete and i love it. plus stock muffler is gutted. I finally found out how to hack my iphone and ssh the videos on it off cycorder will get some video or soundclips tomarrow asap. As far as power i really didn't notice a difference if anything i think more flow is better. engines hate back pressure its velocity you want, which is how fast it can get out. Forget the aftermarket exhaust just get boosted and push more air threw it.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:11 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by pikez35
I have my resonator delete and i love it. plus stock muffler is gutted. I finally found out how to hack my iphone and ssh the videos on it off cycorder will get some video or soundclips tomarrow asap. As far as power i really didn't notice a difference if anything i think more flow is better. engines hate back pressure its velocity you want, which is how fast it can get out. Forget the aftermarket exhaust just get boosted and push more air threw it.
Just a heads up for the OP. I read somewhere on here where someone had taken off the muffler, ran it for a while and was liking the sound. Then noticed that the exhuast was being directed at the plastic fender well, and started melting it.

Regarding the post above, its called exhaust scavenging, and its a little more complicated than that....

http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=45090

Much controversy (and apparent confusion) surrounds the issue of exhaust "back-pressure". Many performance-minded people who are otherwise knowledgeable still cling tenaciously to the old school concept.... "You need more back-pressure for better performance."

For virtually all high performance purposes, backpressure in an exhaust system increases engine-pumping losses and decreases available engine power. It is true that some engines are mechanically tuned to "X" amount of backpressure and can show a loss of low-end torque when that backpressure is reduced. It is also true that the same engine that lost low-end torque with reduced back-pressure can be mechanically re-tuned to show an increase of low-end torque with the same reduction of back-pressure. More importantly, maximum mid-to-high RPM power will be achieved with the lowest possible backpressure. Period!

The objective of most engine modifications is to maximize the proper air and fuel flow into, and exhaust flow out of the engine. The inflow of an air/fuel mixture is a separate issue, but it is directly influenced by exhaust flow, particularly during valve overlap (when both valves are open for "X" degrees of crankshaft rotation). Gasoline requires oxygen to burn. By volume, dry, ambient air at sea level contains about 21% oxygen, 78% Nitrogen and trace amounts of Argon, CO2 and other gases. Since oxygen is only about 1/5 of air’s volume, an engine must intake 5 times more air than oxygen to get the oxygen it needs to support the combustion of fuel. If we introduce an oxygen-bearing additive such as nitrous oxide, or use an oxygen-bearing fuel such as nitromethane, we can make much more power from the same displacement because both additives bring more oxygen to the combustion chamber to support the combustion of more fuel. If we add a supercharger or turbocharger, we get more power for the same reason…. more oxygen is forced into the combustion chamber.

Theoretically, in a normally aspirated state of tune without fuel or oxygen-rich additives, an engine’s maximum power potential is directly proportional with the volume of air it flows. This means that an engine of 80 cubic inches has the same maximum power potential as an engine of 100 cubic inches, if they both flow the same volume of air. In this example, the powerband characteristics of the two engines will be quite different but the peak attainable power is essentially the same.

Flow Volume & Flow Velocity
One of the biggest issues with exhaust systems, is the relationship between gas flow volume and gas flow velocity (which also applies to the intake track). An engine needs the highest flow velocity possible for quick throttle response and torque throughout the low-to-mid range portion of the power band. The same engine also needs the highest flow volume possible throughout the mid-to-high range portion of the powerband for maximum performance. This is where a fundamental conflict arises. For "X" amount of exhaust pressure at an exhaust valve, a smaller diameter exhaust pipe will provide higher flow velocity than a larger diameter pipe. Unfortunately, the laws of physics will not allow that same small diameter pipe to flow sufficient volume to realize maximum possible power at higher RPM. If we install a larger diameter pipe, we will have enough flow volume for maximum power at mid-to-high RPM, but the flow velocity will decrease and low-to-mid range throttle response and torque will suffer. This is the primary paradox of exhaust flow dynamics and the solution is usually a design compromise that produces an acceptable amount of throttle response, torque and horsepower across the entire powerband.

A very common mistake made by some performance people is the selection of an exhaust system with pipes that are too large in diameter for their engine's state of tune. Bigger is not necessarily better and is often worse.

Equal Length Exhaust
The effectiveness of equal length exhaust is widely debated. Assuming that an exhaust system is otherwise properly designed, equal length pipes offer some benefits that are not present with unequal length pipes. These benefits are smoother engine operation, tuning simplicity and increased low-to-mid range torque.

If the pipes are not equal length, both inertial scavenging and wave scavenging will vary among engine cylinders, often dramatically. This, in turn, causes different tuning requirements for different cylinders. These variations affect air/fuel mixtures and timing requirements, and can make it very difficult to achieve optimal tuning. Equal length pipes eliminate these exhaust-induced difficulties. "Tuning", in the context used here, does not mean installing new sparkplugs and an air filter. It means configuring a combination of mechanical components to maximum efficiency for a specific purpose and it can not be overemphasized that such tuning is the path to superior performance with a combination of parts that must work together in a complimentary manner.

In an exhaust system that is properly designed for it’s application, equal length pipes are generally more efficient. The lengths of both the primary and main section of pipes strongly influence the location of the torque peak(s) within the powerband. In street and track performance engines with longer pipes typically produce more low-to-mid range torque than shorter pipes and it is torque that moves a motorcycle. The question is... Where in the powerband do you want to maximize the torque?
Longer pipes tend to increase power below the engine’s torque peak and shorter pipes tend to increase power above the torque peak.
Large diameter pipes tend to limit low-range power and increase high range power.
Small diameter pipes tend to increase low-range power and to some degree limit high-range power.
"Balance" or "equalizer" chambers between the exhaust pipes tend to flatten the torque peak(s) and widen the powerband.
Among the more astute and responsible exhaust builders, it is more-or-less understood that pipe length variations should not exceed 1" to be considered equal. Even this standard can result in a 2" difference if one pipe is an inch short and another pipe is an inch long.

Exhaust Scavenging and Energy Waves
Inertial scavenging and wave scavenging are different phenomena but both impact exhaust system efficiency and affect one another. Scavenging is simply gas extraction. These two scavenging effects are directly influenced by pipe diameter, length, shape and the thermal properties of the pipe material (stainless, mild steel, thermal coatings, etc.). When the exhaust valve opens, two things immediately happen. An energy wave, or pulse, is created from the rapidly expanding combustion gases. The wave enters the exhaust pipe traveling outward at a nominal speed of 1,300 - 1,700 feet per second (this speed varies depending on engine design, modifications, etc., and is therefore stated as a "nominal" velocity). This wave is pure energy, similar to a shock wave from an explosion. Simultaneous with the energy wave, the spent combustion gases also enter the exhaust pipe and travel outward more slowly at 150 - 300 feet per second nominal (maximum power is usually made with gas velocities between 240 and 300 feet per second). Since the energy wave is moving about 5 times faster than the exhaust gases, it will get where it is going faster than the gases. When the outbound energy wave encounters a lower pressure area such as a second or larger diameter section of pipe, the muffler or the ambient atmosphere, a reversion wave (a reversed or mirrored wave) is reflected back toward the exhaust valve without significant loss of velocity.

The reversion wave moves back toward the exhaust valve on a collision course with the exiting gases whereupon they pass through one another, with some energy loss and turbulence, and continue in their respective directions. What happens when that reversion wave arrives at the exhaust valve depends on whether the valve is still open or closed. This is a critical moment in the exhaust cycle because the reversion wave can be beneficial or detrimental to exhaust flow, depending upon its arrival time at the exhaust valve. If the exhaust valve is closed when the reversion wave arrives, the wave is again reflected toward the exhaust outlet and eventually dissipates its energy in this back and forth motion. If the exhaust valve is open when the wave arrives, its effect upon exhaust gas flow depends on which part of the wave is hitting the open exhaust valve.
... and the article continues

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 10-01-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Persians07350

yea im deff putting the resonator back on! its not the sound i want coming out of a Z
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
pikez35

hey if you want a good idea how mine sounds i posted some videos on you tube and on my thread. I think it sounds awesome. i think you would be making a big mistake putting it back on. resonators are for old people! lol!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Persians07350

lol alright ill go check it out. i ran an 04 Z the other night and he siad my car sounded really good
Old 10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
jasabeast

dont listen to them... go buy a aftermarket exhaust