Independent Review: Motordyne ART Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Independent Review: Motordyne ART Pipes

THE BASICS
The Car:
2006 Nissan 350Z (6MT w/ VQ35DE RevUp Engine)

The Mods:
- K&N Drop-In Filter
- Motordyne 5/16" Isothermal Spacer
- Motordyne MREV 2
- Stillen Stainless Steel Headers
- Stillen High Flow Cats
- Stillen True Dual Exhaust
- Dyno Tune at Uprev

The New Mod:
Replacing my Stillen HFCs are the brand new Motordyne Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART) Pipes.

THE EXPERIENCE
Purchasing:
I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about my purchasing experience with Motordyne. I was treated very kindly and professionally. They answered any and all questions I had and were very eager to make things easy. Spending $600+ is rarely this enjoyable.

The Product:
The package was sent off the following day (Friday). They emailed and called to inform me that it had gone out. The box arrived the following Tuesday, packaged carefully and looking very pretty.

The pipes themselves were very well crafted, beautifully polished, and with a very high quality welding job.

And now for the good stuff...

TESTING DAY
I took my car to Humble Performance here in Tulsa, OK to have both dynos performed. Failsafe Performance, where I was going to have the new pipes installed, is less than half a mile down the road, making for a reliable install+dyno arrangement second only to having an in-house dyno. Given that Chris (Failsafe) knows what he's doing with the VQ platform and the guys at Humble focus more on Hondas, Acuras, and the like, I insisted on leaving the installation to him.
The "Before" Dyno:
This was an interesting thing, and I was less than pleased with what happened here. After the first 3 pulls, my car - which was dyno'd at 270+ at Uprev before I had my Stillen headers installed - was only putting down 251whp and 234wtq on Humble's Dynojet. Naturally, I was concerned. Either I had lost power back when I put on my headers (which it certainly didn't feel like), it was just a different dyno, or there was something wrong with my car.

As it turns out, and I didn't find out until after I came back for the "after" dyno, the goofball behind the wheel during my first pulls at Humble had the car in 3rd.

Yes, 3rd.

Now before you start shouting into your computer screen how dumb I am for letting them do this, I should stop you - I actually asked them which gear. I knew that 5th was 1:1, but I asked to make sure they were going with 4th because it's easier on the engine. After all, as long as the before and after dynos are in the same gear, the recorded gains should still be accurate.

Either way, they did the pulls in 3rd, and I was upset. But at least it explains the abnormally low numbers. So for the sake of the comparison, please try to focus on the gains, and not the peak numbers. After all, that's the whole point of this dyno comparison. It's still good data.

[video of this dyno will have to wait, as it's on the shop camera right now]

The Installation:

With the ART Pipes directly replacing my Stillen High Flow cats, the installation was very simple, with the only issues encountered being preexisting ones due to my Stillen exhaust and some of its own imperfections (and lack of flex pipes). Chris did a fantastic job once again, and everything fit perfectly. My only concerns are with the location of the ART Pipes' Helmoltz resonators and their proximity to a lingering screw from the stock heat shield. There's about an inch of clearance, but I do worry about jostling or movement of the pipes. It shouldn't be an issue with that much clearance, but if you're worried, you might consider trimming the screws down just in case (something I might go back and do).

Before / After

Once it was installed, and you can see this in the pictures... it's just gorgeous. The look might not be for everyone, but I think it looks just plain sick. It almost makes me wish they were more visible so that they could be more readily appreciated. Regardless, the ART Pipes presented no fitment issues.

The "After" Dyno:

After taking the car back to Humble... and finding out that we needed to be in 3rd gear ... Chris hopped behind the wheel and I sat in the passenger seat with my laptop and Cipher running so I could get some good datalogs for an eTune.

We put down four runs in 3rd gear. One of them had some abnormalities, but the others were consistent - 260whp and 239wtq with very solid gains throughout the entire range. I gained power at every single point, and the numbers were completely in line with the ones initially presented by Tony at Motordyne.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpMkE6GM7o

THE RESULTS
Before/After Dyno Chart:

I can sit here and give you some grand explanation of what is clearly visible, but I'll try not to. The dyno charts speak for themselves. However, since I don't have the means to give you a fancy-pants delta gains chart like Tony did in his announcement thread, I'll give you a breakdown like this:

RPM - Gain
2500: +3.5whp, +7wtq
3000: +8whp, +14wtq
3500: +5whp, +8wtq
4000: +4whp, +5wtq
4500: +4whp, +5wtq
5000: +5whp, +5wtq
5500: +8whp, +8wtq
6000: +10whp, +8wtq
6500: +6whp, + 4wtq
7000: +7whp, +5wtq

Again, these numbers are in 3rd gear, and this is for comparative purposes, so it is the gains that matter. As you can see, this was SOLID improvement throughout the entire band of performance. And yes, I can definitely feel it. The most amazing part about this, though, is not even the gains. Those alone are fantastic, especially that low-end torque I picked up (+23 ft-lbs at 2800rpm!). What I am so thoroughly impressed by is that this is a simple bolt-on modification replacing another bolt-on modification. So many companies out there cite huge gains for their test pipes, high flow cats, and what not. Those gains are cited over stock catalytic converters, and are all too often exaggerated. These are solid gains on a car that already had full-bolt ons and a tune. Furthermore, the improvement falls in line with what Tony has shown from his own tests. Now, we have an independent test that confirms them.

Before/After Sound Clips:
As far as difference in the sound, there is a distinct difference, although it isn't too pronounced. On a car with fewer modifications, I would imagine the difference would be more noticeable. As it is, I can say this much. The drone at low RPMS that I incurred after installing my Stillen headers is all but gone. The rasp is transformed into something ... different. It's almost not rasp anymore. At the very least, the car doesn't seem as eager to turn from Jekyll to Hyde at 3300rpm anymore (where the raspiness would kick in). In terms of volume, it almost seems a little quieter with the ART Pipes than it did with my Stillen HFCs. This says a lot, since the transition to straight pipes normally adds rasp, volume, and noise.

Also, a lot of the noise in the exhaust has been mellowed out; it sounds more harmonically refined and less chaotically aggressive. Chris (Failsafe) said that where there was once a distinct rasp to my car, there isn't anymore. My wife also commented on how it sounds 1) deeper and 2) like it has a high harmonic note under full throttle (which she likes).

Also, something really cool that I didn't notice until I made the video below, is that the car has picked up a very new note that you can hear during the last flyby at the very end. Listen between the gear shifts for everything to clear up so you can pick it out, and you can hear this very, very deep note. I had no idea it was even there, but I love it.

As I just installed these yesterday, I am still trying to figure out the differences of the sound, so my descriptions are not going to be perfect. Unfortunately, as well, the video below doesn't entirely capture the difference either. So I'm giving you my best assessment at this moment in time. The sound difference from one exhaust to another is undoubtedly going to vary tremendously, and I'm really, really looking forward to hear how it sounds on other exhaust setups. I doubt it will be anything short of awesome.
Motordyne has already established itself as one of the very best aftermarket companies for our VQ platform, and they haven't slipped up with this one. Whether it's the customer service, the professional attitude, or the great products he develops, Tony stands at the top with the best in the business.

From start to finish, this has been a great buying and modding experience (except for that 3rd gear thing at Humble ). The claimed numbers with regard to the gains I would get back with my MREV2 and Spacer were spot-on, and they were correct again with regard to the gains from the Advanced Resonance Tuning Pipes. I can now confirm that the performance increase from Motordyne's ART Pipes is real and noticeable.

I'm very happy to be able to write this up and shed some light on my experience for you guys. Hopefully, you'll find this to be thorough and truthful, and you'll be able to take something useful from it. I imagine this is going to be but the first of many positive reviews from yet another great Motordyne product.
All the best,
Naga
The following users liked this post:
PiPPiNiZED (11-19-2015)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
DB350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up

Looks like the next big thing for our cars
Old 02-20-2010, 02:38 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for your review on the newest MD product.

BTW, are these numbers corrected?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:41 PM
plumpzz

Very nice. Looks like good use of engineering on a very common performance application. I may look into getting these to match my MD Y pipe once I get headers.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well... im impressed! I can't hear any changes in sound from the video clips but the gains are amazing... wish you could have gotten a 1:1 ratio dyno though but its all good.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:53 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Thanks for your review on the newest MD product.

BTW, are these numbers corrected?
Yes - STD Correction. SAE numbers are very similar.

Example at Peak
STD Correction: +8.83whp, +4.86wtq

SAE Correction: +8.6 whp, +4.73wtq

Unfortunately, I would have gone over the character limit if I had included both. I'll see if I can attach both .drf files somehow.

Last edited by onagao; 02-20-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome write up man. How about the driving impressions with the improved torque?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by rich2342
Awesome write up man. How about the driving impressions with the improved torque?
Definitely a noticeable difference in how much harder it pulls, and the butt dyno isn't lying this time
Old 02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, why couldn't they have dynoed in 5th after the initial pull in 3rd?

They only gave two pulls?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
onagao

Originally Posted by rich2342
Oh, why couldn't they have dynoed in 5th after the initial pull in 3rd?

They only gave two pulls?
They gave more than one pull, but there were irregularities in the most of the other graphs (spikes, cut-offs, etc.) that made these the best two to overlay. In the end, the numbers were consistent, though, so these are still reliable. As far as pulling in 5th, we wanted to make sure we got good reference numbers. Before this, I had never dyno'd at Humble, so any numbers I got in 5th wouldn't have meant much of anything to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
tylerxfire

good write up..i dont hear much of a difference from the video..little too much rasp for my taste..good gains though..
Old 02-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Swimminggerman

i hear the deeper sound in the end. sounds good. i like it. guess ill have to pick up a pair.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the awesome write up Naga! Great music selection and even better editing.

And thanks for pointing out the stud. I forgot to mention that earlier.
For those of you who havn't installed it yet, see the stud circled in red below. It a ~1/8" diameter stud that hangs down about an inch.

Trim the stud flush to the nut. This will keep it from touching the side branch Helmoltz resonator. You can use a cut off wheel, heavy wire cutter or dremel to trim it off.

Name:  CutStud.png
Views: 6885
Size:  335.3 KB

Thank you!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Get_Zwole

Nice review man glad to hear Failsafe did a good job i hope to be going up there to meet Chris and spend some money sometime soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM
brandon3434

WOW man, great write up! And Thousand Foot Krutch...Good music!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:05 PM
murders

awesome cant wait to get mine dyno'd on march the 6th at a nissan meet.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are too pretty to hide under the car.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Wow! Thanks for the awesome write up Naga! Great music selection and even better editing.

And thanks for pointing out the stud. I forgot to mention that earlier.
For those of you who havn't installed it yet, see the stud circled in red below. It a ~1/8" diameter stud that hangs down about an inch.

Trim the stud flush to the nut. This will keep it from touching the side branch Helmoltz resonator. You can use a cut off wheel, heavy wire cutter or dremel to trim it off.

Thank you!
Do you also need to trim it for the G Coupe?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure it is.

Quick Reply: Independent Review: Motordyne ART Pipes