Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
mistanismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
wow i dont even see any lube so it must have hurt when they screwed you over.
What the hell are you talking about?

That looks like a clean dyno room, minus the lack of fans etc, but it could be before setup as well.

So a shop has to have crap lying around in order to be reputable?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
phvin

Actually the fan is a ducted system that blows out of the wall, good for speed up to 160kph. In fact the entire workshop is spotless - could eat off the floor....
Attached Thumbnails Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.-350z_4.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by mistanismo
What the hell are you talking about?

That looks like a clean dyno room, minus the lack of fans etc, but it could be before setup as well.

So a shop has to have crap lying around in order to be reputable?
Lube as in getting fuked in the *** lube, got it now? Need to spell it out more?
AUD600 installation and testing.

Last edited by Get_Zwole; 02-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
phvin

Yeah, AUD600 is alot of money...but guys remember here on this big island we pay a sh&t load for for the same stuff you get rather cheaply. Prime example a 350z costs nearly double here compared to what you guys pay in the states....
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^truth. you guys keep thinking american.

also: i am a retard and thought this was for a 350z de or revup engine, didn't realize it was the dual intake engine HR. those get more gains from intake swaps.

still 20hp? ehhhhh not buying it. but just wanted to clarify.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by phvin
Yip, I thought I would take alot of flack spilling the beans as I did - and yes, to be honest I do feel like a complete ****. If I knew the cost would spiral like it did then there is no f*cking way I would have even thought about it.

But this is how it went: $595 for the CAI, $389 for the V1 spoiler, $415 for the postage. Now I told perfoemnace nissan to please ship as cheaply as possible. This meant instead of handing it to DHL for door delivery they sent it via customs - without my knowelege. Now that it ended up in customs it needed a clearance certificate, and companies charge for that service; plus the shipping service ended in Sydney. So that was another $300 to get the certificate. If I wanted it posted up to where I live another $200.

I contacted a Sydney dyno and service centre (a good one) and they quoted me $400 to dyno run and fit, so seeing I was looking at $200 just to get the parts up to me, it didnt seem like such a bad idea to go down to Syd and get it all done.

So I drive 450km the weekend, hand the car in, and get a phone call 2 hours later; sorry its a bigger job than they thought and is going to cost $600. Now I've already driven 450km to get the job done if I tell them no, I still have to drive back and somehow fit the CAI and spolier in my boot. Between a rock and a hard place?

So thats the tail of woe. It started small and ballooned insanely and looking back on it, would I do it again, **** no.

On the research; I spent a good few weeks researching what I could find on these claims and found nothing about the GEn3, except for someone (on this forum in fact) claiming it had worked as advertised. Also Stillen's page says nothing about having to tune or wait for the ECU to recongize the changes; and anyway from what I can tell this isnt the case; ECU's dont learn over time, they in fact revert back to standard (apparently some people disconnect to prevent this happening every few weeks or so). I am/could/most likely am wrong about this, but thats what I found, so anyone who can give me the right infol; thanks.

Incidently TuneHouse said that the car would benefit from a racetune from them to get the most out of the CAI but then every service it requries the same, and that is expensive. So if Stillen wants to say now that "obviously" the car needs a tune after installation and every service, then maybe that info should be presented on the bottom of their dyno graphs, along with how many Km's it would take before you will realise the benefits of throwing away hard earned cash.

The lesson: nissan built it, nissan know best. You **** with it you play russian roullete. Stillen R&D dont compare to Nissan's dollar for dollar.

I'm going to gym, this makes me angry...might as well put it to good use.

Over and out.
If you had researched you would of found out, all z's have a learning curve for when you change out intakes. don't be mad be glad. i hope they get you figured out. although i have not had a dyno yet i can tell a difference. might have to pull the maf and clean them as suggested. also pull the engine cover off under the strut bar and make sure they have those 2 hoses hooked up also.

Last edited by kramykram; 02-25-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Get_Zwole

wow cant believe stuff is taht expensive there. Double the price for a Z *** that.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motormouth
^truth. you guys keep thinking american.

also: i am a retard and thought this was for a 350z de or revup engine, didn't realize it was the dual intake engine HR. those get more gains from intake swaps.

still 20hp? ehhhhh not buying it. but just wanted to clarify.
I dunno man. The 370Z had some ridiculous gains on Forged Performance's dyno. I think it was very close to 300whp on a DD with intake, HFCs or TPs, and exhaust.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I have no experience with the HR or 370. foot in mouth. I just as Josh said, don't like stillen because of the crap they put out for the 350zs so jumped to conclusions
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Motormouth
yeah I have no experience with the HR or 370. foot in mouth. I just as Josh said, don't like stillen because of the crap they put out for the 350zs so jumped to conclusions
I usually try to not believe chit until proven otherwise so I'm pretty much with you

Gonna see if I can find the thread though just to add something useful to the thread
Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 AM
blasian

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4264...o-results.html
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
mistanismo

Bear in mind it puts down 280/5ish as a collective of new recent dyno results.

So up to 291 from exhaust / tp is believable. What I'm seeing as amazing is the 15whp jump from the G3 intakes.

We need more dyno #'s to confirm, I don't think anyone is ever going to see anymore than 13-15 on an HR though*.

*on dynojet / mustang
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
phvin

I received the data requested from Tunehouse regarding the OAT, F/A Ratio, and all 6 runs. 6 runs; all very consisent, OAT varied from 28.15C to 28.95C: so no issues there. The solid lines are pre-CAI, and the faint, almost unreadable ones; post-CAI.

If there was dirt on the MAC, wouldn't there be more variation pre and post runs?

Seeing the max size for a PDF is <300kb, it was quiet a mission just posting this graph.

Had to print it out, scan it in, and save it as a Jpg, so apologies for the quality - I'm away from home at the moment.

Any comments would be welcome. I have fowarded everything to Stillen and am awaiting a reply.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.-350z_cai_fuelair.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its an intake, if you know anything about modding cars, you know that intakes generally dont do jack schit other than make your car sound better.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Nexx
its an intake, if you know anything about modding cars, you know that intakes generally dont do jack schit other than make your car sound better.
right you are. Even if it nets any gains, its unlikely the average guy is going to feel it.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
phvin

Yes, nexx/jam3z...but if a manufacter makes certain claims I think us as a consumer have a right to hold them to those claims.

Stillen claims 20hp, I think we should at least get 50% of those claims. Accepting fake claims (like you seem to have no problem with - you know about modding cars) is half the problem why there are so many sharks in this business.

When Stillen (a reputable company) make a claim I'd like to think one can count on them to be telling the truth. Hats of to them at this point, as they are looking into this, but coming to me and telling me I should have known better is BS. I took a reputable company on their word, and did dyno runs to alay my scepitism. My disappointment/unhappiness started when no-one got back to me at stillen when i voiced my problems.

Besides I cant imagine anyone out there would make performance changes to their performance car without checking the net result on said performance. If a performance mod makes the car sound better but degrades its overall performance, how can you describe that as a performance mod? I dont know modding cars but I think more talk and less action is lame.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Jose2008Z

OP,

any updates???? I'm curious to find out what's wrong. I wanted to order these myself.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

awesome
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 PM
NightShade

I ordered some G3's. I'm supposed to be getting them in today. Not sure if I'll have time to install today. I got dynoed at a shop down the street a few weeks ago and put down about 255whp with some berk hfc's I have installed which is weird because I dynoed 262whp when I was stock at another shop on a dynojet. Not sure what kind of dyno this shop was running, but if I do dyno it again before any other mods I'll post it up.

Of course at $125 a dyno, that's a big IF...

Last edited by NightShade; 04-26-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

only way to see true gains with mods is same dyno same day baseline plus a few pulls with every bolt on