Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
kyle@stillen
Sponsor
Stillen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acharney
Hmm. Well, I am not sure what to say about your dyno and experience. I can only comment on my own, in which I saw very good gains in my situation from the gen 3 intakes. Is it possible that you have something wrong with the installation like Josh suggests? Have you double checked everything?

I had mine installed by Forged Performance who did the dyno runs too. I have no ties to Stillen and am sure Sharif at Forged Performance does not either, so my numbers are not inflated or anything. I would make sure everything is properly installed if I were you. I saw good gains and you can read my experience and see my dyno runs on the third page of my thread if you like. Granted I did the Stillen headers and Intake at the same time, but I saw a 30whp gain between the two of them. Stillen's claim of 20whp from the intake is in line with my results.
DOH!

I linked to your thread! Sorry for the double link!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

you guys are pretty quick to bash on a vendor that helps out, cuts deals etc.. stillen are cool people in my book.

I've also seen numerous dynos and members happy with the gen 3 intakes..
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
you guys are pretty quick to bash on a vendor that helps out, cuts deals etc.. stillen are cool people in my book.

+ 1
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
klaze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree
Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 PM
AZHR

+100000, i think stillen is a good vendor.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
nismonian

wow, seems kinda odd to have a thread full of bashing and then four people back up the vendor. Seems kinda fishy...just sayin
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Kuhan

It's retarded for people to jump in and started bashing about the product even they don't own it.

If you don't own the product, how do you know if it produces hp or not?

And why would I trust a guy with only 2 posts started the bs?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

yes nismonian, it's so fishy that we are backing up a vendor we appreciate.

I don't even own any stillen products, I just think it's wrong to knock them after what they do for the forum, and I read this forum enough to have seen several dynos and members being happy with the gen 3 intakes.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nismonian
wow, seems kinda odd to have a thread full of bashing and then four people back up the vendor. Seems kinda fishy...just sayin
Well, it's clearly a conspiracy. You got us. Simultaneously, all of our Batphones rang, and Steve Millen was on the other end telling us that we needed to assemble on this thread and voice our approval.

Last edited by onagao; 02-23-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
phvin

Yip, I thought I would take alot of flack spilling the beans as I did - and yes, to be honest I do feel like a complete ****. If I knew the cost would spiral like it did then there is no f*cking way I would have even thought about it.

But this is how it went: $595 for the CAI, $389 for the V1 spoiler, $415 for the postage. Now I told perfoemnace nissan to please ship as cheaply as possible. This meant instead of handing it to DHL for door delivery they sent it via customs - without my knowelege. Now that it ended up in customs it needed a clearance certificate, and companies charge for that service; plus the shipping service ended in Sydney. So that was another $300 to get the certificate. If I wanted it posted up to where I live another $200.

I contacted a Sydney dyno and service centre (a good one) and they quoted me $400 to dyno run and fit, so seeing I was looking at $200 just to get the parts up to me, it didnt seem like such a bad idea to go down to Syd and get it all done.

So I drive 450km the weekend, hand the car in, and get a phone call 2 hours later; sorry its a bigger job than they thought and is going to cost $600. Now I've already driven 450km to get the job done if I tell them no, I still have to drive back and somehow fit the CAI and spolier in my boot. Between a rock and a hard place?

So thats the tail of woe. It started small and ballooned insanely and looking back on it, would I do it again, **** no.

On the research; I spent a good few weeks researching what I could find on these claims and found nothing about the GEn3, except for someone (on this forum in fact) claiming it had worked as advertised. Also Stillen's page says nothing about having to tune or wait for the ECU to recongize the changes; and anyway from what I can tell this isnt the case; ECU's dont learn over time, they in fact revert back to standard (apparently some people disconnect to prevent this happening every few weeks or so). I am/could/most likely am wrong about this, but thats what I found, so anyone who can give me the right infol; thanks.

Incidently TuneHouse said that the car would benefit from a racetune from them to get the most out of the CAI but then every service it requries the same, and that is expensive. So if Stillen wants to say now that "obviously" the car needs a tune after installation and every service, then maybe that info should be presented on the bottom of their dyno graphs, along with how many Km's it would take before you will realise the benefits of throwing away hard earned cash.

The lesson: nissan built it, nissan know best. You **** with it you play russian roullete. Stillen R&D dont compare to Nissan's dollar for dollar.

I'm going to gym, this makes me angry...might as well put it to good use.

Over and out.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
diablox1

i have had the stillen Gen 3 intake for over 4 months now, with excellent results. I've been a long time member here, and clubs/forums where i live in socal and salt lake city, with members in both major areas experiencing very positive gains with this intake setup.

I am not saying the OP is wrong at all, but what I can say with 100% certainty with 5 dyno pulls so far on my car with this intake, and quite a few other friends with HRs with this intake as well, is that gains are very acceptable. hell, I myself have seen an average gain of aproximately 15whp (avg of all 5 pulls) at 5000ft altitude in ogden utah. for the record, i have stillen true dual exhaust, stillen cats, and stillen gen3 intake. i went from approximately 265 whp with exhaust/cats to between 278-280whp after the intake, again, at 5000ft altitude.

also again, not disputing the OPs claims, but myself and quite a few other longtime enthusiasts have been happy with the stillen gen3 intake. i can provide video and dyno graphs if needed.

Last edited by diablox1; 02-23-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
phvin

Seeing this is generating alot of traffic: Firstly this is MY experience. My mail to Stillen outlined everything, and I didnt rant or rave, I just asked for assistance. I got nothing back. Then I posted,the the flood gates opened.

I contacted technical/sales support as published on the website, how am I meant to know WHO to contact. I am not here to bash a vendor and would really want this to work. **** I've dropped enough money down this hole...

KYLE: if you want I can send you my initial mail, if you have lost it in the system.

KUHAN: It's not BS, the figures are there to back up what I've said. I had the product PROFESSIONALLY installed for F*ck's sake and checked. I checked it again with my limited knowelege. Checks were done for pinging, detonation, etc. at TuneHouse as well.

acharney: I'll check out your pages, and if there is anything else you can suggest I'm all ears. I cant find or hear any leaks so the MAP is the next area to look at. But again; reputable professional installation, now me amauteur (f**ck it more like beginner) screwing around.

If it looks like I'm bashing Stillen, sorry guys, its not the case, but whether it works or not, I will never go down this road again: for obvious reasons.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks for taking the time to post.. we understand that products going out of the country can carry some hefty add-ons in the $$ category.. and we appreciate your want to upgrade your vehicle, and is the reason we build products.. we're enthusiasts too..

Please send either Kyle or myself the original email.. we honestly did not receive, or I guarantee we would have responded: kyle@stillen.com / josh@stillen.com

I've personally checked the sales@stillen.com and orders@stillen.com and cannot find the email, and for that again I apologize.

It's been brought up that the information regarding the ECU adapting should be part of the instructions, and I am working towards making those changes as requested, so the information is more prominent. This in no way was assuming you would have this information at hand, especially with some of the information that can be lost going through a dealer of ours.

Nothing would make us happier than to help diagnose the issues you seem to be having with this intake, and hopefully find the reason why your results aren't as others.

I look forward to your email..

Josh
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

And again to clarify.. this intake does NOT require a tune.. just a chance for the ECU to adapt to the airflow, and adjust accordingly.

The ECU in these vehicles is actually pretty aggressive, it will continue to advance timing until it sees an issue or readings from its sensors, and back things down.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
AZHR

Originally Posted by nismonian
i dont have any stillen parts on my car, never bought anything from them. fishy? sure, think what you want. i have fujita sri (i like the sound), not like im a nutswinger for stillen. At least they made another option for us hr guys, since we are the one's always crying about the lack of love for us.

Originally Posted by Kuhan
It's retarded for people to jump in and started bashing about the product even they don't own it.

If you don't own the product, how do you know if it produces hp or not?

And why would I trust a guy with only 2 posts started the bs?
+1

Originally Posted by onagao
Well, it's clearly a conspiracy. You got us. Simultaneously, all of our Batphones rang, and Steve Millen was on the other end telling us that we needed to assemble on this thread and voice our approval.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 PM
phvin

Thanks Josh,

I've sent the mail.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
phvin

Where the work was done....
Attached Thumbnails Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.-350z.jpg   Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.-350z_3.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by phvin
Where the work was done....
wow i dont even see any lube so it must have hurt when they screwed you over.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by josh@stillen

Please send either Kyle or myself the original email.. we honestly did not receive, or I guarantee we would have responded: kyle@stillen.com / josh@stillen.com

I've personally checked the sales@stillen.com and orders@stillen.com and cannot find the email, and for that again I apologize.

Josh
Check the trash bin (seriously) in those emails. Maybe one of the other service techs saw the email and thought it easier to not respond and stuff it there.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scotts300
Check the trash bin (seriously) in those emails. Maybe one of the other service techs saw the email and thought it easier to not respond and stuff it there.
It's not a multi-user mailbox, that isn't the case. I now have a copy of the email from the OP, and looking forward to resolving the issue. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.