Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Z-Dub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should have just gotten the injens
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phvin
I had a feeling that I would get a quicker reply after posting something on a forum that via a direct email. Josh, I emailed your technical/sales support address as displayed on your website, that was 14 Feb. An email outlining what you said in your reply would have been most welcome.

Six runs done before and six after. I had an issue with low idling, even after driving 450km home after the installation (I live in rural NSW). I reset the ECU that night. The orginal intakes are made of rubber and plastic which is less conductive to heat, the Stillens steel - which get very hot, hot air is bad, cooler air better, so why not construct them out of similiar materials - just a thought?
I've rechecked emails from the 14th, and I don't see anything. It's possible it didn't make it through a spam filter, for that I apologize. I wish we would have gotten it.

Please double check the installation, there should be no issues with idling. We've had a couple calls regarding that, and those are usually due to unmetered air getting in through one of the silicone tubes not being fully secured or installed fully.

In regards to intake air temperatures and the aluminum material, the intake pulls cold air from the front of the vehicle, and with the speed the air is entering the engine, heat soak from the tubes themselves is negligible, especially under acceleration.

Last edited by Team STILLEN; 02-23-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Motormouth
you can't be seriously suggesting that anyone would see 20hp gains from a cold air intake... are you?
Yes, I am..
Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scotts300
Is that what the install instructions indicate?
No, the installation instructions do not state how many full throttle runs it takes for the ECU to adapt, as that's not an instruction for installation.

After driving the car for a bit after the install, the ECU will have adapted. In the case of a back to back dyno, without driving the car around, additional runs (than the typical 3) will show additional HP gained as the ECU adapts.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
DemitriHKS

This should be interesting. Although I really do wish a Z could get a 20HP from an intake...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what would 20hp translate to WHP traditionally? 17whp? from an intake?

Josh. josh. come now bro... these aren't verbal promises you are making... these are written words that follow you around. you are going to sit here on a forum full of Z enthusiasts, many of whom have installed many different intakes (including shops) and say a stock Z will see 17whp from a CAI? let alone Stillen's CAI.

I think you should refund this gentleman's purchase price.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

I get it.. you don't like us. That's fine. But yes, it is possible to see these gains on a stock 350Z DTB with this intake, just as similar gains are seen on the G37 and 370Z..

We were mocked there too, and proven reputable..
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

no, refund...

that's like that woman suing McDonald's...cause the coffee wasn't label 'HOT'....

the OP wants someone to blame for the spending all that money with little to no results...

I say grab a mirror, and yell out 'silly'...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
I get it.. you don't like us. That's fine. But yes, it is possible to see these gains on a stock 350Z DTB with this intake, just as similar gains are seen on the G37 and 370Z..

We were mocked there too, and proven reputable..
I only have issue with shops/retailers that treat customers badly, sell bad products and make outlandish claims on gains. And I only have issues with the salespeople who think they can come into this community and lie to its members without being called out for it. like for instance... you claiming 17whp from a CAI.

Last edited by Motormouth; 02-23-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Interesting since I'm not a salesperson..

But again, I get it, you don't like us, but since you also don't have experience with this CAI, probably difficult for you to state what it does or doesn't do as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I only have issue with shops/retailers that treat customers badly, sell bad products and make outlandish claims on gains. And I only have issues with the salespeople who think they can come into this community and lie to its members without being called out for it. like for instance... you claiming 17whp from a CAI.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Interesting since I'm not a salesperson..

But again, I get it, you don't like us, but since you also don't have experience with this CAI, probably difficult for you to state what it does or doesn't do as well.
oh my bad:

and sorry Josh, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by calling you a salesperson... so it begs the question of course: what is your position at Stillen?

Last edited by Motormouth; 02-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 AM
acharney

Hmm. Well, I am not sure what to say about your dyno and experience. I can only comment on my own, in which I saw very good gains in my situation from the gen 3 intakes. Is it possible that you have something wrong with the installation like Josh suggests? Have you double checked everything?

I had mine installed by Forged Performance who did the dyno runs too. I have no ties to Stillen and am sure Sharif at Forged Performance does not either, so my numbers are not inflated or anything. I would make sure everything is properly installed if I were you. I saw good gains and you can read my experience and see my dyno runs on the third page of my thread if you like. Granted I did the Stillen headers and Intake at the same time, but I saw a 30whp gain between the two of them. Stillen's claim of 20whp from the intake is in line with my results.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

I am in the marketing department, and am an enthusiast myself.. with an '04 G35 Coupe, and have been a member of this board even before my working here at STILLEN.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM
onagao

Originally Posted by KingBaby
no, refund...

that's like that woman suing McDonald's...cause the coffee wasn't label 'HOT'....
I hate to be that guy but she actually won that case. The McDonald's employees set the temperature to one that was well above the accepted level. She received second degree burns to her crotch that wouldn't have been suffered had the McDonald's not negligently set the temperature so high. Sorry.

Last edited by onagao; 02-23-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by onagao
I hate to be that guy but she actually won that case. The McDonald's employees set the temperature to one that was well above the accepted level. She received second degree burns to her crotch that wouldn't have been suffered had the McDonald's not negligently set the temperature so high. Sorry.
thanks guy...for filling us in......just stating that the OP shouldn't be believing the gains are going be the same for any platform. Just as Stella Liebeck should of put her facking coffee in the cup holder...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I am..
I am in the marketing department, and am an enthusiast myself.. with an '04 G35 Coupe, and have been a member of this board even before my working here at STILLEN.
Of course you are, you are in the marketing department.

No, the installation instructions do not state how many full throttle runs it takes for the ECU to adapt, as that's not an instruction for installation.

After driving the car for a bit after the install, the ECU will have adapted. In the case of a back to back dyno, without driving the car around, additional runs (than the typical 3) will show additional HP gained as the ECU adapts.
It sounds like you and your marketing team need to update the instructions; don't you think people are going to do back-to-back dynos to see what their hard-earned money did for them? And don't come back at me with your already-typical excuse, "I get it, you don't like us." I was a Stillen customer since 1997, have interviewed with Steve Millen himself for an engineering job, talked to him on the phone and met with him in person on multiple occasions at his facility, and have had the pleasure of attending a track day with his presence. I have a deep amount of respect for him given what he has done in the world of racing, for Nissan, and for the Nissan aftermarket. Sadly, I have not been impressed with his tech and marketing staff.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scotts300
It sounds like you and your marketing team need to update the instructions; don't you think people are going to do back-to-back dynos to see what their hard-earned money did for them? And don't come back at me with your already-typical excuse, "I get it, you don't like us." I was a Stillen customer since 1997, have interviewed with Steve Millen himself for an engineering job, talked to him on the phone and met with him in person on multiple occasions at his facility, and have had the pleasure of attending a track day with his presence. I have a deep amount of respect for him given what he has done in the world of racing, for Nissan, and for the Nissan aftermarket. Sadly, I have not been impressed with his tech and marketing staff.
Awesome, I'm glad you have had the opportunity to meet Steve and see the facility here, I'd invite anyone in the area to PM me and I'd be happy to give a tour of the facility and all of the things that go on here.

Steve is personally involved with all new products, and works directly with the R&D staff as well as marketing on every step of product development.

His commitment to Nissan and new product development has resulted in hundreds of new products over the last 2 years for Nissan's (edit: and other vehicles, cars, trucks, etc) including continuing development for the 350Z, such as this Gen 3 Intake System.

I will be happy to bring up your suggestion about including a mention of the ECU relearn into the instructions, and see about getting those added.

Last edited by Team STILLEN; 02-23-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

should have taken the claim of 20 hp divide by 3 and expect that - that way you wont be disappointed.
in any event
paying $1700 USD for only 20 hp is still just crazy nuts.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
kyle@stillen
Sponsor
Stillen

Hey Guys,

Josh talked to me about this thread and I just wanted to jump in here real quick.

For starter's, OP it definitely sounds like you are pulling some unmetered air. As Josh suggested, check all of your silicone connectors and make sure you are well sealed. If that doesn't solve the issue, you might check your MAF sensor for contamination. Sometimes oil or finger prints on the MAF sensor can cause inconsistent readings and can cause the ECU headaches trying to compensate for it. Let us know how that works out for you and if you (or anyone else reading this thread) have any questions in the future please feel free to email me directly at kmillen@stillen.com.

In regards to our horsepower claims on this product. I will allow your own forum members to speak on the products. Obviously the manufacturer is never trusted so here is a thread that I found on my350 regarding the power gains of the Gen. 3 intakes:

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/4597...or-vqhr-3.html

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.