Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 PM
phvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.

Ok, Here goes,

Back In december I ordered a Stillen Gen 3 CAI from the States, based on the dyno figures and promised improvement in performance. Now I know 20hp gain at the real wheels was a rather optimistic promise and due to the fact that I was parting with a decent amount of cash I wanted to know that I was at least getting some improvement, even if it was theoritical and only noticable on a dyno.

So enter Tunehouse in Sydney who dyno ran the car before and after they did the installation. From the graph you'll see that the car (with stock intakes) is producing exactly the same as the stock 350z Stillen used (hats off to nissan - good quality control), but after the installation the curves are robbed of drivable torque and power, most noticable in the areas that count. A nice flat power peak through 6000-6500rpm is replaced with a 10kw loss untill 6800, where the engine then makes a small peak before dropping off. The torque curve is even more dishearting with a major drop off from 5500.

Now I would have been happy with 3kw and 3.5nm overall gain but to have my figures plundered to make these gains, especially after the claims Stillen have made, was a bit hard to accept; so I did what anyone would do. I wrote them a email, provided the graph, explained everything that had been done. That was 2 weeks ago, and I havent heard a thing back.

So in review: USD600 for the CAI, USD300 shipping, AUD300 clear customs, AUD600 installation and testing. ouch.

So anyone thinking about making this purchase; dont. In fact I would steer clear of Stillen products out of principle. Overall I am very disappointed because I had heard good things about Stillen, but in the end I guess they are just another company out for your money and the truth isnt that important.
Attached Thumbnails Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.-dyno_chart_350z001.jpg  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You could have spent an hour researching on the forum instead of blindly buying this and depending on their claims.

You have only yourself to blame.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
DB350

Sounds like you have 06+? Correct?

Stock airbox with an aftermarket filter is the best.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Team STILLEN
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to know who you emailed.. that's completely atypical to our customer support.

In regards to dyno testing, I would hope that the shop did 7-8 full dyno runs, as it takes a little while for the ECU to adjust everything to accommodate the changes to the intake, and has been outlined in previous posts.

I'm not disputing your dyno testing, just wish that we would have had a chance to discuss your results, and explain the time necessary for the car to adjust.

The ECU responds very well to aftermarket changes, but after numerous runs. Do you know how many were run before the second readings?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
phvin

I had a feeling that I would get a quicker reply after posting something on a forum that via a direct email. Josh, I emailed your technical/sales support address as displayed on your website, that was 14 Feb. An email outlining what you said in your reply would have been most welcome.

Six runs done before and six after. I had an issue with low idling, even after driving 450km home after the installation (I live in rural NSW). I reset the ECU that night. The orginal intakes are made of rubber and plastic which is less conductive to heat, the Stillens steel - which get very hot, hot air is bad, cooler air better, so why not construct them out of similiar materials - just a thought?

Waizz: I did research, and to be honest I came across an "independant" tester who backed up Stillens claims. I couldnt find anyone claiming it to be BS, otherwise I never would have purchased it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh@stillen
Would love to know who you emailed.. that's completely atypical to our customer support.

In regards to dyno testing, I would hope that the shop did 7-8 full dyno runs, as it takes a little while for the ECU to adjust everything to accommodate the changes to the intake, and has been outlined in previous posts.

I'm not disputing your dyno testing, just wish that we would have had a chance to discuss your results, and explain the time necessary for the car to adjust.

The ECU responds very well to aftermarket changes, but after numerous runs. Do you know how many were run before the second readings?
you can't be seriously suggesting that anyone would see 20hp gains from a cold air intake... are you?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by phvin
Waizz: I did research, and to be honest I came across an "independant" tester who backed up Stillens claims. I couldnt find anyone claiming it to be BS, otherwise I never would have purchased it.
I wish you would have joined this forum before making any purchases

sorry man. live and learn... the Z platform is atypical from what a lot of people expect out of an 'import tuner' car.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 AM
duro78

Originally Posted by Motormouth
you can't be seriously suggesting that anyone would see 20hp gains from a cold air intake... are you?
Thats what it sounds like to me. Stillen is supposed to be one of the companies that are truth full with there claims i guess not. Why is it so friggin hard to print what a part will actually do instead of inflating the #s.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Motormouth
Banned

since when was Stillen a truthful company?

does no one remember their supercharger system?

stage 1: 325whp
stage 2: 350whp
stage 3: 350whp
stage 4: OMG NEW!! ...350whp
ULTIMATE STAGE 5 MEGA SUPER ULTRA PACKAGE: 350whp

:P of course I am being funny but still.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

USD600 for the CAI, USD300 shipping, AUD300 clear customs, AUD600 installation
Ok that is just retarded. I wouldnt even pay $600 for an intake system, but you shell out an extra $300 for shipping and about $270 for customs? You got royally screwed, both financially and mechanically.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh those bastids and their exaggerated claims!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by josh@stillen

Is that what the install instructions indicate?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Im sure a machine shop could have custom made you intakes for much cheaper then that lol.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by dave079
And wait you paid $1800 in total for intakes?!?!?!
I skimmed so didnt see it till now but holy ****. If you really paid that much then
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Rubidium

An intake not making the exact power you see on their sheet's, are you configured the exact same way as the test vehicle? probably not. So there is always leeway on different builds. Now for the price you payed? You can't fault anyone for that, you know how much you're going to pay before you buy something. If you don't research costs, that's your fault no one else's. Well now you've lived and learned, use your current experience to fuel future purchases. It may not be with STILLEN brand but, you should always do research on products before buying.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Rubidium

300.00 AUD = 268.573 USD (Customs)
600.00 AUD = 537.145 USD (Install)
300.00 USD (Shipping)
600.00 USD (Component price)
Total -$1705.72

Paying someone to install is just absurd, it's a damn air intake maybe take you 3 hours at max.

Last edited by Rubidium; 02-23-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Motormouth
Banned

rubadubdubium, no intake will ever yield those kinds of gains on a Z.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Rubidium

Originally Posted by Motormouth
rubadubdubium, no intake will ever yield those kinds of gains on a Z.
lolol, I concur.

Quick Reply: Stillen CAI Gen3 - 20hp gain claim is BS.