Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The most exotic sounding exhaust for VQ ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Adon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing Motordyne in this thread, over on driver there's not too much talk of Motordyne, so I don't really know much about it...

I'm gonna start diggin in for sound clips and prices, thanks for nudging me in the right direction guys
Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's many youtube vids of motordyne.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
hellsoldiers08

just installed the godspeed today. car already had aam test pipes and aam y-pipe. Car sounds great. tone over all is better than that set up with nvidia n-1,which is loud as hell!! ill see if my brother would be willing to post up a video. pm if interested.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
RAYZ33

Hey Adon, how's it going?!

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you, been searching these boards for years looking for an aftermarket exhaust that sounds as close to the stock hollow howl as possible. I've read tons of good things about Fast Intentions exhausts and the Motordyne Gamma systems but can't vouche how they sound in person since no1 locally owns one that i'm aware of.

IMO you should just swap out for HFC's and a Motordyne XYZ pipe with the straight or resonated extension. I already have HFCs and am looking for those 07+ HR y-pipes to try out till i decide to sacrifice the sound for better gains from a TD.

GL w/ your search!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high flow cats or test pipes (i prefer test pipes after my high flows failed twice), motordyne xyz pipe w/resonator nismo s-tune mid pipe and tail section FTW!!!
ill hopefully have some good sound vids up next week
i hate how the deep dual exhausts sound

Last edited by tylerxfire; 03-25-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
SatchScream

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
high flow cats or test pipes (i prefer test pipes after my high flows failed twice), motordyne xyz pipe w/resonator nismo s-tune mid pipe and tail section FTW!!!
In for sound clips. Very interested to hear how this sounds.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 AM
viceversa

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
ditto on how all dual exhausts sound for the VQ. 3inch single mid-pipe FTW
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL. That soundracer V8 gizmo is such a cool idea - thanks for sharing the vid. I can totally dig sticking that into my Sentra on days when I cannot drive my G. It would be even better if you could flash the car of your choice into it! Now that would be something. I can think of some neat applications for that actually - because with an accurate recording you could actually use it to kill drone (wave cancellation).

Back on topic though, the MD Shockwave v2 exhaust note was the first one that has left me continually wanting to listen to the exhaust note, even at idle... Definitely try to listen to one in person if you can (e.g. ZdayZ is coming up! ). Please note that the "v2" is different than just the shockwave.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-26-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOVAFgChPqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtbMXhCsYUw

I wish so badly that the Motordyne exhaust had been out back when I bought my Stillen TD.

Last edited by onagao; 03-26-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Erdem

Originally Posted by onagao
I wish so badly that the Motordyne exhaust had been out back when I bought my Stillen TD.
I'm willing to buy your Stillen TD if it is in good shape then..
couse I just love the sound of Stillen TD
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 AM
o2sys

The most exotic sounding exhaust is the Saclam exhaust. But i'm sure it is out your budget (no offsense lol)

I think i understand the "sound" you are talking about. Some near stock note sounding exhaust but just at a higher volume would be the Fujitsubo Legalis and Apexi WS2.

But then again this is all in the ears of the beholder so...you are asking an opinionated question and that will be all the answers you will get...opinions.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 AM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by Adon
well the stock note, yea it's hollow... actually if you really REALLY listen to it, it sounds like a cow mooing... I don't know how many of you guys have actually stood next to a cow that was mooing, but I have, and the stock exhaust sounds eerily similar, lol !

but I mean if you compare to any other stock car/stock exhaust on the road, the VQ comes the closest when it comes to sounding like a ferrari, or an M5/M6.... not at all saying it sounds like it, but it comes the closest.
I know that those exotic cars are V10's 12's so obviously you can't replicate the exact sound, cause a V6 is a V6 at the end of the day.... but I'm looking at it this way, if we can have a variety of exhausts that change the sound to a deep and mean rumble that sounds like a V8 american muscle car, there's gotta be a way to make it sound more exotic as well.

I've had the car for only a few short years, and one of my first mods was a Nismo exhaust, but I took it off after a month, for some reason it was quieter than my stock exhaust, it was brand new so I don't know if I gave it time to break in... then I went back to stock exhaust and cut out my rear muffler piece and just having the tips running out, and that was pretty loud, lots of drone though, no rasp however, it sounded nice and you could hear the VQ but it was too loud in cabin..... and currently I've got a stock exhaust again that I got off a 2007 coupe (mine is a 2003)

As far as Exotic Speed the Amuse replica, they are a local shop a 10 minute drive from my house, before they started selling them I was offered a sponsorship they were gonna give me the exhaust for under $500cdn, which at the time was like $400us.
I was gonna do it until I saw video clips online, it sounded deep, nothing like the Amuse... I've heard the Amuse in person as well and it's high pitched exotic amazing...

since I can't afford amuse at least for now, I guess I'm just gonna try simple stuff first, like y-pipe, resonated test pipes, etc... but if let's say for example I put on resonated test pipes and y pipe and it's too loud, do you guys think it would be wise to add an extra magnaflow resonator in the midpipe ?? I've read about guys doing something like that and they loved it

I stopped reading after this.

Go with ART Pipes, Nismo Exhaust, and you'll be golden.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Ronin82

you HAVE to go to Z meets or be around other Z's with those kinda upgrades to make a good assumption on what "sounds" good
Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
onagao

+1 on the Saclam, though it'll cost an arm and a leg to get it. That setup even *looks* sexy.

Erdem, if you didn't live in Denmark, I would seriously consider a sale. That and if I could find some way to justify to my wife why I'm spending so much money on my car....
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
LOL. That soundracer V8 gizmo is such a cool idea - thanks for sharing the vid. I can totally dig sticking that into my Sentra on days when I cannot drive my G.
That is pretty funny stuff eh?
It would probably do well with good subwoofers and a amp in the car too.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Erdem

+1 on the Saclam, though it'll cost an arm and a leg to get it. That setup even *looks* sexy.

Erdem, if you didn't live in Denmark, I would seriously consider a sale. That and if I could find some way to justify to my wife why I'm spending so much money on my car....
I'm paying the shipping, no problem there...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Erdem

anyways.. I have the same problem with my parents AND gf...
spending too much on car.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtbMXhCsYUw

Ouch. Way to loud and raspy for my taste. Hurt my ears a bit...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
Sell the Z and buy a Ferrari.
exactly........if you want an exotic sounding engine....don't buy a car whose engine is found in altimas, maximas, pathfinders, exterras, 350z, g35s, m35s, fx35s, etc. The VQ35 is like an all-purpose workhorse of an engine for Nissan......not exactly EXOTIC.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

exotic was probably just a bad choice of words..Im sure the OP ment "sexy sounding"

I would say motordyne with HFC

Quick Reply: The most exotic sounding exhaust for VQ ?