Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The most exotic sounding exhaust for VQ ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Adon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most exotic sounding exhaust for VQ ?

I understand that when it comes to aftermarket exhausts most of you guys are into the manly sounding systems like HKS or other true duals that sound aggressive deep and loud.

I'm looking for the total opposite, the stock exhaust note sounds very refined and exotic we all know that, and I'm just trying to enhance that sound.
Something like an Amuse Titanium exhaust, that's high pitched as opposed to deep, smooth and refined as opposed to mean and loud... anyway you get the idea..

if I had the money I'd get Amuse, but right now the budget doesn't allow it..... I was thinking experimenting casually with my stock exhaust first with something like a Y-pipe see how that works out, then maybe adding some resonated test pipes or HFC's, I don't really know right now that's why I'm making the thread....

so I wanna hear from you guys who've tried various different setups, guys who really know what sounds like what because they've heard it in person, and not read it on some thread. In any case can I get some feedback please... thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Exoticspeed makes an amuse knockoff.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

+1. however i think Amuse sounds like ********.

My most exotic i guess u can say that i was very pleased with was Nismo exhaust AAM y pipe helix non res tps
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
importdemon5

Go to a Z meet and hear for yourself. Best thing you can do to be honest. Vids just don't cut it.

One's description of an "exotic" is different from others. If you are talking about getting an exhaust tone like a ferrari, aston martin, m3, m5 or m6 it's just not gonna happen. We don't have as many cylinders as them. But you can deff. get a sound like this going with a full exhaust (headers, tsps, y-pipe, single or dual exhaust).
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How long have you been searching for this exotic sound? 3 years? Maybe it does not exit.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
aZn93

Go with Motordyne ART pipes they refine most exhaust notes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
User 42426

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the stock note, try getting hfc and switch out the y pipe. Or just get a fujitsubo, tanabe, or nismo exhaust.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by stevehl
If you like the stock note, try getting hfc and switch out the y pipe. Or just get a fujitsubo, tanabe, or nismo exhaust.
HFCs and stock exhaust will rasp... HFCs and nismo will rasp... HFCs with Motordyne XYZ w/resonator and nismo is pretty exotic and sounds nice...

i currently have the Motordyne dual Gamma with stock cats... and that (too me) sounds like an enhanced stock VQ sound that the OP may be looking for...
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

My vote would be for a Motordyne Exhaust, but I'm little biased, or Nismo

Have you thought about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo
Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 AM
JMSpeed

love that
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 AM
michael815

Listen to a fast intentions , quiet at cruise wonderful at WOT.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:15 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Fast Intentions (at high rpms) or the MD v2 shockwave tdx (at all rpms) both have some interesting harmonics added in to the usual deep tone, that sound really good (to me).
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 AM
viceversa

Nismo is the best at retaining the stock note IMO. I have the exotic speed (similar to the amuse) paired with motordyne XYZ pipe and I love it. Soon to be paired with FI resonated test pipes

I have some sound clips on my review thread over on driver.

http://g35driver.com/forums/reviews/...rdyne-xyz.html
Old 03-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'exotic' is a relative term of course. I wouldn't say a stock exhaust sounds exotic at all - rather hollow

set a budget
listen to some setups online
attend some local meets

in that order
Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Adon

well the stock note, yea it's hollow... actually if you really REALLY listen to it, it sounds like a cow mooing... I don't know how many of you guys have actually stood next to a cow that was mooing, but I have, and the stock exhaust sounds eerily similar, lol !

but I mean if you compare to any other stock car/stock exhaust on the road, the VQ comes the closest when it comes to sounding like a ferrari, or an M5/M6.... not at all saying it sounds like it, but it comes the closest.
I know that those exotic cars are V10's 12's so obviously you can't replicate the exact sound, cause a V6 is a V6 at the end of the day.... but I'm looking at it this way, if we can have a variety of exhausts that change the sound to a deep and mean rumble that sounds like a V8 american muscle car, there's gotta be a way to make it sound more exotic as well.

I've had the car for only a few short years, and one of my first mods was a Nismo exhaust, but I took it off after a month, for some reason it was quieter than my stock exhaust, it was brand new so I don't know if I gave it time to break in... then I went back to stock exhaust and cut out my rear muffler piece and just having the tips running out, and that was pretty loud, lots of drone though, no rasp however, it sounded nice and you could hear the VQ but it was too loud in cabin..... and currently I've got a stock exhaust again that I got off a 2007 coupe (mine is a 2003)

As far as Exotic Speed the Amuse replica, they are a local shop a 10 minute drive from my house, before they started selling them I was offered a sponsorship they were gonna give me the exhaust for under $500cdn, which at the time was like $400us.
I was gonna do it until I saw video clips online, it sounded deep, nothing like the Amuse... I've heard the Amuse in person as well and it's high pitched exotic amazing...

since I can't afford amuse at least for now, I guess I'm just gonna try simple stuff first, like y-pipe, resonated test pipes, etc... but if let's say for example I put on resonated test pipes and y pipe and it's too loud, do you guys think it would be wise to add an extra magnaflow resonator in the midpipe ?? I've read about guys doing something like that and they loved it

Last edited by Adon; 03-25-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Motordyne Shockwave + Test Pipes = exotic to my ears
Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Get_Zwole

Sell the Z and buy a Ferrari.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM
jserman

I had an amuse on my G and i couldn't even tell I had an exhaust on it.. I sold that and went to the Fast intentions TD with test pipes and it had a good sound but my buddies Z with just the Topspeed catback is the sex...

I have also heard injen (blows) and Nismo and they sound to raspy for me....
Old 03-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by jserman
I had an amuse on my G and i couldn't even tell I had an exhaust on it.. I sold that and went to the Fast intentions TD with test pipes and it had a good sound but my buddies Z with just the Topspeed catback is the sex...

I have also heard injen (blows) and Nismo and they sound to raspy for me....
i agree top speed is amazing sound if only it didnt look like garbage.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abarclay
My vote would be for a Motordyne Exhaust, but I'm little biased, or Nismo

Have you thought about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo
That had me rolling

Quick Reply: The most exotic sounding exhaust for VQ ?