Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

The Shockwave))) True Dual X (TDX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 PM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda hard to judge volume by vids

is this a loud exhaust? I know its not as loud as V1 shockwave, but then again nothing is lol

for the ppl who have the V2, can you compare volume levels with the nismo exhaust?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn, nice exhaust Tony it looks really well made.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:18 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jit13
Nice ! Will let you know when im ready to order. I need to upgrade from the shockwave v1 too much drone.

Just to make sure I need to replace this section only right (to convert to shockwave v2 tdx)

I don't like those resonators by the tips makes it look like an hks replica..

I know Tony already answered your question but to re-iterate, to get rid of your drone, you only HAVE to get the V2 axleback sections.(the side canisters you don't like that you think make it look like an hks replica)

Everything in your highlighted is not necessary unless you want the new TDX midpipe.

and i was once in your situation and so i know from experience.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:19 PM
stylett9

i got this exhaust installed today. I'll elaborate more tomorrow.

But to sum it up, excellent exhaust.

Last edited by stylett9; 05-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 PM
sfearl1

this exhaust sounds incredible!! i'll post up some video/audio when i get a chance... iphone pic for now

Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Looks good. I haven't seen a bumper tuck with a dual exhaust. Did you have a single before?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
sfearl1

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Looks good. I haven't seen a bumper tuck with a dual exhaust. Did you have a single before?
nope, but the guy that did the exhaust install broke off one of the tabs that holds the bumper in place so i decided to break the other off and tuck it. i was on the fence about it before the install but that basically made my mind up. i think it came out really good though.

a lot of the guys in the bumper tuck thread also have dual exhaust ... https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...c-request.html
Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That actually looks really good. I've been toying with the idea for the last few days; the exhaust is pretty enough to get that sort of extra attention.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM
sfearl1

Originally Posted by onagao
That actually looks really good. I've been toying with the idea for the last few days; the exhaust is pretty enough to get that sort of extra attention.
if you do it, make sure you remove the heat shield. noticed you still had it in your thread.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfearl1
if you do it, make sure you remove the heat shield. noticed you still had it in your thread.
Haha. I'll be sure to. Good spot!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 AM
idrive_MD

damn i just bought a used system and now all of these new versions are available. I have the XYZ ver1, TDX Shockwave ver.1, Gamma ver1, and some single exit variations. Not a bad deal at $800 plus my OEM system.

Drone on the TDX-Shockwave is immense. Love the sound, but I dont think I will be able to drive everyday like this. Am I able to get a trade-in deal for the new helmholtz rear sections too?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Idrive MD,
Sorry, we can't do a trade in on the older style V1 axleback section. When the new V2 (with side branch resonators) was developed we had to change the tube bend angles to make it all fit properly.

So now all the V1's are made with these new tube bend angles. They can be traded in for the upgrade.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 PM
stylett9

Ok so I haven't gotten around to my review since I've been busy with school but now I'm making time.

To start, Tony@motordyne is a no BS, straight legit guy. I had issues with an exhaust system I recently purchased. I don't want to reveal too many details because I don't want people taking advantage of Tony, but the end result was that Tony is a VERY fair business man. So I ordered a mid pipe replacement and when I get the package in the mail, I was extremely confused! The midpipe he sent me was completely different then the one I currently had. This really pissed me off at first, but after calling Tony and researching on his website, I realized that Tony was a bad *** and sent me the NEW TDX as my replacement! This just goes to show what kind of customer service he provides and honestly the integrity of the company that we pay money to purchase from. So I was slightly concerned at first, because this new TDX system removes one of the resonators that was part of my last midpipe. But I had no other choice to install it, or else I'd be forever stuck with an exhaust that didn't fit.

One of the BIGGEST advantages of this new TDX in comparison to my old one, is the mid pipe doesn't hang low like it did before. For those of you that have the other systems, know that it's annoying how the mid pipe canister hangs at an angle, and doesn't have much clearance at all from the ground. It was pretty annoying because every time i drive to school, that mid pipe canister would scrape on every damn speed bump. However, NO MORE do i have this problem. The new TDX relocates the mid pipe canister right after the Y pipe allowing it to hang straight, flat, and even (rather then at an angle downwards like the old one). Just by looking under your car, you can already see how much additional ground clearance you now have in comparison to before.

As for the noise, i have this system paired with V2 axlebacks. Before, i loved my pre-existing setup because the sound was PERFECT. You have a throaty sound, yet it doesn't drone at all, it's not terribly deep, and really comes alive only when you step on it. Now because this new TDX removes the resonator that USED to be located right after the Y pipe, it does make the exhaust a little louder. I would say that it has brought back some of the deepness and bass that I used to have with the V1 axlebacks, however it's very moderate and manageable. In fact, for most people I'd probably say it's perfect, however I'm very picky when it comes to exhausts being deep because of their natural result of drone. However the best way i can describe this new TDX with V2 axlebacks is it does bring back some of the bass, but it's not droning bass. If it got any louder, it could possibly approach a droning stage, but paired with my stock cats it's still pretty damn sexy sounding. Again, The throaty sound of the V2 is still there, but with the TXD you get a little more of that bass'y oomph back.
Honestly that's the best way i can describe it. Again I want to make sure people understand that this exhaust does have a good amount of bass too it, but it's not droning bass. I will try to get soundclips up soon for more comparisons.

So my overall verdict is, I loved my old setup(sound wise), but with the new TDX it does bring some of the bass back but honestly, i still love it! because some of the bass is back, the backfiring pops are much louder and sound meaner which I always think sounds cool.

If i had to choose between my old setup (sorry for referring to it as the old setup but i don't remember what the name of the old midpipe is) and my current setup which is, XYZ-TDX-V2 axlebacks, i would totally choose my current setup. Yes it's a bit more bass'y and louder, but it's a very good balance of deepness and exotic sex sound mixed together. Bravo to Tony for taking his already bad *** product, and making enhancements to make it even more bad ***.

I will conclude with some install recommendations for those of you considering doing this install yourself. Piece the whole exhaust together. However don't tighten any of the clamps or bolts, and don't worry if the exhaust tips are horribly off and aren't lining up with your rear bumper. Just get everything hanging in place and connected(but again, don't tighten the clamps on anything!). Once this is done, start from the front of your car and work your way back. Meaning, Tighten down the clamp from your XYZ to your TXD. One VERY VERY VERY helpful tip is to take something to prop up against your TDX midpipe and push it and keep it in place as close to the drive shaft as possible. Meaning, use something to brace the midpipe vertically/straight up(if you don't do this, your exhaust naturally will hang very low due to gravity and rest on the black brace underneath the car creating obnoxious rattling and vibrations, and your tips won't be tucked properly with your rear bumper). Ok, so now that you have your XYZ and TDX clamped with plenty of clearance from the black brace, have someone get behind the car, and yank back and forth on the pipes until you have then aligned in a desirable fashion. Especially on the passenger side axleback, if you don't do this correctly, it won't have clearance with the rear sway bar and will vibrate on it. So have your friend play with the pipes by twisting, pulling, pushing until the pipes are positioned as desirable, and while your friend holds the pipes, tighten down the clamps between the TDX and the TDX attachment pipes. Once those are down, again pull, twist, turn and play with the axleback sections ensuring they are at the desirable location and have your friend hold it in place while you tighten the last set of clamps that attach the axle backs to the TDX. if you don't do this, your exhaust pipes will NEVER be aligned right, and your tips will NEVER angle out straight. This is what i learned the hard way, and after 7 back breaking hours, my cousin and I found this out.

So key take aways for self installers,
1)make sure you use something to brace the TDX canister by pushing it up vertically(pushing it as close as possible to the drive shaft. Even after clamping things into place, gravity will still make it drop and lower a little bit ensuring you won't have any issues with your driveshaft, but this will provide good clearance of the black Brace.
2)Make sure you have a friend helping to hold and secure all the pipes while you tighten bolts.

Hopefully this writeup makes sense and feel free to PM me or ask questions about the install.
cheers everyone and again, Tony is a great guy to work with and his products are amazing!

Last edited by stylett9; 05-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If you (or anyone) have any questions during your installation feel free to give me a call. (661) 993-5111
It shouldn't be difficult.
When I do the install on jack stands it takes about an hour. On a lift, its a lot easier and should take about 30-45 minutes.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-25-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 on Tony's customer service. He got me the full 3" TDX in time for the airstrip event and ZdayZ!

I will post more next week. I had an exhaust shop put it on for me due to limited time before ZdayZ, and they only charged $80 and took less than an hour to do all the adjustments. With all the v-band clamps, if you misrotate up front, it propagates the error all the way back. I have a number of midpipe combinations to try out (Tony sent extras due to my tight schedule) and will report back next week.

THANK YOU TONY!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 AM
UnitedBreaks

Hats off to Tony for making an excellent TDX system. Installed it last night, everything looks and sounds great.

Thanks for the great customer service when it was needed too!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
traviswalker007

Default 4 weeks out

Tony,
I really need the TDX2 man...hook me up bro, i will pay extra...check the back room closet..LOL but seriously i really need one i dont wanna buy HKS if i dont have too
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony!! 3" inch TDX V2 now!!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thumbs up

A little TT Nismo action
Attached Thumbnails The Shockwave))) True Dual X (TDX)-nismo-tdx.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 AM
350z 6spd

^^ Greddy or GTM?

Quick Reply: The Shockwave))) True Dual X (TDX)