Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Pop Charger vs heat, tests with OT-2

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Jeff92se

Received 1,072 Likes on 964 Posts

The type of intake can prevent you from ingesting the hotter air inside the engine compartment vs an outside source. Yes the engine might be just as hot but at least the IAT isn't registering a hotter temp to the ecu and retarding the ignition tables because of it. Yes, the ecu should recover after 10 seconds or less but why have to deal with it at all?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Dave B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by o2sys
Why did NISSAN put the accordion there anyways???
Because the engine rocks in it's engine mounts and the airbox is affixed to the body of the car. If the pipe was fixed, it would run the risk of pulling itself from airbox over time.

Ferrari's run these accordian pipes for the same purpose. It's not restrictive when you consider the size of the pipe in relation to what the VQ35 can ingest at WOT.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
^ Me and this cat here debated this extensively a while back, lol. We agreed to disagree.

Im with you, Terra. We may lose a few (no way 10-15) in the first few seconds, but make up for it in the top end. There is just simply no way heat soak will counter a much larger velocity stack and more filter area with increased flow characteristics over a dry, flat filter pulling air from one location.
As Jeff pointed out, it's data straight from Motordyne and is the reason why MD doesn't make filters on a stick. Tony prides his business on making products that work as advertized. If he had data that showed aftermarket intakes were worthwhile for the these cars, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (Tony is one, BTW) to know that MD would be making them. He'd sell a ton of them on his company's name alone. He goes to great lengths to engineer some pretty wild exhaust stuff which isn't easy to make. Why would he pass on making something so easy like an intake? Errr....because they don't do squat on these cars and he doesn't want to damage his company's rep. He goes as far as not recommending them to owners as well. BTW there road race VQ35DE 350Zs and G Coupes with built 300+whp motors and a majority of them run the OEM airbox.

If you want us to believe the OEM airbox posses a restriction why don't you post up some legit data that proves it? IMO, people hear the louder induction noise and assume they must be going faster.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM
SniperHunter

I love how a bunch of us Maxima.org people are in this thread.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave B
If you want us to believe the OEM airbox posses a restriction why don't you post up some legit data that proves it? IMO, people hear the louder induction noise and assume they must be going faster.
Its been posted many times with the pop charger, especially with a dyno when the hood is up.

Yes people cry when you dyno a car with the hood up. But if you look at it, having the hood up with cooling air would give you the best REAL WORLD conditions.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Jeff92se

It's not the speed at which the air travels from the filter to the engine, it's what the IAT temp sensor is reading and what it's doing to the ign timing tables when it sees hot air. Yes, the temp normalizes shortly but it takes time. It's only about 5-7 seconds? But when you are taking off from a light or at the strip, that's significant. Tony has performed extensive testing on the subject of intakes and done alot of temp testing vs time and it's affect on the ign timing, recovery and hp/torque.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

^I don't dispute there is an initial lag, but I would absolutely dispute it is 5-7 seconds. I have a crude, crappy DIY insulation job around to keep the heat away from the filter element, and the initial timing pull is slight (in the 1-2 second area at the most). I wouldn't be able to trap anywhere near 84-86mph in the 1/8th in a bolt-on car if the ecu was pulling 3-5 degrees of timing for 5-7 seconds. I'll have to look when I get home, but I know I have several logs that show the IAT's dropping very, very quickly after making initial movement.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Jeff92se

I don't recall Hydrazine's exact time delay of the hot IAT reading ign pull. But it's there and documented. I don't think the stock airbox or the stillen are preventing the high end power. And I don't want to sacrfice any low end to get those preceived gains. Hydrazine's tests of the stock airbox include the entire rpm range. I think if he thought going to an aftermarket was the best way to get gains for his products, he'd be the 1st to let you guys know.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
^I don't dispute there is an initial lag, but I would absolutely dispute it is 5-7 seconds. I have a crude, crappy DIY insulation job around to keep the heat away from the filter element, and the initial timing pull is slight (in the 1-2 second area at the most). I wouldn't be able to trap anywhere near 84-86mph in the 1/8th in a bolt-on car if the ecu was pulling 3-5 degrees of timing for 5-7 seconds. I'll have to look when I get home, but I know I have several logs that show the IAT's dropping very, very quickly after making initial movement.
Let me ask this, in what kind of weather did you run your best ET/MPHs? I'd bet they were in cool and dry sub 60 degree days at a quick track like Cecil.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I run 13.20-13.35 (104-104.5) from with DA of 2000-3000......13.15-13.20 (104.5-106) with DA's of 1200-(~)2000....13.05-13.15 (106-107.5) DA's of 0-1200'....etc. I run within a .1 at all the local tracks as well (Mason Dixon, Crapital, and Cecil). Too be honest my worst 60's of the season were on my PB. The weather was very cool......It would have been a mid 12.80 day had I been able to find some traction.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave B
As Jeff pointed out, it's data straight from Motordyne and is the reason why MD doesn't make filters on a stick. Tony prides his business on making products that work as advertized. If he had data that showed aftermarket intakes were worthwhile for the these cars, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (Tony is one, BTW) to know that MD would be making them. He'd sell a ton of them on his company's name alone. He goes to great lengths to engineer some pretty wild exhaust stuff which isn't easy to make. Why would he pass on making something so easy like an intake? Errr....because they don't do squat on these cars and he doesn't want to damage his company's rep. He goes as far as not recommending them to owners as well. BTW there road race VQ35DE 350Zs and G Coupes with built 300+whp motors and a majority of them run the OEM airbox.

No need to hug nuts here, we are all quite very well aware of Tony's reputation and knowledge, as well as the extensive testing done with all of his products. Everything you stated has been covered time and time again, and just as you ask me to provide you more results that have already been given here before, i ask you to provide me results from someone other than Tony as nut hugging isnt going to get us anywhere we havent already been.

Regardless, his testing was done to the best of his abilities to get as close to real-world simulation as possible...but imho testing like this with such a finite degree of changes within very short time frame and with the hardest to control variables having the biggest dramatic effects on results, the ONLY way to test this is having VERY controlled variables and a simulation literally identical to real-world conditions, which he was not able to achieve. Which doesnt say much, because it will prob never be achieved due to cost over benefit.

Likewise, though, im sure JWT would never have released this product if it was virtually worthless. I would expect that from maybe AEM, but not JWT. But per my above argument, lets ignore names and reputations and start looking at the testing methods and results.

I dont think anyone in this thread thus far thinks that by getting a whistling sound, we are getting increased airflow. So do us all a favor and try to give us the benefit of the doubt.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Dave B

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
No need to hug nuts here, we are all quite very well aware of Tony's reputation and knowledge, as well as the extensive testing done with all of his products. Everything you stated has been covered time and time again, and just as you ask me to provide you more results that have already been given here before, i ask you to provide me results from someone other than Tony as nut hugging isnt going to get us anywhere we havent already been.

Regardless, his testing was done to the best of his abilities to get as close to real-world simulation as possible...but imho testing like this with such a finite degree of changes within very short time frame and with the hardest to control variables having the biggest dramatic effects on results, the ONLY way to test this is having VERY controlled variables and a simulation literally identical to real-world conditions, which he was not able to achieve. Which doesnt say much, because it will prob never be achieved due to cost over benefit.

Likewise, though, im sure JWT would never have released this product if it was virtually worthless. I would expect that from maybe AEM, but not JWT. But per my above argument, lets ignore names and reputations and start looking at the testing methods and results.

I dont think anyone in this thread thus far thinks that by getting a whistling sound, we are getting increased airflow. So do us all a favor and try to give us the benefit of the doubt.
If you knew me from Gdriver, you'd know I have pretty strong distaste for most every aftermarket company. Maybe I do swing from Tony's nuts, but it's only because he runs his company exactly has I'd run mine. He designs parts using real apolied science, only sells parts that work, hold's his products to strict quality control, and he's responsive to customer needs. It's why his company has been wildly successful. It's also why he's never developed a filter on a stick. He knows, as well as I, that aftermarket intakes tend to cause a whole slew of minor issues including one or many of the following:

1) Excessively high intake temps over ambient leads to increased knock -> timing retard -> riched A/F ratio (cool combustion chamber temps) -> reduced power. High intake temps also leads to reduced power since the hot air is less dense with oxygen.

2) Inconsistent MAF readings caused by air turbulence across the MAF elements. Yes, aftermarket intakes, specifically "pop" style intakes impact the laminar flow characteristics of the intake tract and lower rpms causing inconsistent MAF readings. Ever wonder why with these intakes, you fell a turbo like surge in power around 4000-4500rpms? CAI style intakes impact laminar flow in a different way. The extra length in the intake tract hurts the higher rpm breathing of the VQ because the engine has to pull in the air from an additional 12" of pipe. It's basically long runner vs short runner flow characteristics.

With all that said, do some cars benefit from aftermarket intakes? Absolutely. My 94 Z28 picked up 12whp/15wtq by simply adding an intake because GM intentionally made the intake restrictive. The G/Z intake tract, however, has been designed to be extremely efficent. Nissan isn't going to leave easy power on the table when every little HP equates to sales. As we know, HP and style really sell cars.

As for JWT's reputation building their intakes, they've simply applied the one size fits all rule to their intakes. They've seen gains on other platforms and building an intake for the G/Z was simple and so it should surely work, right?

Most people buy intakes for G/Zs because they really don't know any better. They want cheap extra power and ease of install so an intake is the obvious choice because they believe all OEM intakes are restrictive and they believe manufactuer claims. Everyone thinks they're smarter than the manufactuer engineer. If it's ugly and looks restrictive, it must be then.

Last edited by Dave B; 06-23-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Jeff92se

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...kes/index.html

yes it's contradictory to some well known truths. If Tony wasn't involved, I would have dimissed it.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Dave B

What am I missing here? They claim the AEM CAI gained 12whp at peak and power from idle to redline, but when you look at the dyno graph, nothing is labeled. The light blue graph has a substanial "gain" anomoly from 5900rpms to 6600rpms in torque, but it also shows a major torque loss 1000rpms to 4000rpms. The HP comparisons show minimal differences between all three graphs except that the red graph starting loosing power 6000rpms. Am I to assume that's the POP charger graph. Crappy data presentation on their part.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Jeff92se

It's why it would be nice for Tony to chime in. I would have liked to see a SRI like the JWT used since it has a proper velocity stack

Last edited by Jeff92se; 06-29-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM
SniperHunter

****, I spent like an hour trying to find that ImportTuner link, Jeff. Thank you! I knew I saw a full comparison of intakes, just forgot what site it was.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Jairen

I asked Tony to chime in on the article. Haven't seen him give his .2 about it.

Leads me to believe it was just a sponsored article to sell AEM intakes.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Wish i could have looged temps this weekend on Willow springs. Temp was 95 with track temp of 140+, and i wonder what my intake temps were.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
zman_tony310

why not just get a CAI and skip all this mess???
Old 07-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by zman_tony310
why not just get a CAI and skip all this mess???

Probably because most us don't want to loose power from sucking in hot air from the adjacent radiator and a scalding street or run the risk of hydrolock.

Quick Reply: Pop Charger vs heat, tests with OT-2