Pop Charger vs heat, tests with OT-2

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave B
Probably because most us don't want to loose power from sucking in hot air from the adjacent radiator and a scalding street or run the risk of hydrolock.
Can't forget the extra 18 inches of restrictive tubing either.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well been playing with the Cobb tuner on my way to and from work. Colder temps now, still running 7 to 8 degrees hotter than ambient temp. ( even on start, after the car has been sitting in the cold for 10 hours)

I did notice one thing, driving on the freeway and i get next to another car , my intake temps drop to within 1 to 2 degrees of ambient (listed on my OEM display) The disruption of airflow from the other vehicle cause a disruption on my can making me pull cooler air. Time to figure out how to make something work for me.

Also, i'm going to data log on the track (Cal Speedway ) this weekend, just to see what kind of air temps the car pull in a race situation. Coolant and eng temps will be hotter , car at WOT a lot of the time. Last, i should have a Titek duct in the next few weeks, time to see if that helps lower the inlet temps.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I did notice one thing, driving on the freeway and i get next to another car , my intake temps drop to within 1 to 2 degrees of ambient (listed on my OEM display) The disruption of airflow from the other vehicle cause a disruption on my can making me pull cooler air. Time to figure out how to make something work for me.
Interesting... leads me to believe there was a compromise in the placement of the ducting, possibly to get the drag level lower. MPG over Hps. There's no doubt the aerodynamists saw that in the testing.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Last, i should have a Titek duct in the next few weeks, time to see if that helps lower the inlet temps.
Please keep us updated on what happens with this. I have thought about getting this, but hate the appearance for what is essentially an unproven benefit.

However, if you def log consistent lower temps after this is installed, depending on the % of drop, i will buy and install one of these in a heartbeat.

The idea of the duct seems to be perfectly logical for both increased airflow and possibly colder air, but the changes might be very minute...this is what i want to see.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did a fully documented test on that in a thread about a year ago. It doesn't provide any substantial gains. Arguably, it increases air flow at very low speeds. However, I ultimately concluded that the flow profile over the front of the car actually bypasses the vent altogether. There is no "ramming" effect for the air, and the temperature difference is negligible.

I'm interested to see if his results corroborate mine.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by onagao
I actually did a fully documented test on that in a thread about a year ago. It doesn't provide any substantial gains. Arguably, it increases air flow at very low speeds. However, I ultimately concluded that the flow profile over the front of the car actually bypasses the vent altogether. There is no "ramming" effect for the air, and the temperature difference is negligible.

So a small voxtex generator mounted maybe 1 inch below the duct? I bet a piece a 3/8 weatherstripping would work to break the airflow to make the duct effective. Then something permanant later if it works.

Maybe even some stick on clear dots like what would be used for under the glass of a glass topped table.

Last edited by terrasmak; 11-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onagao

These images show why that may be (also helps to explain what Terrasmak saw in temps when behind a car) If you notice, the air tends to follow a straight line while the pressure above tries to hold it to the contours of the car. At the front the air has already begun to "jump" the duct. It would seem the only easy solution would be to create a scoop to grab air, but that would substantially increase the drag of the component.
Attached Thumbnails Pop Charger vs heat, tests with OT-2-nissan_z_fairlady_nismo_9.jpg   Pop Charger vs heat, tests with OT-2-ae_img04.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Zazz93
It would seem the only easy solution would be to create a scoop to grab air, but that would substantially increase the drag of the component.
Scoop or something to disrupt the airflow like i mentioned above. Looks like it may have to wait for a while, got my V2 bumper today and it cam with the nismo duct, guess i'll get to see how and if it helps.