Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Need some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Coehsp350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help/advice

Well i been looking at different exhaust system for my 2006 Touring Z and i have decided to build a custom one. I have a Apexi 3 inch inlet muffler with a 4.5 inch tip. Pretty much the same one as the Apexi Ti Single exhaust. I really want to do 3 inch piping cat-back and i had a few questions.

1. Anyone ever done such a thing and have experience with it?

2. Im trying to find the a decent picture of the under body of the piping to see how the design is.

3.How loud will the exhaust be with just 3 inch piping and stock cats and y-pipe?

Money is a bit tight right now, so i figured i would go a cheaper route instead of buying a 1000$ exhaust system..any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If money was tight, the last thing I'd be spending on is a replacement for the perfectly fine exhaust system on my 350Z. Sheesh, get your priorities straight.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 PM
zaperroni

save yourself the time and hassle and just buy a used exhaust for like $300
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by winchman
If money was tight, the last thing I'd be spending on is a replacement for the perfectly fine exhaust system on my 350Z. Sheesh, get your priorities straight.
Agree.

Members have done custom exhaust yes. Some look great. Some like ghetto mods. Remember $1,500 will get you a polished stainless steal cat back. Just because you cannot see under the car does not mean you should take shortcuts on quality.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Coehsp350Z

Damn, cant even depend on anyone on this forum anymore...Im not getting a knock off, im getting a genuine Apexi Exhaust, i just need advice on the piping for the cat-back...Jeez...I dont need to hear save yourself this save yourself that..If i dont end up liking it, BAM stock exhaust will be thrown back on..Simple as that..
Old 08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
RFortier1796

Originally Posted by Coehsp350Z
Damn, cant even depend on anyone on this forum anymore...Im not getting a knock off, im getting a genuine Apexi Exhaust, i just need advice on the piping for the cat-back...Jeez...I dont need to hear save yourself this save yourself that..If i dont end up liking it, BAM stock exhaust will be thrown back on..Simple as that..
Having talked to a local shop that mostly does Nissans, the reason you don't see a ton of custom jobs like this is that with the VQ, it can be hit and miss with doing a custom job getting the final sound to be good and get a touch of power out of it. I'm thinking about going the same route, only because I've always appreciated the craftsmanship of a small outfit over mass produced systems. But I'm weird like that.

As far as piping size, the bulk of my research on this car has shown that while a three inch pipe on the catback will do for a single, it is better to stick to around 2.75 inch piping off the y-pipe. Keep me updated if you do do this, I'm trying to get as much info on going custom single as possible before deciding it isn't worth it and buying a pre-fabbed system.

I do have to say, I've been a bit surprised for pricing as far as the aftermarket goes on the Zs. I could get a full turboback good for about 20 at the wheels on my last car for 800.

Last edited by RFortier1796; 08-14-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Coehsp350Z

Thank you for the positive reply..As for now i havent gotten a chance to talk to a shop, but we here live in a small town so there are not really any shops that just specialize in Nissan mostly. I know the VQ series is a big hit and miss with sound, this is why i want to do some more research before i jump the boat. If i dont like how the thing sounds, i will throw the stock exhaust back on. This is why i needed someone elses opinion to see if anyone has done this sorta thing before.

Originally Posted by RFortier1796
Having talked to a local shop that mostly does Nissans, the reason you don't see a ton of custom jobs like this is that with the VQ, it can be hit and miss with doing a custom job getting the final sound to be good and get a touch of power out of it. I'm thinking about going the same route, only because I've always appreciated the craftsmanship of a small outfit over mass produced systems. But I'm weird like that.

As far as piping size, the bulk of my research on this car has shown that while a three inch pipe on the catback will do for a single, it is better to stick to around 2.75 inch piping off the y-pipe. Keep me updated if you do do this, I'm trying to get as much info on going custom single as possible before deciding it isn't worth it and buying a pre-fabbed system.

I do have to say, I've been a bit surprised for pricing as far as the aftermarket goes on the Zs. I could get a full turboback good for about 20 at the wheels on my last car for 800.