Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Injen Intake SLOWER

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 05:29 AM
RRT

Angry Injen Intake SLOWER

I need some help here. I just installed an Injen Intake and thought the damn thing would actually help the car... a couple of hp. letīs say 3 or 4. But it did the opposite. The car now is much slower when you press the gas.... until it hits 4,500rpms. This sucks.... Any advices??????

I am about to put the factory one and just change the filter for a K&N and for sure will be better than this Injen.

Old 11-13-2003 | 05:36 AM
FairladyZ

Did you install everything properly? Did you do anything to your maf sensor, like drop it, did something to it when installing the peice the connects to the maf?
Old 11-13-2003 | 05:40 AM
VandyZ

Yeah put the factory airbox back in it. It is ideal for the car anyway. Rams air and pressurizes air box. I only used the upper pipe from Injen for show and smoothness.
Old 11-13-2003 | 06:13 AM
350Z_Redline

I'm with FairladyZ, maybe you messed up your MAF sensor or something. Or maybe you just need to reset the ECU so that it can adjust for it. I have proof (time slips) that it adds power. I picked up ~2mph in the 1/4mi traps after I installed mine.
Old 11-13-2003 | 07:17 AM
bobS

what mods do u have 350zRedline?
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:09 AM
350Z_Redline

Originally posted by bobS
what mods do u have 350zRedline?
Several people have asked me recently so I added my mods list to my sig, see below.
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:23 AM
Z8M

Originally posted by VandyZ
Yeah put the factory airbox back in it. It is ideal for the car anyway. Rams air and pressurizes air box. I only used the upper pipe from Injen for show and smoothness.
I agree, put the stock airbox back. Ramming the air and pressurising it is the key. I had the Nismo CAI, didn't feel any gain. When I inspected the MAF tube, I noticed a layer of oil film inside the tube. I only drove it for about 1000 miles. It scares me to think that it will eventually foul up the sensor over time. I think I will stay away from oil treated filters for now. I like the idea of using the upper pipe for better flow and smoothness.
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:32 PM
iLLestJrz

I had some noticable gains with my Injen Intake. There was probably something wrong with the install like they said.
Old 11-13-2003 | 10:01 PM
zzzya

Was the intake the only change you made? I noticed a slight loss in low end torque when I went to a dual exhaust. The gains in the higher RPMs however outweighed the very low end loss. I would say that you should leave it in for a week and get used to it, then swap back to the stock air box and see what you think. It could all be your mind playing tricks on you. Also make sure everything is properly sealed and tightened down so there are no leaks.
Old 11-13-2003 | 10:49 PM
SilverSpeed

No no no. You don't have a problem. You just need to reset your ECU.
I just put an Injen last Sunday and I was experiencing the same things such as a lot of bogginess and lack of responsiveness.
I reset my ECU last night and my car is back to performing to what
it was and then after about 20 miles of driving your ECU will adjust to your
new Injen CAI and you should start to feel it's effects. Take the negative terminal off of your battery for a minimum of 6 hours to reset the ECU. Reconnect negative and go enjoy yourself!
Old 11-14-2003 | 01:23 AM
joust75

Originally posted by VandyZ

Agreed. Unless you have a G-35 with its restrictive intake, Youd do well to spend money on other mods!!
Old 11-15-2003 | 10:16 AM
mel terrana

You have to let the ECU reset. I experienced the same problem, the car even ran rough at times and I was pissed and I called a fellow Z owner who had switched. His advise was "Disconnet the battery long enough for the ECU to reset. Walla problem gone after about 20 miles. Yes, performance was better.
Old 11-18-2003 | 04:54 AM
RRT

Thank you very much for all the information. I apologyse for not getting back to you sooner but this was a racing weekend for me here in Panama. We got 2nd place ! Great racing day.
Back to the intake: I have connected everything to itīs right place. I will have to agree that at the time I donīt feel the problem as much as the day I installed it. But I donīt want to have to adjust my driving to it but instead make it work properly. The car sure goes faster passing the 4000RPM. I will disconnect the batter long enough for the ECU to reset, and will get back to you.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP
Old 11-18-2003 | 04:57 AM
RRT

Oh.... and this is the only mod I have on my car at the time. I plan to add the true dual borla exhaust for christmas. A present from me to me.....
Old 11-18-2003 | 08:24 AM
SilverSpeed

Dude, you were supposed to do the ECU reset right after putting the CAI in. Good grief!
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:19 AM
RRT

this is something the damn moron that sold me the product should have told me. Dude! But itīs all good now and the car is performing GREAT.

Thank you for the advices once again
Old 11-21-2003 | 03:48 PM
whitetrack

z8m that oil may not be from what you put on the filter. There is a PCV hose that dumps oily gases back into the intake. Do a search for catch can and see what people on this site are doing to clean up this mess. From what I've heard, you will get the sludge even with the stock filter in place.
Old 11-21-2003 | 04:51 PM
woogemooge

isn't there a way to reset the ECU wihtout disconnecting the battery? I vaguely remember someone posting instructionson how to reset the ECU by pressing the gas pedal at a predefined interval and stuff.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:34 PM
Da Gimp

Originally posted by woogemooge
isn't there a way to reset the ECU wihtout disconnecting the battery? I vaguely remember someone posting instructionson how to reset the ECU by pressing the gas pedal at a predefined interval and stuff.
http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm
Old 12-09-2003 | 10:32 AM
jmombour

Is it recommended to perform all of these tasks when re-setting the ECU? That sounds quite an extensive list of things to do to install an Ingen CAI or new exhaust system.

Edit: Or is disconnecting the negative terminal for 6 hours + enough to reset all of this?

Quick Reply: Injen Intake SLOWER