Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N Typhoon Install & Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
sschmuve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does this compare to just using a Popcharger, as far as sound and performance? Would you say they are very close?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
jeffrey

I've never driven a car with the Popcharger, so I can't say performance wise.

But I've heard both up close and IMO the K&N is probably the best sounding CAI.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Sins4u33

no dynos yet??? i am eagerly awaiting!! i am still deciding on my intake.....gruppe m is on the top....heard my friends on his 325XI , it was amazing sounds great! PSSSSSSS when he revs it up......should have intake and exhaust done by spring break....money isn't flowing too well since the holidays hit... but hopefully soon.......dynos please!!

Ben
Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to dyno it... But rite now my car isnt running to great... long story of bad gas etc...

but any way...

the Pop Charger is a bit louder and bigger sounding.. has the same pssssp on the intake when tapping the gass, but is alot fuller sounding.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
ppw350Zunit

bringing this thread back from the dead but did you ever get the k&n typhoon dyno'd?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
blktrack

Anyone have the Stillen Cold Air Intake?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:07 AM
Faluzure

Nice writeup man. But because of what you wrote:

Jason@Performance wrote:
the Pop Charger is a bit louder and bigger sounding.. has the same pssssp on the intake when tapping the gass, but is alot fuller sounding.

I'm am going to have to stick with my popcharger I think. I love the sound of it. I think it's the best bang for the buck.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Skrill

Jason,

Not to hijack the thread -- but I installed a Nismo CAI on my car yesterday. I really like it. But I was wondering ...

Given that the filter sits nice and low and right behind the driver's side reflector -- has anyone thought about replacing those reflectors with just a grill or a duct to help funnel additional cool air to the intake?

I know the air flows into that area through the front grill -- but I was just thinking of how to maximize air flow. Any thoughts?

I started a thread on this topic here -- https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/123257-i-installed-my-nismo-cai-today-questions-on-maximizing-airflow.html
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

if you do that you will be doing nothing but letting the air that is being forced towards the NISMO CAI filter...

sorry...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 PM
ppw350Zunit

hey jason. did you ever dyno the intake system when you had it?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Wotnot

Default well I just went with this intake

I get it installed next week. I baselined my car at 232.4 average in 81F weather on a dynojet.

My car was bone stock. I'm adding some breathing mods listed below next week and I'll post the dynos.

On a related topic, should I reset my ECU after I install intake, headers and exhaust?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:07 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Wotnot
I get it installed next week. I baselined my car at 232.4 average in 81F weather on a dynojet.
My car was bone stock. I'm adding some breathing mods listed below next week and I'll post the dynos.
On a related topic, should I reset my ECU after I install intake, headers and exhaust?
A good thing to note is the actual air intake temp. If you have access to an obd scanner of some sort, go drive around town and on the freeway and take some intake temp measurements. Do this with both the stock intake and your K&N.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the detailed post. The only negative comment about the Typhoon is that it negates use of the tow hook. Some tech inspectors throw a fit if you don't have a tow hook in place.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 PM
MY350Z.COM

moved
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 PM
j66

after reading this post, i wonder if i should get the K&N Typhoon or the K&N Aircharager. which one would produce more power? coz the Aircharger is platic tube. and have rubber heat shield. what do you guys think?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:42 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by j66
after reading this post, i wonder if i should get the K&N Typhoon or the K&N Aircharager. which one would produce more power? coz the Aircharger is platic tube. and have rubber heat shield. what do you guys think?
I personally think that airflow with most of these intakes isn't going to be an issue. Regardless of brand, I imagine they all flow decently. Heck, the stock intake flows pretty darn well on this car, too. The thing I'd pay the most attention to, to be honest, is the intake temperature. Get the filter system which flows well *and* allows the coolest intake temps.

One thing that bugs me about all the dyno testing with different air filters is that they are done with the hood open. This is necessary for heat management in the engine, of course, but it has another side effect: It allows open-style filters that would normally be sucking in hot engine bay air (like the JWT Popcharger) to suck in cooler air instead while the hood is open. This is not indicative of "real life". I've seen tests that show "hot air intakes" in cars suck in substantially hotter air than any cold air intake that is routed outside the engine bay. (The stock intake is effectively a cold air intake in this regard, as its intake temps rival aftermarket cold air intakes.)

I would imagine the K&N Aircharger would be a hot air intake despite its heat shield system. The heat shield may help reduce temps a bit, but I don't think it's going to be as effective as a full cold air intake. The only way to test this is to install the thing in your car, then drive around with an OBD tool hooked up watching your intake temps. Compare that with the stock intake temps. I'd bet money that you see substantially increased intake temps with the Aircharger system. The JWT Popcharger, as another example, is a hot air intake system and shows substantially increased intake temps unti you hit 40 mph or so, then there's enough air flow in the engine bay to drop them down. (Unless you turn on the A/C unit, then it gets really hot in there no matter what you do.) I imagine the Aircharger would be similar.

Bah, probably doesn't matter much, though. Aftermarket intakes on the 350Z are 90% all about the sound, anyway. Buying them only for a power increase is a waste of money. Get them for the sound, which is fantastic.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by jreiter
I personally think that airflow with most of these intakes isn't going to be an issue. Regardless of brand, I imagine they all flow decently. Heck, the stock intake flows pretty darn well on this car, too. The thing I'd pay the most attention to, to be honest, is the intake temperature. Get the filter system which flows well *and* allows the coolest intake temps.

One thing that bugs me about all the dyno testing with different air filters is that they are done with the hood open. This is necessary for heat management in the engine, of course, but it has another side effect: It allows open-style filters that would normally be sucking in hot engine bay air (like the JWT Popcharger) to suck in cooler air instead while the hood is open. This is not indicative of "real life". I've seen tests that show "hot air intakes" in cars suck in substantially hotter air than any cold air intake that is routed outside the engine bay. (The stock intake is effectively a cold air intake in this regard, as its intake temps rival aftermarket cold air intakes.)

I would imagine the K&N Aircharger would be a hot air intake despite its heat shield system. The heat shield may help reduce temps a bit, but I don't think it's going to be as effective as a full cold air intake. The only way to test this is to install the thing in your car, then drive around with an OBD tool hooked up watching your intake temps. Compare that with the stock intake temps. I'd bet money that you see substantially increased intake temps with the Aircharger system. The JWT Popcharger, as another example, is a hot air intake system and shows substantially increased intake temps unti you hit 40 mph or so, then there's enough air flow in the engine bay to drop them down. (Unless you turn on the A/C unit, then it gets really hot in there no matter what you do.) I imagine the Aircharger would be similar.

Bah, probably doesn't matter much, though. Aftermarket intakes on the 350Z are 90% all about the sound, anyway. Buying them only for a power increase is a waste of money. Get them for the sound, which is fantastic.
i concur...