Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

I installed my Nismo CAI today ... questions on maximizing airflow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Skrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I installed my Nismo CAI today ... questions on maximizing airflow.

Given that the filter sits nice and low and right behind the driver's side reflector -- has anyone thought about replacing those reflectors with just a grill or a duct to help funnel additional cool air to the intake?

I know the air flows into that area through the front grill -- but I was just thinking of how to maximize air flow. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:30 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i have read that if the air around the filter is too turbulent, it will not be sucking air in an optimal environment.....i guess if the air is moving too much it will create pressure areas around the filter.

personally i think the filter is getting plenty of air, but if you want give it some more, there is a black plastic thingy somewhere in between the filter and the radiatior that can be removed. someone here posted a thread about this a month or two ago....
Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Lerxst

I'd be interested in seeing pics of that... I'm plugging the vents in the wheel skirt to try and keep the filter cleaner longer.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 AM
zzzya

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
i have read that if the air around the filter is too turbulent, it will not be sucking air in an optimal environment.....i guess if the air is moving too much it will create pressure areas around the filter.

personally i think the filter is getting plenty of air, but if you want give it some more, there is a black plastic thingy somewhere in between the filter and the radiatior that can be removed. someone here posted a thread about this a month or two ago....
This theory would be true if the engine wasn't sucking the air into the intake thus creating a vaccum at the filter area. Gases will go from an area of higher pressure to lower pressure. Once that engine is started, the vaccum exists and as the rpms go up it becomes hungrier so the more air the better. The one thing to watch out with blocking any vents in the wheel area is air flow to the brakes.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 AM
sisco534

It's kinda hard to find but I cut it off right after I bought the car I was looking of ways to get more air in there like ram air its only about 3 inch by 3 inch but opens air from from off radiator into the fender well
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the front bumper. Initial D. They have a big open area right at the filter.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Skrill

I will be keeping the stock bumper. I have an oil cooler and p/s cooler that need air as well.

Plus -- I don't really like the look of aftermarket bumpers.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by zzzya
This theory would be true if the engine wasn't sucking the air into the intake thus creating a vaccum at the filter area. Gases will go from an area of higher pressure to lower pressure. Once that engine is started, the vaccum exists and as the rpms go up it becomes hungrier so the more air the better. The one thing to watch out with blocking any vents in the wheel area is air flow to the brakes.
you are correct about the vacuum effect, and more air = better. however, take the CAI that positions the filter right infront of the radiator (AEM i think?). at very high speeds and high RPMs when the engire is sucking like a $2 hooka there has to be some very turbulent areas around that filter. i mean the point of the filter is to have a very high surface area to suck lots of air. now lets say you were doing 120mph with that certain intake. the air would flow very quickly and violently around the filter, creating drag and very unequal pressure (i.e low pressure on the back side). now i dont know much about air flow dynamics, but just by doing this "thought experiement" it seems less ideal than a filter that sits inside of the bumper and is fed air in a much less turbulent way.

just a thought...its an intake anyways....heheh

Harv