Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Need help with the Difference of These Exhausts. Buying Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
TheCanuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the Difference of These Exhausts. Buying Today

Hey Guys so I am going to purchase a new exhaust as soon as I get some help from you guys ( hopefully by today ). I am already sold the on x02 exhaust and want to make sure I am buying the correct one off of eBay. Also I was thinking about rolling with megan test pipes. I have heard good and bad things about them, I don't want to pay high dollar for test pipes. If there is a better alternative then I would really like to know for price/quality wise.

Here are the links I would like some of you to check out and make sure this is the correct exhaust.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-08...ht_5656wt_1026

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...#ht_5330wt_970

^This one says it will not fit 2007... I have a 2007 350z Nismo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GODSP...ht_4715wt_1009

Is God Speed still x02?

Just need some help with all these options... Thanks guys!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
RFortier1796

All three of them are basically the same, just come in different boxes. As far as Megan Racing goes, I had a buddy who went to SEMA this year, and he said he was very, very impressed with the new Megan offerings, and that none of it was the same eBay junk they used to put out.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had given me some more time. I could have helped you out. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
TheCanuck

Originally Posted by RFortier1796
All three of them are basically the same, just come in different boxes. As far as Megan Racing goes, I had a buddy who went to SEMA this year, and he said he was very, very impressed with the new Megan offerings, and that none of it was the same eBay junk they used to put out.
Thanks for the input man. Is it the new Megan V2's or what exactly are the new models?
Originally Posted by kacz07
If you had given me some more time. I could have helped you out. Good luck.
are you about to sell your exhaust?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Megan V2 test pipes are great, no problems with mine. Then they exhaust all listed are basically X02
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
zaperroni

Please don't put that on the nismo.
Get an hks if you like the look, but I never was a fan of buying exhaust systems based off of looks.
YouTube different systems and find which one sounds the best.
There are used, name brand, systems for cheap.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

x02 doesnt sound that great imo. I owned 1 for about 2 weeks. It was mehh
Old 12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just be careful of fitment on a NISMO...due to the longer bumper
Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

btw your new ebay exhaust will not fit straight, do not set yourself up to drop off and pick up with bolt on in mind, It will need to be heated and bent to fit, and this will discolor some of the piping, but its far under the car.
I had one.
They lined it up and rebent it for 100 bucks. Also get urethane hangers or it will move and hit your bumpers.
best advice I can give.. ten to one youll just read this and say " well maybe yours was bent, but mine will be perfect".. im telling ya, it wont fit right, but it can be fixed.

Sorry.

Last edited by bmccann101; 12-08-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

oh, and its loud, farty. and drones badly on the highway. Your nice NISMO car sound is now gone. But youre right, it looks cool. The H pipe is a waste,and it needs the magnaflow x pipe mod BADLY! I will be doing that very very soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
TheCanuck

To be honest looks aren't that important, I really don't think the nismo sounds that good. I also think the muffler looks really cheap and ugly. I listened to all the sound clips on the youtube.com and I think the x02 is alright. I am just loving the fact it's a performance exhaust for 350$. I have never had any car part fit correctly, if I ever did I would crap myself. The stillen intakes where the worst fitment I have ever seen, but we made it work. I am fine if they have to cut, weld, refit its fine.

Thanks for all the heads up though guys, but like I said I am almost already completely sold on it. If some one has a suggestion to point me in the direction of the best place to buy this exhaust. Will I get the same thing if I order from a different place? anyone have any input on this?

I am working towards a TT kit so honestly dropping 1,200 on an exhaust is really silly to me, especially when this one copied a great one... in the end they are pipes...

Last edited by TheCanuck; 12-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by zaperroni
Please don't put that on the nismo.
Get an hks if you like the look, but I never was a fan of buying exhaust systems based off of looks.
YouTube different systems and find which one sounds the best.
There are used, name brand, systems for cheap.
Originally Posted by TheCanuck
To be honest looks aren't that important, I really don't think the nismo sounds that good. I also think the muffler looks really cheap and ugly. I listened to all the sound clips on the youtube.com and I think the x02 is alright. I am just loving the fact it's a performance exhaust for 350$. I have never had any car part fit correctly, if I ever did I would crap myself. The stillen intakes where the worst fitment I have ever seen, but we made it work. I am fine if they have to cut, weld, refit its fine.

Thanks for all the heads up though guys, but like I said I am almost already completely sold on it. If some one has a suggestion to point me in the direction of the best place to buy this exhaust. Will I get the same thing if I order from a different place? anyone have any input on this?

I am working towards a TT kit so honestly dropping 1,200 on an exhaust is really silly to me, especially when this one copied a great one... in the end they are pipes...
https://my350z.com/forum/texas-marketplace-469/
Probably won't find an x02, but there are better ones to be had. Either way, GL. Just my .02
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
TheCanuck

Originally Posted by abarclay
https://my350z.com/forum/texas-marketplace-469/
Probably won't find an x02, but there are better ones to be had. Either way, GL. Just my .02
Thanks man I didn't know there was a local classifieds, I am forum handicapped lol! I'll keep an eye out but I just don't trust used exhausts. I watch my buddies with g's bottom out and I can only imagine what an exhaust with 10k miles on it has gone through.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCanuck
Thanks man I didn't know there was a local classifieds, I am forum handicapped lol! I'll keep an eye out but I just don't trust used exhausts. I watch my buddies with g's bottom out and I can only imagine what an exhaust with 10k miles on it has gone through.
you are better off buying a used name brand quality exhaust then a cheap new one... trust me. By the time you make the X02 fit you will be at teh same price as a better exhaust... and the X02 will rust through in a year if you DD your car. I have seen it happen twice.

If you are still set on the X02 get ceramic exhaust spray coating and coat the exhaust before you install it. It will help delay the rusting.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
TheDangerZone

I had an HKS with a magnaflow xpipe at one point, best exhaust I had until i got tanabe medalion. stockish looks and nice subtle sound. Good alternative to the nismo exhaust being midpipe and muffler. Y-pipe is seperate.
Muffler pic
Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
dwrecckk

I really feel like there should be a sticky about HKS Replica exhausts. There are SO many of these threads in this section and on G driver. They all discuss exactly the same things. The information has been repeated so many times, i feel as though my350z would benefit from just tabulating the information and putting in as a sticky in this section.

That being said...I have an HKS Replica with an X-pipe. I view the X pipe as a mandatory modification when buying this exhaust. An exhaust shop will have to heat up and bend the hangers to get this to fit. You might as well order the X pipe and have them weld it in at the same time. This exhaust is large. 2.5" true dual in diameter. Bigger than the real HKS and makes more power as well. That being said, the H pipe resonators SUCK. The exhaust is very loud, not in a good way. It is loud in a...this exhaust's resonators are not doing ANYTHING kind of way. Its the same kind of sound you get when putting overly large piping on a small displacement car. It's like a 3" exhaust on a 1.6l honda kind of sound. It's pretty offensive. I thought I would be able to tolerate it without the X pipe, but I drove the car for about 5 minutes before heading back home and ordering the X pipe. It sounds pretty horrible and loses low end torque in the process. The X-pipe will return a lot of the VQ warble and actually increases the low end punch as well. I do feel as the exhaust with X pipe makes more power than the exhaust without it. I drove the car in total for about a week while I was waiting for my X pipe to arrive. I could set off entire rows of car alarms with ease and pretty much everyone turned to check out who was making that ridiculous amount of noise. I've had many very loud cars, including a WRX with full 3" piping with no cats, so I have no problems with a lot of noise, but it was simply the kind of noise that this exhaust put out that I could not stand at all. It sounded like a V6 mustang with no exhaust. Again, that being said, I do believe it sounds absolutely beautiful with the X-pipe, it is a night and day difference. Jairen has a picture of the H pipe cut out of the exhaust, and you can see the perforated core resonators wearing out already after only 1000-2000 miles, the H-pipe is total crap, you can tell the resonators do basically nothing.

So all in all.
350 for the exhaust
85 for X pipe
65 for Welding in X pipe and bending pipes

You're looking for about 500 total for a great NEW exhaust. Granted, the tips are ugly, but it doesn't bother me, I am happy with what I got for the price. You can opt for Titanium bolt ons that are about 100, or just weld on the stock tips, which I think looks great. The fact that this exhaust needs an X pipe is not at all a negative, when you consider people buy HKS's and Borla exhausts for nearly 1000 dollars and STILL have to weld in X-pipes to reduce the drone and improve sound quality. I have heard various things about rust, but I live in california where there is no snow and no salt on the roads so I have zero worries. Yes fitment issues, yes shitty sound, but also yes big gains in power. Anyone that say they don't notice a difference in power with this exhaust needs to retune their butt dyno. It's a really good deal. There are lot of name brand dissenters that would eat their words if they could hear and drive my car. I was just at the track a few weekends ago and there were two guys with real HKS's, they looked exactly the same and a guy with a Z actually said that he thought mine sounded much better than his and I wholeheartedly agreed.

Last edited by dwrecckk; 12-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM
dwrecckk

Originally Posted by Barnabas
you are better off buying a used name brand quality exhaust then a cheap new one... trust me. By the time you make the X02 fit you will be at teh same price as a better exhaust... and the X02 will rust through in a year if you DD your car. I have seen it happen twice.

If you are still set on the X02 get ceramic exhaust spray coating and coat the exhaust before you install it. It will help delay the rusting.
It's 20 dollars to bend the hangers. You can buy this in Socal on craigslist for 300 out the door. What name brand exhaust you going to get for 320 dollars? Rust may be an issue on the east coast, but not in socal. Tons of name brand exhausts are worse, drone more, and make less power.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
TheCanuck

Originally Posted by dwrecckk
I really feel like there should be a sticky about HKS Replica exhausts. There are SO many of these threads in this section and on G driver. They all discuss exactly the same things. The information has been repeated so many times, i feel as though my350z would benefit from just tabulating the information and putting in as a sticky in this section.

That being said...I have an HKS Replica with an X-pipe. I view the X pipe as a mandatory modification when buying this exhaust. An exhaust shop will have to heat up and bend the hangers to get this to fit. You might as well order the X pipe and have them weld it in at the same time. This exhaust is large. 2.5" true dual in diameter. Bigger than the real HKS and makes more power as well. That being said, the H pipe resonators SUCK. The exhaust is very loud, not in a good way. It is loud in a...this exhaust's resonators are not doing ANYTHING kind of way. Its the same kind of sound you get when putting overly large piping on a small displacement car. It's like a 3" exhaust on a 1.6l honda kind of sound. It's pretty offensive. I thought I would be able to tolerate it without the X pipe, but I drove the car for about 5 minutes before heading back home and ordering the X pipe. It sounds pretty horrible and loses low end torque in the process. The X-pipe will return a lot of the VQ warble and actually increases the low end punch as well. I do feel as the exhaust with X pipe makes more power than the exhaust without it. I drove the car in total for about a week while I was waiting for my X pipe to arrive. I could set off entire rows of car alarms with ease and pretty much everyone turned to check out who was making that ridiculous amount of noise. I've had many very loud cars, including a WRX with full 3" piping with no cats, so I have no problems with a lot of noise, but it was simply the kind of noise that this exhaust put out that I could not stand at all. It sounded like a V6 mustang with no exhaust. Again, that being said, I do believe it sounds absolutely beautiful with the X-pipe, it is a night and day difference. Jairen has a picture of the H pipe cut out of the exhaust, and you can see the perforated core resonators wearing out already after only 1000-2000 miles, the H-pipe is total crap, you can tell the resonators do basically nothing.

So all in all.
350 for the exhaust
85 for X pipe
65 for Welding in X pipe and bending pipes

You're looking for about 500 total for a great NEW exhaust. Granted, the tips are ugly, but it doesn't bother me, I am happy with what I got for the price. You can opt for Titanium bolt ons that are about 100, or just weld on the stock tips, which I think looks great. The fact that this exhaust needs an X pipe is not at all a negative, when you consider people buy HKS's and Borla exhausts for nearly 1000 dollars and STILL have to weld in X-pipes to reduce the drone and improve sound quality. I have heard various things about rust, but I live in california where there is no snow and no salt on the roads so I have zero worries. Yes fitment issues, yes shitty sound, but also yes big gains in power. Anyone that say they don't notice a difference in power with this exhaust needs to retune their butt dyno. It's a really good deal. There are lot of name brand dissenters that would eat their words if they could hear and drive my car. I was just at the track a few weekends ago and there were two guys with real HKS's, they looked exactly the same and a guy with a Z actually said that he thought mine sounded much better than his and I wholeheartedly agreed.
Thanks for the very nice review. I could always get the X pipe and I have thought about doing this. Before I found this exhaust I planned on custom straight pipes all the way back. I am still very young so how loud the car is doesn't really phase me, but like you said I still have a strong alternative if need be.

Covering the exhaust with a spray sounds like a smart idea. Thanks for that thought! I know everyone wants to bang on this exhaust but I mean really they are metal pipes, thats it. People have had issues with 1,300 exhausts not fitting right, it can be fixed.

If you guys don't mind can you let me know where you ordered your x02 exhaust from?

I am also in Texas, and we don't really have snow. The chances of the exhaust rusting is low. If it doesn't effect performance I really don't mind. My nismo exhaust is already rusted, it came from up north.
With the money saved I'll be able to buy my girlfriend a radar, headers, catback, and CAI. Or I can buy a name brand exhaust, the pros out weight the negatives.

Last edited by TheCanuck; 12-08-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
TheDangerZone

This is why all the legit companies that put mucho dinero into R&D and marketing keep raising their prices or leave close their US branches. companies like xo2, topspeed etc let other's do the work, make a knock off and sell their low quality items at half the cost. Pretty soon, they won't have any companies to copy parts off of.

BTW, I heard HKS is raising their prices soon.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM
TheCanuck

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
This is why all the legit companies that put mucho dinero into R&D and marketing keep raising their prices or leave close their US branches. companies like xo2, topspeed etc let other's do the work, make a knock off and sell their low quality items at half the cost. Pretty soon, they won't have any companies to copy parts off of.

BTW, I heard HKS is raising their prices soon.
I agree, but if they made such a far more superior exhaust they wouldn't have to worry about things like that. At the same time I understand your point and I agree it sucks for the companies. But if I supported everyone who I thought should get my money I wouldn't own a nismo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xU7MLbc-eY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WsfoYxCAs

Honestly I like the first one that x pipe makes a hell of a difference though.

I am not here to start trouble, I just want to know where I can order my knock off exhaust and if anyone has a preferred location to order from.

Last edited by TheCanuck; 12-08-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with the Difference of These Exhausts. Buying Today