Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

K&N - My Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:14 AM
vincenzobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my car inside and out I spend 4 hours minimum a day in it. If i say it increased power and smoothed the rpm band then it did FOR MY car!
Old 11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ok

Originally posted by vincenzobar
I know my car inside and out I spend 4 hours minimum a day in it. If i say it increased power and smoothed the rpm band then it did FOR MY car!

Okaaaaay.

Old 11-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Boomer

Default Re: K&N - My Goodness

Originally posted by vincenzobar
Well As you can see by my sig I am not very wealthy!!!

So my mods are very little to none and what i do have are upgrades of OEM.

I bought the K&N filter because i am bad about the filter. I alwaysd forget its there, hehe! well i installed it and ran it because it says to increase HP. I was like, Yeah Right!!

I went for a test drive and.... Holy crap! it did. The car ran/accelerated smoother and faster at high-end! Believe me or not i know what i felt. Definetely worth the 44 bux and since there is all this mixed controversey about CAI and such i figure this is the way to go! AND I WAS RIGHT!!

Now all i need is an ECU Flash and my car will run the way it was suppose to run from the factory

Grounding Kit + K&N Filter + TS ECU Flash = how the 350Z was suppose to be sold
I've run dropin K&N filters on my last 2 cars and never experienced the oiling some have noticed. However, the hp increase was elusive. It "sounded" better and I liked that, but more hp? I don't know.

The only objective test between K&N and stock I know of was conducted by Car and Driver several years ago. They tested an Integra under identical conditions and ran .2 sec faster w/K&N than the stock filter. They hastened to say their test was not scientific, but they did get a small increase in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on the same day with the same driver, identical conditions, etc.

I thought my cars sounded better with the K&N and saved some $ in the long run. More hp, maybe, maybe not. And with the location of the stock filter, its a straight shot to the engine and I like the way the car sounds right now, dead stock. I also don't need troubles w/the MAF either.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-26-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Tzagi

Nobody seems to know why k&n was invented in the first place.....I wasnt to make more power!
Lets go back in time to the early 70's Baja racing scene........paper filters were geting cloged like crazy......then came k&n,the filter that will not get cloged by dust!......why you ask, it had bigger holes thru the fabric and relied on the oil to catch contaminants....it actualy filters better when dirty due to the dirt cloging the larger pores.
can it suply more air then a paper filter of the same size?....yes.
can it produce more power? maybe....lets say your old filter was cloged up and you put in the k&n and gosh....the car has all this power now!.....how else will you explain it???
The bottom line is it will provide more air then a stock paper filter at the expanse of engine life as it allowes larger particals to enter the engine.....your choice!.......theoretical 7 hp and sand on the cylinder walls......is it realy worth it???
Old 11-27-2003, 06:50 AM
Z Monster

I use a K&N strictly with the goal of decreasing pressure drop in the intake box to potentially increase throttle response and high rpm airflow. MAF oiling in a shielded hotwire design is going to take a stupid amount of oil. If you install a dripping filter, you deserve what you get. I believe the filtration size of oiled stratified cotton is about 5 microns vs 2-3 of paper. BMC filters are supposed to get filtration down to 3 microns, FWIW.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:25 AM
danotto

I use this drop in filter. The best one I have ever used. PERIOD.

http://gcaindustries.com/

Last edited by danotto; 11-27-2003 at 11:27 AM.