Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

350z Motordyne MREV 2 Manifold, anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by broderickgil
I have a 04 350z will I need to replace my hood? and will I experience these "20hp" gains with a nonrevup ?
No hood replacement needed, you will get some nice gains from a spacers , but for max gains you will need a tune.

With or without a tune , a spacer is a nice power adder on the DE motor.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by broderickgil
I have a 04 350z will I need to replace my hood? and will I experience these "20hp" gains with a nonrevup ?
No and no.

The spacer, by itself, makes the gains as shown in these dyno plots.
This was an independent comparison performed by Nissan Sport Magazine
http://www.motordyneengineering.com/...pID=7&CDpath=0

All of these tests were without a tune.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-12-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The spacer by itself on the non revup engine with no tune.

This is the absolute gain.

This is the comparative gain of the various plenum modifications tested.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
PolskaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my MREV2 on my 2006 RevUp engine for about a year now. I didn't go with the spacer since most of the gains on a RevUp come with just the MREV2 and the spacer only adds a bit to the top end, which for a daily driver isn't worth the cost and need to be constantly nearing red line to see those modest gains. That's my opinion based on a lot of studying of Tony's dyno graphs and e-mails sent to him.

With that said, the gains are definitely there but not significant in my opinion. I was expecting more and to be honest was a bit disappointed. The most noticeable improvement is felt at 3000 RPM plus or minus 500 RPM. The car breaths easier and pulls stronger than stock, plus you can actually hear it. A year later, that is the only thing I still notice about this mod. All other gains at different RPMs have been psychologically removed. You know, the kind of gains you notice for the first couple of days and then you just get used to them.

For the price, is it worth it? Sure. Especially if you do the installation yourself, like I did. Is it going to have that lasting wow factor? Probably not. Just have low expectations going into it and you'll be happy.

FYI, my only other mod is a JWT pop charger.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PolskaZ
I've had my MREV2 on my 2006 RevUp engine for about a year now. I didn't go with the spacer since most of the gains on a RevUp come with just the MREV2 and the spacer only adds a bit to the top end, which for a daily driver isn't worth the cost and need to be constantly nearing red line to see those modest gains. That's my opinion based on a lot of studying of Tony's dyno graphs and e-mails sent to him.

With that said, the gains are definitely there but not significant in my opinion. I was expecting more and to be honest was a bit disappointed. The most noticeable improvement is felt at 3000 RPM plus or minus 500 RPM. The car breaths easier and pulls stronger than stock, plus you can actually hear it. A year later, that is the only thing I still notice about this mod. All other gains at different RPMs have been psychologically removed. You know, the kind of gains you notice for the first couple of days and then you just get used to them.

For the price, is it worth it? Sure. Especially if you do the installation yourself, like I did. Is it going to have that lasting wow factor? Probably not. Just have low expectations going into it and you'll be happy.

FYI, my only other mod is a JWT pop charger.
Butt dynos work both ways, then, I guess. I don't understand your decision to omit the spacer....

But regarding the inherent value of the DIY install, I couldn't agree more.

As far as the reality of the gains go, I went ahead and dyno'd my car before and after the MREV2 and 5/16" spacer way back when I installed them; the gains were nearly identical to the ones claimed by Motordyne and posted by Tony here on the forums.

I'd take any non-quantitative assessment of performance gains (claiming big OR small) with a very large grain of salt, as we're talking science here. Either the gains are there or they aren't, and we either care if they're real or we don't. In this case, they're just as real as they're being claimed. That kind of consistency (and advertising integrity, really) is one of the reasons I hold Motordyne in the highest regard.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by this thread... I sort of thought the gains from this mod combination was a widely accepted fact.

Last edited by onagao; 12-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
PolskaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onagao
Butt dynos work both ways, then, I guess. I don't understand your decision to omit the spacer....
Because, at about 5200 RPM and above, the MREV2 plus spacer combo actually starts seeing better gains. Until then, the power curve is actually better with JUST the MREV2. And it's not until about 6000 RPM that you see a +4 HP difference. That's not my butt dyno talking, that's a dyno graph directly from MD's web site:

Plus, I talked to Tony about it beforehand. He agreed with me that as a daily driver without constant redline running, there is no need for the spacer. Plus funds were low at the time so I got the best bang for my RevUp buck.

And I totally agree with you about holding MD to the highest regard. There is a reason I just installed ART pipes on my Z over the weekend with 20 degree weather and snow on the ground. I couldn't wait to put them on. And I'm in the process of buying the Shockwave TDX V2 system from them as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good decision, and i agree, never spoke with anyone so willing to keep talking with someone not yet ready to buy.

On the non rev up motors, i believe the deltas showed the MREV2 is better with the spacer, but not so with the revups.