Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Stock vs High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
BiffRocko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs High Flow Cats

Just bought my Z last night and the guy has Invidia test pipes on it. He's including the stock cats in the purchase. It's a bit too loud for my taste with the test pipes, so I plan to put cats back on it.

This car is my daily driver. I'm not planning on racing it or taking it to the track (well, maybe once or twice just for the hell of it). I'm wondering if the performance gain with high flow cats versus the stock cats is worth the $350 I'd pay for the high flows.

Any opinions?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Sam Mcgoo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BiffRocko
Just bought my Z last night and the guy has Invidia test pipes on it. He's including the stock cats in the purchase. It's a bit too loud for my taste with the test pipes, so I plan to put cats back on it.

This car is my daily driver. I'm not planning on racing it or taking it to the track (well, maybe once or twice just for the hell of it). I'm wondering if the performance gain with high flow cats versus the stock cats is worth the $350 I'd pay for the high flows.

Any opinions?
If your running the stock ecu and it hasn't been remapped (ie UpRev)for the test pipes then there will be little or no change in power.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With high flow catalytic converters vs OEM catalytic converters you might see a 1 percent gain in peak horsepower. Is that worth $350 to you?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:29 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

my test pipes made quite a difference ( pure butt dyno of course) over the stock cats.. , but from what i hear and read here, stock cats vs hfcs are a very close mix.. not much difference.

Sounds like you jsut dont like the test pipes.. in that case id jsut put the normal cats back on.

But give it a month, you may end up liking the sound better than you do now..... i hated mine the first week, now not so bad.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
my test pipes made quite a difference ( pure butt dyno of course) over the stock cats.
Butt dyno is just you feeling the weight reduction of a lighter wallet. I'd be surprised if almost any of the NA bolt ons made a measurable difference on a real dyno without a tune. I'm more sceptical that it would make a difference that you could actually feel when driving the car.

Without tuning for the change, I look at NA bolt ons as "sound/tone" upgrades and not as "performance" upgrades.

OP, if you don't like the sound, change back out. You won't notice a difference.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 04-22-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM
BiffRocko

I don't think the previous owner touched the ECU. I sent him a text to confirm though. Waiting to hear back.

$350 isn't worth the minimal, if any, power increase to me. The test pipes are just so loud they make the inside of my head throb....lol

Stock cats it is then. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I don't think the previous owner touched the ECU. I sent him a text to confirm though. Waiting to hear back.
It's worth checking to see if he flashed the ecu with a tune, just to make sure. This is only because if he went through the trouble of a tune specific to the setup with the TP's you may end up running very rich by switching back to the factory cats.

If he never touched the ECU, you have zero to worry about. Swap back out, pocket the money, and enjoy the sound you're looking for.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
BiffRocko

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
If he never touched the ECU, you have zero to worry about. Swap back out, pocket the money, and enjoy the sound you're looking for.
Indeed. I want to take off the 20's he has on it and put 18's on instead. The $350 sounds like it's much better spent there.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Indeed. I want to take off the 20's he has on it and put 18's on instead. The $350 sounds like it's much better spent there.
Funny thing is that you may pick up more performance by dropping to a lighter wheel and tire by going from 20's to 18's than you'd ever pick up from the TP's vs stock cats (especially if they are heavy/blingy/chrome 20's).

Post em both up on the private classifieds on here. You may even want to post the wheels/tires up in your local region as a FT (for trade). Do you know what brand/style/size the wheels & tires are?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:14 PM
BiffRocko

The tires are Falkens. That's all I know at this point. I pick the car up tomorrow. I'll post the deets once I get it.

Edit: I think these are the rims: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-tir...ed%20Blue.html

Last edited by BiffRocko; 04-22-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:17 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Cool. Congrats, man. You're lucky that you're in CA. There are always crazy good deals on used stuff out there. Keep your eyes out on the Private Marketplace and you can get some great deals if you're patient.

The vendors on here are also great and are always helpful when it comes to questions, etc. - so I try to pay them back by sending them my business as well.

Welcome to the community!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM
BiffRocko

Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for deals.

Just heard back. No ECU changes, so it's probably running rich with the test pipes.

Last edited by BiffRocko; 04-22-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: corrected assumption that it was running lean to it running rich
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
mr-mike

It's worth checking to see if he flashed the ecu with a tune, just to make sure. This is only because if he went through the trouble of a tune specific to the setup with the TP's you may end up running lean by switching back to the factory cats.
Please explain the running lean comment? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:18 PM
CTZ860

Originally Posted by mr-mike
Please explain the running lean comment? Thanks.
No expert on this but if he re-mapped the ECU for the TP's more than likely he made it run a little leaner. Lean means that your engine is getting less fuel but more air. In combination with the TP I am guessing that that made an increase a little in power. However, running an engine too lean or even lean for that matter can be damaging. One reason is that it would run hotter.
If he did re-tune the ecu then you don't want to go and throw OEM setup on there and have it stay lean as this could be damaging.
On the other hand, a car can run rich which would mean its using too much fuel which can clog it up I believe. (i.e Bogging down etc etc....)
I think I hit that on a real broad, general level. Hopefully someone can confirm/add to what I said.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 PM
mr-mike

The man stated that switching to a more restrictive exhaust would induce a lean condition. This is what I would like to understand.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by CTZ860
I think I hit that on a real broad, general level. Hopefully someone can confirm/add to what I said.
I corrected my statement above & this one - my bad.

If tuned, it would have been tuned to a richer AFR with the Test Pipes. This is because the TP are less restriction, which means more airflow, which means without a tune, test pipes would run lean. If you tune it richer to make up for the TP, when you put it back to stock cats, the tune would be much richer than it was originally. (You get more power tuning on the leaner side which was made possible reducing restriction.) I'm not going to get into the details of stoich and air fuel ratios.

However, the car was not tuned for the TPs. So it is probably currently running a little lean because there are test pipes in place, which means less restriction, but no tune for the change. Luckily, the stock tune is somewhat on the rich side. Switching back to the stock cats (which the factory tune expects) will bring the car's setup back in line with the stock tune.

Stock Tune
-----------
Stock Cats = Good AFR
Test Pipes = Lean AFR

Lean Tune for TPs
------------------
Test Pipes = Good AFR
Stock Cats = Rich AFR

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by mr-mike
The man stated that switching to a more restrictive exhaust would induce a lean condition. This is what I would like to understand.

Thanks.
Corrected. It would actually be running lean right now.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
BiffRocko

Thanks for the correction. I edited my post.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 PM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. If tuned, it would have been tuned to a leaner AFR with the Test Pipes. This is because the TP are less restriction, which means more airflow, which means without a tune, test pipes would run rich. If you tune it leaner to make up for the TP, when you put it back to stock cats, the tune would be much leaner than it was originally. (You get more power tuning on the leaner side which was made possible reducing restriction.) I'm not going to get into the details of stoich and air fuel ratios.

However, the car was not tuned for the TPs. So it is probably currently running a little rich because there are test pipes in place, which means less restriction, but no tune for the change. Switching back to the stock cats (which the factory tune expects) will bring the car's setup back in line with the stock tune.

Stock Tune
-----------
Stock Cats = Good AFR
Test Pipes = Rich AFR

Lean Tune for TPs
------------------
Test Pipes = Good AFR
Stock Cats = Lean AFR
Isn't the above incorrect?

Wouldn't a stock tune with test pipes cause engine to run lean and tuned for test pipes then switching to stock cats cause you to run rich?

Last edited by pss350z; 05-08-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by pss350z
Isn't the above incorrect?
Wouldn't a stock tune with test pipes cause engine to run lean and tuned for test pipes then switching to stock cats cause you to run rich?
I'm basing what I said off of the Cipher logs that I've seen on my car with test pipes, but I'm no pro tuner either. I'm fairly new to tuning. Maybe the stock tune is just so naturally rich that I was still rich even after the swap?

I went back and corrected my post above. Adding TP's will push you to the lean side, but in my case, the stock tune was so rich that I was still seeing rich AFR numbers in areas of my tune even with the TP's.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-08-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock vs High Flow Cats