Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Tried everything for CEL fix...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
nismomike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried everything for CEL fix...

on my test pipes. I tried foulers (2 on each side), stuffed the foulers with brillo, and even ordered the "j bend" extenders that gtm uses...cel still comes on? I am thinking of putting more brillo in with the j bend foulers because the brillo seems to give me the most "longetivity." I don't have anyone near 200 miles from me to turn off the code via my uprev tune. Is there anything else I can do? So frustrated
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if your osiris tuned i deleted my CEL for the cats
Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 PM
nismomike

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
if your osiris tuned i deleted my CEL for the cats
I am osiris tuned..I had HFC's when I had the tune, and even still, the cel never came on for the hfc even before the tune..should I go and see my tuner that did it, and have him turn it off. I ASSUME its the code for the cats, my cars only got 14k miles on it, what else would it be? Thanks for the input man!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Z PHAT Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First get the code to make sure what it is.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to stuff really well with the brillo. I mean really well. I am still working on a permenant fix for this but the brillo will net the best results for now. Just stuff till you can barely blow thru the holes and leave the non foulers out.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

djamps has shown in the tuning sub-forum that the 02 non-foulers and similar fixes will impact your fuel compensation and tune. It used to be commonly accepted that the lower 02 sensors didn't impact the ECU's handling of fuel, but he has a lot of logging info that shows otherwise.

I would suggest that you first go have the code checked to make sure that the CEL is actually O2 sensor related and isn't something else.

If the CEL is in fact only for your lower O2 sensors (TPs & CATs), have your tuner disable the codes from your Osiris tune. It's as easy as two checkboxes and a reflash.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-30-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Who tuned your car, nismomike? If it was Function....they are out of business now. I can tell you what code it is and erase it for you if you wish. I cannot, however, disable that cel code. You can try to call Hills or one of the other uprev tuners in the area for that.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Who tuned your car, nismomike? If it was Function....they are out of business now.
Ouch, I hope that's not the case. Was it a full dyno tune, or just an e-tune?

If a dyno tune - it would be a long shot, but I'd try to see if anyone from there happens to have a copy of the ROM file from your tune. Then see if UpRev can transfer your license to a different certified Osiris tuner's cable. Otherwise, you may be looking at a tune from scratch again. You can delete the CEL code/indicator with Cipher, but to disable it from showing up again, you have to use Osiris to reflash the ECU (which means UpRev license and ROM file).
Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
nismomike

It was a full dyno tune. I can message the tuner and see if he has it, but Idk..hes hard to get in touch with, but I can get in touch with. I have since stuffed with more brillo pad. We will see what happens. I really do not want to have to pay 500 more dollars for a retune. I know its the CEL code from the test pipes being thrown because its so consistant with the miles that I put on after resetting the ecu via disconnecting the battery. Comes on after 50 ish miles, sometimes after 150 if I leave my house and go a on a long trip without stopping. Either way, Dave, at function tuned told me he could go into the uprev and disable the code for me for free..just tryin to get ahold of him.

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Ouch, I hope that's not the case. Was it a full dyno tune, or just an e-tune?

If a dyno tune - it would be a long shot, but I'd try to see if anyone from there happens to have a copy of the ROM file from your tune. Then see if UpRev can transfer your license to a different certified Osiris tuner's cable. Otherwise, you may be looking at a tune from scratch again. You can delete the CEL code/indicator with Cipher, but to disable it from showing up again, you have to use Osiris to reflash the ECU (which means UpRev license and ROM file).
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

It won't cost 500. You have already payed the license fee and have the car tuned. You would just need a touch up and someone to turn off those codes. I can't imagine any way you would be charged more than an hour of tuning/dyno time. Figure 150-200.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

It won't cost 500. You have already payed the license fee and have the car tuned. You would just need a touch up and someone to turn off those codes. I can't imagine any way you would be charged more than an hour of tuning/dyno time. Figure 150-200.
How is it going to be a touch up if he doesn't have he ROM file to touch up? You can't download the tune off of his flashed ECU with Osiris - you need the ROM file from his tune to edit and then reflash onto the ECU. So the tables, etc would have to be created from scratch by the new tuner if he doesn't have access to a copy of his original ROM, wouldn't they?

Helpful Hint for Osiris tuned cars - ask for an unlocked copy of your ROM file as part of getting your car tuned. Just in case something ever happens to your current tuner. It should be easy enough for UpRev to transfer the license for your ECU to a different cable, but you want to have a copy of your tune.

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 05-31-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

If he goes to hill's.....they have Dave's dyno and computer. That is why I mentioned them first. Even so....most places have a large list of prior tunes to work off of. Tuning an NA car is an hour to 90 minute job.

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 05-31-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

If he goes to hill's.....they have Dave's dyno and computer. That is why I mentioned them first.
That will be WIN if he can get ahold of his ROM file. Even more win if they have the tuner cable that his ECU is still licensed to.

If they have his ROM file, they really shouldn't charge him more than $50 just to check the two boxes to disable those CEL codes and reflash. However, it would be worth getting a touch up on the dyno for $150-200 to dial things in again.

I'm crossing my fingers for OP.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First you have to get the code read before you can even start to really get down to what the problem is. 1283, 1284, 0430, 0420.... there's a lot of codes that HFC's and test pipes cause. Some are legit errors that should be corrected. For example a 0430 can be an air leak between the two sensors, or it could even be a bad 02 that is not functioning correctly. I've had my 0430 turned off but it will not pass smog because it won't light up the catalyst monitor. Try to troubleshoot it first then if that doesnt work turn it off.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Zazz93
First you have to get the code read before you can even start to really get down to what the problem is. 1283, 1284, 0430, 0420.... there's a lot of codes that HFC's and test pipes cause. Some are legit errors that should be corrected. For example a 0430 can be an air leak between the two sensors, or it could even be a bad 02 that is not functioning correctly. I've had my 0430 turned off but it will not pass smog because it won't light up the catalyst monitor. Try to troubleshoot it first then if that doesnt work turn it off.
I agree completely - see post #6.

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
I would suggest that you first go have the code checked to make sure that the CEL is actually O2 sensor related and isn't something else.

If the CEL is in fact only for your lower O2 sensors (TPs & CATs), have your tuner disable the codes from your Osiris tune. It's as easy as two checkboxes and a reflash.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
nismomike

Thanks SO much for the replies..Im gonna call Hills Garage in the morning and see if he can help me out...Will let you all know what happens!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll have a fix for you but it depends on your code. Find out the code and post it here.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

I think the OP talked to Hill's today....they don't have the ROM files. Not that big of an obstacle to get around, though. Good luck OP.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

I think the OP talked to Hill's today....they don't have the ROM files. Not that big of an obstacle to get around, though. Good luck OP.
Yep. Like you said, a na dyne tune is still relatively fast if a tuner has a lot of base tunes to choose from as a starting point. So it still wont be expensive since his ecu is licensed with uprev. The key lesson here is for everyone to ask for a copy of their rom file. Its a good precaution in case something happens to your tuner. If he had his rom file, it would literally be two checkboxes and a reflash (less than 15 minutes work).
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
nismomike

Well..I wasnt able to make it up there, but took a 260 mile round trip at various rpms with the new j pipe foulers and stuffed with brillo...no CEL...maybe Ill keep my fingers crossed for this one.

Quick Reply: Tried everything for CEL fix...