Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

any real evidence for crawford plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:44 PM
protocav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any real evidence for crawford plenum?

i have heard great things about the crawford plenum, mainly that it is the best bang for the buck modification. does anyone have any input, or mainly a real dyno sheet that shows the advantages. i am all for modifications that truly increase performance across the board, but i am not prepared to pay 500 bucks for 3 horspower, or losses in certain regions of the powerband.

any info or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default you bet

add the Crawford Plenum, the RT hi-flow cats, and a custom ECU flash from TS, and you LOSE 25 rwhp. LMAO

Before those mods, 301 rwhp on a Mustang Dynomometer. After those mods, 276.5 rwhp on a Dynojet. Go figure.

Although what I just said is true, I swear, and I have posted dyno sheets to prove it, the Crawford plenum is great. Enough rwhp increase to honestly feel it on the butt dyno.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:08 PM
KJY9

Default Re: you bet

Originally posted by Jim Jones
add the Crawford Plenum, the RT hi-flow cats, and a custom ECU flash from TS, and you LOSE 25 rwhp. LMAO

Before those mods, 301 rwhp on a Mustang Dynomometer. After those mods, 276.5 rwhp on a Dynojet. Go figure.

Although what I just said is true, I swear, and I have posted dyno sheets to prove it, the Crawford plenum is great. Enough rwhp increase to honestly feel it on the butt dyno.
You can't compare a mustang dyno to a dynojet dyno...and 276.5 RWHP is a nice gain over stock.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
12SecZ

I have time slips that took me from 13.9 to 13.6 with this Mod alone. I would be happy to post them if my word isn't good enough.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Jim Jones
Banned

Default your word is good enough for me

all the need for proof here is disturbing to me. 3/10s gain is good, but not good enough. What mods are you planning next?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
bk_r0x

3/10ths not good enough for a single mod? Uhhh... ok.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 PM
themyst

some people would die for .3 seconds n/a.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:08 AM
wren57
Banned

Just know this- for performance, the Crawford Plenum is awesome. Everybody that has it, loves it. My personal opinion regarding the matter doesn't matter- objectively, the piece rocks!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:59 AM
reallyredZ

Default Re: you bet

Originally posted by Jim Jones

Dynojets and Mustang dynometers are different. It is like comparing apples to oranges. I am also thinking about getting one-but the only dyno I care about is the butt dyno. Can you feel a difference with just this mod alone?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:45 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by themyst
some people would die for .3 seconds n/a.
What a shame.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:48 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by wren57
Just know this- for performance, the Crawford Plenum is awesome. Everybody that has it, loves it. My personal opinion regarding the matter doesn't matter- objectively, the piece rocks!!!
Ditto, I've driven a stock Z and my dad's Z with the plenum back-to-back and my dad's Z pulled significantly harder at the upper RPMS. The redline come quicker on my dad's Z.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:53 AM
350Z_Redline

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I have time slips that took me from 13.9 to 13.6 with this Mod alone.
DAMN!! Based on your results with just the plenum I'd definately say I have a 12 sec Z now; or at least pretty damned close. If I can get traction of course. My 13.48 run was BEFORE the addition of the plenum, flywheel and clutch. I can't wait for the drag strip to open again! Of course by then I'll have the 350EVO TB, 350EVO 3.9 Final drive and the TS ECU installed though. My goal for a 12 second N/A Z seems to have been reached . I'm sure the plenum adds power but I can't say that I felt it. Hell, my car doesn't feel any faster to me than when I first took it to the track and ran a 14.3 so don't go by me, I think my butt dyno is broken . That's why I take it to the drag strip to confirm if a part makes power or not based on MPH.

Last edited by 350Z_Redline; 12-10-2003 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:29 AM
protocav

thank you for all of the great info guys. i noticed some of you talked about the ECU flash. is this a necessarry upgrade to go along with the plenum? i have the injen CAI, and i certainly didn't do anything to the computer after this mod.

also, i assumed the original comparison between the mustang and the dynojet was sarcastic. one of them takes into account wind and road drag, hence the lower numbers.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM
typeR

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
DAMN!! Based on your results with just the plenum I'd definately say I have a 12 sec Z now; or at least pretty damned close. If I can get traction of course. My 13.48 run was BEFORE the addition of the plenum, flywheel and clutch. I can't wait for the drag strip to open again! Of course by then I'll have the 350EVO TB, 350EVO 3.9 Final drive and the TS ECU installed though. My goal for a 12 second N/A Z seems to have been reached . I'm sure the plenum adds power but I can't say that I felt it. Hell, my car doesn't feel any faster to me than when I first took it to the track and ran a 14.3 so don't go by me, I think my butt dyno is broken . That's why I take it to the drag strip to confirm if a part makes power or not based on MPH.
im behind you,just in a different car...12's on the motor is my goal as well
Old 12-10-2003, 07:41 AM
bk_r0x

Getting (or expecting) 0.X time off of your quarter for one mod regardless of what you have installed is ricer math, plain and simple. Yeah, the plenum will help, and I wouldn't be suprised if you compared a stock Z to a Z with ONLY the plenum as a performance mod, you might see that big of a time difference on the drag strip, but probably only with a good driver.

12s motor is going to be tough, but it should be doable with slicks, the bolt-on mods (plenum, headers, cats, exhaust, pulleys/flywheels, maybe some slightly more radical cams), and a decent driver.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Javi

Originally posted by 12SecZ
I have time slips that took me from 13.9 to 13.6 with this Mod alone. I would be happy to post them if my word isn't good enough.
What where the trap speeds? Any significant gain in the mph?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:07 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: any real evidence for crawford plenum?

Originally posted by protocav
i have heard great things about the crawford plenum, mainly that it is the best bang for the buck modification. does anyone have any input, or mainly a real dyno sheet that shows the advantages. i am all for modifications that truly increase performance across the board, but i am not prepared to pay 500 bucks for 3 horspower, or losses in certain regions of the powerband.

any info or opinions are greatly appreciated.
If you do a search you will find this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=crawford+dyno

The dyno was done by Crawford people and shows about a 8-9 hp gain.

There are two serious problems here. First, the dyno is from Crawford. Second, try to find another dyno by anyone who has a stock dyno followed by installation and re-dyno thereafter at the same shop. After a quick search, I found nothing.

When you do your search, you will also find this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=48450

Pay attention to the post by 350z4steve who had the Crawford plenum and did the dyno. His comment was:

"Im not surprised by the results at least in my case with the plenum, reason I say that is because in my best educated guess prior to getting dyno'd and having only driven the car literally around the block a few times after install before yesterday it really didnt feel like it added anything but then again it didnt feel like it hurt anything either that Or my ECU has not adjusted completely because right after install I got a CEL."

I believe that there are a lot of butt dyno impressions, and no real world tests of this product except by their own people. Unlike the Borla TD exhaust that had many people do before and after stock/installation dynos that supported a range of gains, we really have no idea just how much power, if any, the plenum produces.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:20 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: any real evidence for crawford plenum?

Originally posted by hfm
I believe that there are a lot of butt dyno impressions, and no real world tests of this product except by their own people. Unlike the Borla TD exhaust that had many people do before and after stock/installation dynos that supported a range of gains, we really have no idea just how much power, if any, the plenum produces.
This may be true, but we have dynoed 3 different cars on two different dynos and each got very similar numbers . . . the numbers we claim.

Unfortunately, we cant force anyone to pay between $70 - $100 to dyno before and after. We have spent probably around $1500 on just dyno runs. Yes they were our cars, but WHY WOULD WE LIE! Why would we still be running them on our car? If we were fakes or frauds why have we sold and delivered over 125 units? Dont you think we would be called out by now (besides people like you who dont have it). Why does Strictly Z have one and sell them? Why does JWT have one? Why does Technosquare want to help us with tuning? Why have we sold this mod to drivers of Z's, G's, and FX's. Why do we have repeat customers? Why do we have the same customers buying additional plenums for their other VQ35 vehicles?

BECAUSE IT DOES WHAT WE SAY IT DOES! Simple.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:42 AM
12SecZ

I went from 99.8 to 103.4 (off the top of my head.) Adding ET Streets took me to 13.4

I do not consider how adding one mod then running a 1/4 is "ricer" math. That is how it is done at my track and in my car clubs. You add a mod and go run and check and see if you gained or lost time. Much more real life than a Dyno. How is that "ricer."

It's a good mod bottom line and some will always disagree no matter what the product is. The fact that Doug has a waiting list speaks volumes. I give it two thumbs up.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:50 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by bk_r0x
Getting (or expecting) 0.X time off of your quarter for one mod regardless of what you have installed is ricer math, plain and simple.
So real world testing is "ricer" math eh?

Victor

Quick Reply: any real evidence for crawford plenum?